2008 Jeep Compass suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Compass:

2008 Jeep Compass Owner Comments

Jun 072016

Recently purchased a 2008 Jeep Compass from a private owner in Ohio. We went for inspection as required in Pennsylvania where we live. The Jeep failed because the cross member frame was almost completely rusted out. The service manager at the dealership said this is a defect in how the Jeep was manufactured. The placement of the air conditioner with the constant dripping and condensation plus the use of road salt in Ohio caused the frame to corrode. Chrysler is aware of the problem and has recalled 2007 and older Jeep but is not honoring the extended warranty on the 2008 and newer models even though they know there is a huge problem in the design. The repairs are going to cost over $1500 dollars with no guarantee it wont happen again just by using the air conditioner. How many people have to complain or something bad happens before Chrysler will do something about the problem? every Jeep no matter what year should be covered under the recall.

- Crucible, PA, USA

Apr 262016

I have had my 2008 Jeep Compass for approximately 14 months, and just recently I thought I had a tie rod that needed to be replaced. There was a very loud knocking sound coming from the front drivers side and the car pulled hard to the left. I took it to be inspected and as soon as the mechanic got it up on the lift he immediately set it back down. The front subframe is so badly rusted through he was afraid that the transmission or engine would fall through. I am currently out of a car as the mechanic deemed it extremely unsafe to drive and would not let me drive the car back home. There is currently a recall for the subframe on the 2007 model year, my car was manufactured in 12/2007 so I have reason to believe that my car was made with parts affected in the recall of the 2007 model year.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Mar 242016

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Compass. While pulling out of a parking lot, the contact heard a loud noise near the front driver side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician noticed that underneath the vehicle, the subframe, control arm, and crossmember bar were corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the fuel filter was corroded and not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- Dushore, PA, USA

Mar 092016

During my annual inspection it was found that both my front and rear cross frame members were so severely rusted that it to dangerous to drive till they are replaced. I call the dealer who the Jeep was bought from and was told that only the 2007 models have an extended frame protection warrantee that covers this problem. My Jeep was built on 8/14/07 less than three weeks after Jeep cutoff date. After investigating I found that there are several hundred cases like mine that Jeep refuses to cover. The frame should not be failing this fast and as bad. I feel there is a material design flaw that Jeep is trying to cover. More people need to be aware of the problem. My Jeep has no visual rust it looks brand new. Unless the owner or mechanic crawls underneath this can go un noticed until there is a major failure.

- Clarksburg, MD, USA

Dec 162015

I took my Jeep Compass in for a routine oil change when the mechanic discovered that the subframe (cross member and control arm) which secured the engine and transmission was completely rusted through. The mechanic asked me to take a look. The hole was so large I could put my hand in it and the crack ran along the entire crossmember. He cautioned me to not drive it until it was replaced, saying that the engine and transmission could fall out at any time and could lead to a very serious if not fatal accident. Also noted was play in the right outer tie rod and right lower ball joint. My vehicle had just turned the 100K mile mark. I am the original owner and have routine maintenance performed. If I had not take to a local mechanic, this may have not been discovered resulting in serious consequences. Calls to Chrysler customer service eventually resulted in a reduction in the cost of parts (2007 Compass was recalled for same issue). My bill is still over $1,000 and would like Chrysler to cover the cost of labor and parts. The replacement parts used were from the 2007 recall. This is unsafe and should not be happening to a vehicle 7.5 years old. I was told it was because salt is used on the roads. If that's the case, they should issue a disclaimer or safety warning when selling Jeep in areas that have snow and salt. I am very concerned that I had been driving for months, if not longer, in a very unsafe vehicle.the Jeep Compass 2007 was recalled and Chrysler pacifica for the exact same problems. Apparently, not enough complaints have warranted a 2008 recall.

- Petoskey, MI, USA

Dec 102015

The K frame is rusted to the point that the vehicle's steering wheel shakes when going around a curve. Our mechanic was able to stabilize this, but states the frame is so rusted that he can push a screwdriver through with very little effort. It needs replaced. We contacted our dealer, and were told that only the 2007 models are covered by a safety recall.

