2.3

2007 Jeep Compass suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Compass:

2007 Jeep Compass Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 272011

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to a state inspection station, where the inspector determined that the vehicle was not safe to be driven. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic for a diagnostic test. The mechanic stated that the front suspension, ball joints, steering and brakes would have to be replaced due to excessive wear. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Dec 282011

Compass 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that he could hear noises coming from under the vehicle while driving at various speeds over 35 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop and the contact was informed that the tie rod assembly and all of the ball joints needed to be replaced. The tie rod assembly was replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 31,824. Updated 02/0812 the mechanic replaced the lower left control arm and lower right control arm. Updated 02/29/12

- Hopewell Junction, NY, USA

Dec 022011

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. While having the tires replaced at a tire shop, the contact was informed by the technician that the front drivers side ball joint would had to be replaced due to abnormal wear. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Houghton, MI, USA

Aug 312011

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that during a state inspection, the private mechanic stated that both lower front control arms needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 43,000.

- Bangor, PA, USA

Jun 142011

Compass 4-cyl

Took vehicle for yearly inspection where the car was purchased, new. They were at that time a Chrysler Jeep dealer. It didn't pass the inspection due to the poor condition of the ball joints - mileage at that time was only 14,258. It was suggested I contact Chrysler to notify them. They advised me to take it to a local qualified dealership. It was taken for them to check the ball joints. After 2 weeks of not driving the car due to its dangerous condition, the ball joints and both lower control arms were replaced at a cost to me of $214. The treatment I received and the amount of time it took them to decide to do the job at the "qualified dealer" was inexcusable. I feel Chrysler should of taken care of the cost of the repair, since it was not due to anything I did but the quality of the parts installed originally. This complaint would of been submitted earlier but I was not aware of the NHTSA.

- Pitcairn, PA, USA

Jul 072011

Compass 4-cyl

The bearings melted into the hub assembly and it wore out the brakes and ruin all four tires, now the lower control arms are going out. I have only 43000 miles on the car and the warranty has ran out at 36000 miles. This should not have happen with such low mileage. Alignment will not stay because of the tires and the lower control arms. There has not been a recall but the hub, bearings are not able to geased. So these parts wear out sooner than normal.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jun 222011

Compass 4-cyl

I was informed by the dealership of which I purchased my vehicle that my vehicle requires front control arms and tie rods which was given an estimate of about $900 to correct. My vehicle has 17,000 miles and is out of warranty, however, I viewed numerous complaints online of the same nature on the same year, make, and model vehicle. This appears to be a defect from the manufacturer since there were so many identical complaints indicated online. The dealership requested I do not drive this vehicle until repaired due to a safety issue. The dealership also said the items which need to be repaired will be replaced with a better quality and this occurred on many of these vehicles from this particular year.

- Seven Hills, OH, USA

May 072011

Compass

Developed a noticable vibration.took to dealer and was advised the ball joints needed replacement and the vehicle was dangerous to drive. When picked up the vehicle, invoice stated 2 lower arms and a tie rod were replaced. I have driven many vehicles over 100,000 miles and never have had to replace these parts. Therefore I feel they were either defective or poorly design ed and they should be subject to recall replacement or inspection. Vehicle was only driven on local streets.

- Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA

Apr 132009

Compass

I went in to get my oil changed and my tires rotated and was told my car is unsafe to drive and here is what they put on my invoice (verbatim) "needs both lower control arms passenger side front has a really bad ball joint and left outer tie rod end is bad also price to replace both outer tie rod ends and both lower ball joints $1083 plus tax and that includes the alignment!!!!!!!!! vehicle is unsafe to drive with ball joint is this condition!!!!!!!!!" (literally with all the exclamation marks.) I took the car somewhere else to get repaired (for half the cost) however I believe this is a part failure as I have less than 50K miles.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA