3.1

2010 Jeep Compass electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Compass:

2010 Jeep Compass Owner Comments

Oct 282016

Compass

The car had been sitting parked for 2 hours. No key in ignition. Looked out and saw fire coming out of the rear of the car. Lighting fixture was complete burned out as well as everything else ove to where the gas tank spout is. Fire dept came. Filled out a report. The head lights and other lights inside car kept coming on intermittently even after the fire was out. There was no key in ignition and the car had been sitting parked for 2 hours.

- Parsonsfield, ME, USA

Jun 182015

Compass

The Jeep Compass 2010 powertrain control module (PCM) failed resulting in the Jeep to be inoperable. Because the Jeep was parked in a driveway no accident occurred. If this key module is prone to failure and the Jeep is on the road the driver would lose control of the vehicle.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Jul 112012

Compass

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that the front passenger's side shoulder belt webbing failed to retract. The failure recurred intermittently. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 13V233000 (air bags, electrical system, seat belts) and was advised by the dealer that the vehicle was no longer eligible under for the recall remedy although the vehicle was included in the recall. The dealer performed a point check inspection however, the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Friendsville, MD, USA

Compass

Very hot day in southern California. Driving North of I-15 freeway. For the first time since I owned the car (original owner) I placed the A/C blower control swith in position 4 (max position). After a few seconds smoke began to billow out of the opening of the blower control knob. Once noticed, it got progressively worse to the point that I had to turn off the A/C and navigate four full speed lanes of traffic to pull over in case of fire spread. Once safely on shoulder, turned car off, evacuated car and waited until smoke cleared. Once clear, restarted car and after minutes of no issues with A/C off, proceeded home. Once home did a little research on internet to find out that many Chrysler / Jeep owners have had this issue. Seemed to indicate that many had a similar issue. The following morning I pulled my car into the street and started the car and tested the blower switch based on what I had read the night before. Much to my surprise, the switch worked in all positions except position 4 which now had apparently burned out - without ever causing the fuse to blow. My dashboard smoked, causing a serious and immediate high speed driving hazard, coupled with the potential for a vehicle fire, and the fuse had never blown. As of this writing, the switch has still not been replaced, since after three attempts to have Jeep look at the problem without charging me for the diagnostics, they refused. I am hesitant to have the panel/switch fixed until I have some assurance that this could not happen again, since it is highly unusual to have this type of failure occur without the key safety component (fuse) not working properly. Please consider a thorough investigation before there is loss of life/property due to a flawed circuit design.