- Youngsville, PA, USA

May 152013

Noises and uneven tire wear in may of 2013, needs ball joints. (60000 mi). Same thing in Aug. 2015 (85000 mi). And now K frame is rusting out.

- Ashland, OH, USA

Jul 252015

2008 Jeep Compass engine cradle failed nys inspection due to premature rusting. 2007 model year was extended warranty for 10 years on engine cradle because of premature rusting. My Jeep was manufactured in March of 2008. I am sure the engine cradle part was manufactured in 2007 and placed into the 2008 because no replacement or update was made to the part between 2007 and 2008. Jeep refused to cover the 2008 which I had to pay for repair. This part if not repaired and during an accident will cause serious structural damage to the vehicle which could cause serious injury or death to the occupants in the vehicle. I have taken photos and the failed nys inspection notice. I have also made a copy of this report for my records.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jun 012015

Stopped for an oil change, was told that the sub frame was very rusted, mechanic suggested I call Chrysler, he said this shouldn"T be that rusted. Said that the 2007 models were being fixed by Chrysler under the warranty. When I called Chrysler the checked the VIN # and said it wasn't on the list. They didn't really have an answer for me. This is an expensive repair that I can't afford. Sus

- Wayne, MI, USA

Jun 042015

I took my vehicle in for state inspection and a "creaking" type noise. It was found to have the K frame rusted through therefore failing state inspection. I was advised that this is the same body type (platform) used in the 2007 Dodge caliber and the same part number. The 2007 Dodge caliber was recalled due to this part failure which could cause the engine and other components to fall out of the car. It is obvious that Chrysler knows about the issue as they recalled the 2007 caliber but unless forced is not taking care of this problem in other vehicles made using the same platform and parts. When the car was under warranty only 2 years less than 25000 miles I had to have a tie rod replaced. I was also advised by the service manager that "these vehicles are known for this issue".

- Camillus, NY, USA

Dec 122014

Compass 4-cyl

Upon state inspection it was noted that K frame was rusted through resulting in replacement of same and lf control arm assy front sway bar links-repair costs $1617.88. K frame was a major issue in 2007 Compass resulting in gov't action-my 2008 was built in 12/07. Chrysler wont stand behind problem. 2007 gov't action started with a complaint. I hope I can start this one. Vehicle was purchased new in 2008 by one adult driver age 50 (my wife). Suspension has always been a problem starting with new tie rod ends @ 14,000 miles under warranty.

- Ligonier, PA, USA

Mar 102015

Compass 4WD 4-cyl

Dealer service department stated that both lower ball joints are bad, vehicle is unsafe to drive as is.

- Hannibal, NY, USA

Dec 272011

Had to have ball joints and tie rods replaced in Dec 2013. Wheel bearing replaced Jan 2014 and now am told need new transmission.

- St Marys, OH, USA

Oct 252012

Compass 4-cyl

I had replace this part for the second time now in less than 2 years. Auto tech said this should not wear like this for the mileage of this vehicle which is 67400. Currently the Jeep Liberty has a recall for this defect but the Compass does not. This is of great concern to me as this part plays a vital role for maintaining control of vehicle. Both right and left control arms done on October 25 2012. Recent replacement on March 27, 2014 drivers side control arm done.

- Lake Ariel, PA, USA

Nov 212013

Took into have front end alignment and was told ball joints and tie rods were bad. Was without vehicle for over 10 days and the cost was $750. Got vehicle back and within a week heard a rubbing sound which turns out to be bad wheel bearings. Waiting for service shop to contact me as to the extent of the damage with that. The vehicle has under 70,000 which is less than the estimated 12,000 per year. The vehicle is not used for any off road driving. I have put more into this vehicle since I purchased it than I did my old 95 Bonneville, which I drove until I purchased the Jeep. The Jeep was purchased used from a dealer in 2011.

- St Marys, OH, USA