2014 Jeep Compass drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Compass:

2014 Jeep Compass Owner Comments

Jul 172015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Compass. While driving the vehicle 50-55 mph for approximately one hour, the vehicle independently decelerated to 15 mph. The transmission failure indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the failure was caused by a safety feature to prevent the engine from overheating due to excessive driving. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 25,440.

- Cranford, NJ, USA

Jun 112014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Compass. While driving at various speeds, the brake pedal was depressed and an unusual squeaky noise emitted continuously. On separate occasions, the transmission exhibited a violent jerk. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to locate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Mar 072015

I was slowly pulling into a parking space in front of local pharmacy. As I was about to put the SUV into park the vehicle suddenly accelerated with my foot on the brake and then jumped two curbstones and went across the front entrance to the store and then hit a parked Toyota SUV and pushed the vehicle back four feet and then finally came to a stop.

- Franklin, MA, USA

Apr 192014

Bought the vehicle brand new with 30ish miles on it, on 12apr14. On 19apr14 (about 420 mileage on it) the vehicle stopped in the middle of an intersection. Would not shift/move. My wife had to floor the gas pedal to get it to chug out of the intersection. I got there an hour after she called me. The hood was so hot I could barely hold it when I opened it. Transmission fluid was pouring out. When the tow truck picked it up it poured more fluid out. It was in the shop until 16may14. The dealer said it was a front transmission pump, and was on national back order. I spoke to tx lemon law and they said sounds like a case. I never filed because I was giving the dealer until 18may14, as that would have been 30 days in the shop.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 222014

2014 Jeep Compass. Consumer writes in regards to transmission problems. The consumer stated 3 weeks after purchasing the vehicle, it broke down while driving. He was able to coast down a hill and get off the road. The vehicle had to be flat bedded to the dealer. The tow truck operator informed him, the transmission had failed, as evidenced showed fluid had leaked all over his truck, as it was being put onto the flatbed. The vehicle was at the dealer for 3 weeks.

- West Orange, NJ, USA

Feb 122014

Compass 4-cyl

I bought my car 2/5/14, brand spanking new (only 35 miles on it). I was stopped at a stop light at night far away from my home waiting for it to turn green. At this point the car has about 365 miles on it. The car jerked a few times but sounded like it was about to take off, like it was shifting by its own. Car did not RPM. It stopped jerking however happened again a few seconds later. When the light turned green, the car would not go anywhere. I had to press on the gas for a long time before the car decided to move or even shift into a gear. Car would move but only in 1st gear, it RPM'd all the way to 4. the temperature gauge showed that the car got hotter than usual. Once I found a safe place to park, I idled into a angle parking spot and by then the car wouldn't move anymore - solid engine light came on. Once I got a hold of the dealer they gave me instructions for towing. As soon as the car was put on the flatbed tow truck, all you could see was transmission fluid all over the ground. It looked like blood, everywhere. That happened on 2/12/14. It is 2/25/14 - car is still at the dealer waiting to be fixed, apparently parts are national backorder and I am angry. I had my car for 8 days; dealer has had it going on 13 days now. At least, though, I am thankful it did not happen on the expressway or what not. I could have died. The transmission is not safe; could potentially cause an accident.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA