2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 152016

Grand Cherokee

Gasoline odor/check engine light have had this vehicle machanically checked the smell of fuel on startup with window lowered is overpowering..the check engine light came on and I had the vehicle plugged into service computer..was told too check gas cap/replace..which I did..the gasoline odor is still present and the check engine light is back new gas cap isnt the problem. There are no leaks anywhere on the engine or at the gas tank, yet the smell of fuel is still present. No gas line leaks...we need to make these trucks in America again with american parts. Have always owned Jeep have a 93 sport in my driveway right now, but this '01 may be my last...literally.

- Antigo, WI, USA

Oct 062015

Grand Cherokee

I am extremely concerned about my instrument panel. The problem is the vehcile is having odd interminent issues with the instrument panel. The gas light, the tachometer, the speedometer will stop working. The interior lights will come on. The windows will stop working, etc. This poses a danger since I don't know how fast I am going and my all my interior lights come on at night. I am extremely concerned about safety.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Oct 302014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Seat became very hot started to smell like burning.had to pullover till it cooled quit working.the seats had previous repair under warranty.around 2003-2004.

- Kings Mountain, NC, USA

Dec 242014

Grand Cherokee

My vehicle shuts down intermediately while driving and sometimes while turning it on and while sitting in a stationary position at a light. I would like to have a recall because I know many people who have been in accidents and I would not like to be one them... I spent $3000 for a shop to look at it and still they do not know what is wrong with it. I do not want my family or myself to get into a crash because of faulty equipment. At the least I would like an explanation for why this is happening so I can get it fixed properly. But otherwise a recall for these vehicles would be rea suing to my family and I.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Jun 092014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

My Jeep is doing several things that is cause for not driving it because it can cause a accident. It does not always just start. I have to move the steering wheel up & down ^ then it will start generally. When driving the Jeep will rev up all of a sudden especially at stop signs. If I didn't have my foot on the brakes I could have caused a accident. Also I would have to keep my foot on the gas or it would die on me. These things have been going on for the last 2-3 months.when I put my Jeep in reverse or in drive it makes a major clunking noise like my transmission is ready to fall out. This clunking noise started when all of the other problems started! I have emailed several websites & have not received a response to my problem!! help!!!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 092014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and the check engine indicator illuminated. An independent mechanic stated that the tipm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Greenlawn, NY, USA

Jan 032012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Brake light fails to work with headlamps on due to ground wire problem somewhere, gromet on tail light assembly is melted. Defective light could cause rear end collision. Affects all models.

- Wentzville, MO, USA

Jan 072012

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

A year ago automatic door locks and window switches on passenger's side, front and back, stopped working when passenger side front door interior light did not go on when driver's door was open. On occasion, door light would go on making everything operational. This was short-lived each time. Recent item about a GM recall listed this same problem, stating if the circuit board inside driver's door got wet, it could corrode the circuit board, possibly causing smoke or fire. My concern is a safety one. Was there a recall on this vehicle. It is a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited, purchased by a relative in 2001 and transferred to me in 2007.

- New Iberia, LA, USA

Dec 032012

Grand Cherokee

While attempting to repair both driver's and passenger's seat warmer system that was no longer working, I discovered that the factory installed heated seats had apparently shorted out and caused the foam cushion in each of the seats to catch fire. The wiring had burned a hole approximately 4 inches long and 1-2 inches deep. Fortunately, the fire did not spread far within the seat. Upon doing an online search, it appears that this is a very common problem.

- Beatrice, NE, USA

Jul 302009

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The brake lights, turn signal lights, runninng lights keep blowing. At the same time usually the instrument guages also stop working. This is the 5th time we have had to take to be fixed. This is dangerous for us and other vehicles and is going to cause an accident. They could be working fine and go out between 1 place and another. We have been pulled over by police, had people in other vehicles yell at us and almost been hit while turning left due to lack of working signals and brake lights. This re-ocurring problem needs to be addressed properly.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Sep 192011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The plug and wiring to the blower motor on many Jeep vehicles is burning up. I do not believe the plug or the wires, including the tabs the plug connects to, are heavy enough to carry the load of the blower. It is fused at 40amps.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Sep 112001

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

2001 Jeep Cherokee over heated seat driver side burn out.......replaced, under warranty, with defective part, same issue recurring burning coil.....also, back up lites don T work........replaced under warranty, with....defective...same recurring...told no longer under warranty and my problem...$500 plus $1300...for identical repair as warranty work already done and replaced with same defective parts......dates and mileage when authorized Jeep dealers did work or denied warranty on same issues is recorded and on file, and estimated by me at this time...but dealers, and in my file.

- C Lake, IL, USA

Oct 252010

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The left rear brake light does not work when the headlights are on. There is an issue with one of the contacts in the brake light assembly. This has been an ongoing issue and has occurred multiple times. You have to bend the contact back out so it makes contact again.

- Albany, GA, USA

Jan 062010

Grand Cherokee

The car overheated and you can hear the boiled coolant flushing back into the reservoir and pouring out through the drain. This I found out was caused due to the malfunctioning or rather electrical shorting of the ECM (engine control module) located in the hood near the firewall behind the coolant reservoir. This causes a failure in the electrical system so the fan that is supposed to kick on when you turn on the air fails to start. I also recently replaced my inline-6 due to a crack in the engine block causing the coolant to flow and mix with the oil therefore, resulting in low levels or coolant in the reserve and the radiator. It also causes the oil level to increase drastically.

- Elmwood Park, NJ, USA

Jun 172009

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately between 25 and 30 mph on normal road conditions. The entire warning light indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Suddenly, the complete electrical system failed to function. The driver pulled over to the side of the road. The vehicle resumed normal operation after a delay of fifteen seconds. The failure occurred intermittently. In addition, the activation of the windshield wipers also resulted in the engine stalling. Previously, the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic on three separate occasions for the identical failures and the technician was unable to duplicate the failures. The vehicle was repaired for the malfunctions when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage was 65,000. Updated 03/12/10. *ljupdated 09/16/10

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Feb 122007

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

As has been published in two other postings I see, my left tail light would work well, until I depressed the brakes, then it would go out. I had the bulb replaced 2 or 3 times, then took it to the local dealer today. $190 later, it is supposed to be repaired. We'll see...

- Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Aug 012005

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

- the contact stated that this 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee had a failure in the blower motor control module. The contact stated that he had the blower motor control module replaced 2 years ago. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph this vehicle compartment filled with smoke. He contacted the dealership and was told that therewas a large number of vehicles with the same problem, and they could not get the part in fast enough to make all of the repairs. The dealership informed the contact that they had 15 back orders for the blower motor control modules. The contact would like NHTSA to be aware of this problem. The consumer stated there was a minor fire. Updated 03/15/07.

- Lynn, MA, USA

Oct 112006

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Air only blows one speed only at constant speed when accelerating and cuts off when braking. The air only blows hot air and the temp can not be changed. The air/heat started to not work correctly on the passenger side first then reached the drivers side. There is loud creaking noises coming from the dash when the unit is turned on or when the car is cut off. It can even be heard outside of the vehicle.

- Americus, GA, USA

Jun 122006

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Window front mechanism left side and right side broke twice on 3 Jeep that I owned all 2001. Window did not go up on 3 separate occasions had to change the mechanism. Miles varied but all 3 where 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Last incident noted on date you are asking.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

May 012006

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

: the contact stated while driving at night the headlights would not turn off, the battery was disconnected so the headlight would go off. Second, the car is not in park light illuminated on the overhead console while driving 45 mph. Third, the antilock brakes vibrated while coming to a complete stop at a red light causing the vehicle to accelerate. The vehicle hit another vehicle from behind however no one was injured. A police report was filed at the scene. The vehicle sustained frontal damage and was driven home. The dealership inspected the vehicle but was unable to determine the problems. The manufacturer was alerted. Updated 6/23/2006 -

- Camden, TN, USA