8.0

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Jun 012014

Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L

My 1999 Jeep GC stalls at any time. How many deaths are out there from this issue? Know one will ever be linked to the stalling out problem, because it won't show up on the PCM board! We don't know how many deaths are from this issue. I can't sell it, I cannot even give it away! Blogs from the WWW have said they have replaced just about everything, and still not fixed the problem? Are they nuts, not one recall on this issue! Stalling out at 75 mpr, NO BRAKES, NO PST, NOTHING!!!!! All you can do if your thinking right is to slam it into N, turn the key and hope it starts back up so you can have brakes, PST. All that in a sec. You'll be DEAD by then, if you are driving in any large city like L.A., Denver, KC.,etc. Jeep needs to address this issue now before more people get hurt, or dead!!!!!!

- , Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Apr 042012

Grand Cherokee Limited V8

Have yet to determine why motor stalls out - especially when weather is cold.

- , Ionia, MI, USA

Aug 192013

Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L 6 cyl

I've owned my Jeep for about a month and really didn't have any issues until the other day. I was only going about 30mpn, went over train tracks and it stalled, then cut off completely but started right back up. About an hour later it did the same thing while driving. I had to wait about 15-20 minutes and was able to start it again. Yesterday it happened about 4 different times through the course of the day. The first time I was stopped at a red light, started up within a few minutes. The second and third time it took over an hour to start. The last time I was on the highway going about 70mph and it cut off. Again it took over an hour to start back up. This is extremely frustrating and a big safety hazard. I see other people on here with the same or similar issues and need to know how to fix this problem. I refuse to go to the dealer to get robbed for something that could potentially be a small fix. I need a working and reliable vehicle. I need answers!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 012012

Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L

jeep runs good on open road but stalls when stopping for traffic light or stop sign and when reversing into parking spot. had it to shop several times no codes . replaced the pcm because mechanic said it could be the problem. guess what, not the problem. still doing the same thing. mechanics today can't fix a problem with you car unless the inboard computer tells them whats wrong

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 032009

Grand Cherokee Limited V8

My1999 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 1J4GW68N7XC6889389- stalls and stops mostly in heavy traffic condition. stop and go at slow speeds. Some times it stops also on cruising at 80 or 90 kmph. It happens about 3 to 4 times a day at slow speeds or cruising. what I have noticed as engine stalls and Check Gages light is on. Initially all gages looks ok. Within 2 or three seconds fuel gage shows Empty and security KEY sign is on. If you leave it these for 5 or 10 minutes and keep ignition on, if fuel gauge moves (showing not empty) it will start and you can drive off. If traffic is heavy it may stall again after a kilometer or so. If you can drive at about 80Kmph it goes for about 30 to 40 minutes and stall again.

Twice I gave it to two different agency workshops and got the wiring checked and cleaned. On both occasions it worked without any stalling for 5 days and started to stall again. In both occasions there was no error code displayed when checked with computer. When stalling occurs and fuel gauge shows empty; the computer shows NO Communication with PCM. Stalling problem is not there in winter on Highways. I can drive 500 to 600 km in one go. But as soon as it enters heavy city traffic it stalls with loss of power and fuel gage shows Empty along with other gauges.

I Got crank position sensor replaced at the workshop but problem persists. Also tried swapping of the ASD and fuel pump relay. Checked all cleaned all wiring harness. Still problem is existing for almost 2 years now. If Batteries are removed overnight, it generally behaves ok (Not Always) for 3 or 4 days and problem reappears.

- , Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia