7.7

2016 Jeep Compass steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Compass:

2016 Jeep Compass Owner Comments

May 262016

Compass

Severe tire wear on Jeep Compass on 05/12/16 I took a rental car (Jeep Compass, mileage: 10417) in las vegas. On 05/26/16, just as we had passed the mountain routes from durango to ouray, I discovered by chance that both front tires were completely worn out on the inside (see photos). I did not discover it earlier, because the tire tread was O.K. on the outside and the body hided the rest of the tire. Then I drove very slowly. Soon after came the warning light for the tire pressure: The left front tire lost pressure (mileage approximately: 12250). I changed the wheel and was hoping that the right tire held air to the nearest town. We reached the town without further problem. As I brought the car to the tire shop, they told me, that the toe was completely wrong and that wheel alignment would be necessary (see alignment report). Summary: The cause of this symmetric tire wear is mysterious: The car had relatively few miles and there was no event (such as an impact to the wheels), that possibly could have changed the toe. Nevertheless I think, the car was not roadworthy and I'm glad I noticed the problem before it came to an accident. I send this report from germany. As it is not possible to fill in this country and my telephone number, I give you the state and phone number of the rental car company.

- Mainz, NV, USA

Jan 132016

Compass

While at milosch palace Chrysler Jeep dealership in lake orion I noticed the power steering return hose was contacting the front suspension sway bar at stationary curb condition. This is a design violation which I told fca about when I worked there in 2014. The issue has existed now from July of 2014 until now. The hose can wear a hole in it due to a 2 inch rubbing interference with suspension movement and the vehicle will lose steering assist and power steering fluid can spray in the exhaust system causing a fire.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA