3.4

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Jan 122005

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I own a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 5.9 liter engine. I drive the car 5000 miles/year and the car has 39000 total miles. The catalytic converter failed and began to rattle. The local Jeep dealership refused to admit it was the catalytic converter, and said it was the muffler. I took the vehicle to 4 different exhaust shops, and all 4 immediately said it was definitely the catalytic converter. I finally got the Jeep dealership to replace it and they too finally admitted it was indeed the catalytic converter. While I have been dealing with this issue I did much research on this cars catalytic converter. I found many websites with owners of my same car and other similar Chrysler cars that use the same catalytic converter. Every owner that wrote complaints described exactly what my problem has been. They all said that their catalytic converter has broken from between 8000 miles, the average seemed to be 44000 miles, and had to be replaced on average 3 times before 100000 miles. There is obviously a problem with this epa required exhaust part that the manufacturer has been using. Please look into this issue.

- Dallas, TX, USA