3.0

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Sep 012008

Grand Cherokee

My drivers side seat on my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo has broken. 3 of the 4 brackets which are attached to the seat frame have sheered. The result of this is that my seat is only attached to my car by one bracket, in an accident this bracket may not adequately hold the seat in place. When making a turn the seat shifts. This is a dangerous situation with the only remedy being buying a new seat, or making a do it yourself weld to reattach the seat to the seat frame or purchasing a new vehicle. In my investigation to see if I could get a replacement seat I found this site vlane.com/poll/30. here over 98% of the respondents have faced this similar problem. There look to be around 100 respondents to this question that was asked. To track down this site took a rather long time, and my concern is how under reported this situation may be. This problem has still not been repaired and honestly I cannot afford to buy a new vehicle.

- Loveland, OH, USA

Jul 082008

Grand Cherokee

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee seat snaps and breaks while driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and by the looks on the internet its very very common.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Jan 082009

Grand Cherokee

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee front seat metal underneath broke. Metal broke away from the bolt.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 112009

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the metal frame underneath the driver's seat split in half from the bolt. As a result, the seat was not secured properly in the vehicle. In order to repair the failure, the contact must find a seat or a frame. The dealer stated that the repair would cost $600 and no recall was available. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 109,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 132004

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the bolts fractured on the front driver's side seat, which caused the seat to separate from the floor bracket. He took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that he would have to replace the seat bracket at the cost of $1,000. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer did not assist. The failure mileage was 50,000 and current mileage was 110,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Dec 222008

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 10-25 mph, the contact heard a grinding noise coming from the driver's seat. The seat began to detach from the mount and the metal was torn away. The vehicle has not been taken to the dealer for repair. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Apr 142008

Grand Cherokee

Driver side seat snapped from track assembly while driving causing a loss of control of vehicle. No accident resulted as I was able to regain control of vehicle.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Nov 082002

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 2 mph, the driver's seat disengaged from the frame and abruptly extended to the back seat. There were no warnings or injuries. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic on three separate occasions for identical failures and the driver's seat was replaced. The contact was concerned of the safety risk involved. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 52,000 and current mileage was 89,000.

- Ansonia, CT, USA

Apr 212007

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The bracket holding the seat to the floor has broken near the mounting bolts making the seat rock while sitting in it. I am afraid that if in an accident the seat might come completely off of its mounts.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

May 012006

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Front drivers seat is broken. It's off the track and the bearings are broken, which could cause the driver to flip to the back seats if in an accident, leaving no one in drivers seat at all.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Mar 012006

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo driver seat mounts are breaking causing a safety hazard. The consumer contacted the manufacturer but hasn't received a response yet.

- Standish, ME, USA

Nov 282005

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Broken metal driver's power/heated seat frame under normal wear. Same problem as in other people's complaints: The driver's seat frame broke in one corner and is no longer able to be bolted to the floor track. Seat rocks and leans back. Puts a lot of strain on other seat components. Would be very dangerous in accident. Dealer says would have to replace entire seat and track assembly for $1000+.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Sep 122005

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

There are two problems with this model of Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. 1) the tail light socket in this model of Jeep constantly burns out. I have replaced this socket numerous times at $8 - $10 each and have kept all of the burned out sockets as evidence. When the socket burns out, the tail lights stop working once you turn the headlights on. My vehicle has automatic headlights and this truly causes a big problem. I've visited a Jeep / Chrysler junk yard in my area and checked each tail light socket. Each socket is burned out like each of the sockets that I have in my possession. 2) the outside rail that connects the drivers seat to the risers breaks, converting the drivers seat to a rocking chair. I have spoken with the service and parts departments all of the Jeep dealers in a 100 mile radius of zip code (20744) and was told that these issues are a common problem with Jeep from 1994 to 2004. I have also spoken with several friends as well as common strangers who I see with this same model Jeep and have learned that they also have this problem and the below problems. I believe that this problems are a safety issue and warrant a safety recall. I have received two tickets on two separate occasions for the tail lights alone. I can understand having to change a light bulb every year or two but not the socket that the bulb plugs into. This is a serious defect that Chrysler will not address. Please help!

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Jun 012004

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I had owned my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, which I had bought new from brenner motors in mechanicsburg, pa, for almost 4 years when all of a sudden and without incident of any kind the driver's seat came undone on the one side. I believe this to be due to faulty and/or defective construction. I am the primary driver and am 6'2" and approximately 200 pounds. I brought this matter to the attention of the dealership while the vehiccle was still under warranty but was advised that this defect would not be covered under the warranty. Another Jeep dealer (henry gay in laurel, Maryland) told me it would cost approximately $450 to fix including parts and labor. I beleive a defect of this kind endangers not only the driver but any back seat occupants as well.

- Bowie, MD, USA

May 052004

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Drivers seat frame broke in 2 locations under normal driving conditions causing the seat to be unstable and make rocking motions while turning and stopping.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Feb 122004

Grand Cherokee

The driver's side seat foundation broke and came of the track. This caused the seat to start reclining backwards. This occurred because a weld on the seat had fracture. The consumer feels the seat would have separated from the structure in the event of an accident.

- South Saint Paul, MN, USA

Apr 012003

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee larado purchased used in Sept 2002. (VIN unavailable at this time (I'm at work and car isn't with me. If required, I can E-mail info later) after a couple months of driving this Jeep, noticed drivers side front seat felt loose. In April, decided to check out as seat was to a point of rocking when entering the Jeep. Found that front left side (outboard) bolt that holds seat to seat slide had pulled through and ripped the metal bottom of the seat frame. Not sure what caused this, but I've heard of many others that have had the same problem (including searching the NHTSA web site) not sure if this is a defect, but it could present a dangerous situation if any of the remaining three bolts should have failed (seat could have collapsed backwards if that had happened).

- Harpswell, ME, USA

Apr 032002

Grand Cherokee

While driving the vehicles driver side seat became mobile. Consumer had vehicle serviced by a dealership, who indicated that the frame had cracked. The vehicle has not been in an accident or struck by an object. Dealership shimmied the seat, but the problem recurred. The dealership is going to replace the seat.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 312002

Grand Cherokee 4WD

Wife noticed unusual movement in driver's seat while operating vehicle. We took vehicle to dealer for inspection thinking that problem was loose bolt. Dealer reports that seat track is completely broken. Problem seems to indicate design flaw since vehicle has never been involved in a crash or extreme driving. Internet discussion boards indicate other owners of same vehicle experiencing similar problems. I sent a letter to Jeep on 11/6/02 requesting investigation into track failure and am happy to provide a copy at your Agency's request. Cost to repair is approximately $600 (parts & labor). Thanks for your help.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 012001

Grand Cherokee

I will never buy another Chrysler. No safety defect mentioned.

- Dallas, GA, USA