2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Apr 152016

Grand Cherokee

Gasoline odor/check engine light have had this vehicle machanically checked the smell of fuel on startup with window lowered is overpowering..the check engine light came on and I had the vehicle plugged into service computer..was told too check gas cap/replace..which I did..the gasoline odor is still present and the check engine light is back new gas cap isnt the problem. There are no leaks anywhere on the engine or at the gas tank, yet the smell of fuel is still present. No gas line leaks...we need to make these trucks in America again with american parts. Have always owned Jeep have a 93 sport in my driveway right now, but this '01 may be my last...literally.

- Antigo, WI, USA

Feb 252016

Grand Cherokee

I took my vehicle into larson Jeep Dodge in puyallup, wa to have two recalls preformed. One of the open recall campaigns are recall F25. This recall involves replacing the electric cooling fan. If not replaced it could separate causing damage to the radiator, engine, or bodily injury. I picked up my vehicle on the day that it was in the service department. I signed and was giving a repair order number jecs380694 dated 2/25/2016. The invoice states the recall was preformed and the cooling fans were replaced as directed by the recall campaign. On the drive back to my residence I noted a rattle coming from the front of my vehicle with increased speed or when driving over bumps. When I returned to my residence I opened the hood to find out what was causing the rattle. I noticed none of the upper grill bolts were installed and the grill was loose. I then inspected the lower skid plate of the vehicle and noticed it was loose and unfastened as well. I then inspected the cooling fan blades and found they had not been replaced as directed by the recall or as stated on the repair order. I have attached a copy of the repair order and pictures of the unrepaired vehicle. I have opened a case with daimler Chrysler, case #28814838. I did return back to larson Dodge 2/26/2016 and requested the hardware back to fasten my grill and skid plate. The service manager and shop foreman inspected my vehicle at that time. They inspected, determined, and admitted the recall was not preformed. I informed them I would be returning home and contacting the vehicles manufacturer.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Sep 162015

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle was crashed into a cement pole head on. Radiator broken completely, engine as been pushed up all the way to the windshield, headlight flew off tires popped, yet airbag didn't deploy. As a result I suffer from chest and rib bruising from hitting steering wheel.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Aug 032015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was turned off. After restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred a second time. On a separate occasion, the vehicle stalled without warning and restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 56,550.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 222015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the temperature gauge started to rise indicating that the vehicle was over heating. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the blades attached to the motor fan fractured into pieces. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact stated that the vehicle was experiencing the failure in NHTSA campaign number: 06V199000 (engine and engine cooling) however, the VIN was not included. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Chardon, OH, USA

Jul 202014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My Jeep Grand Cherokee lost power while driving. I was able to pull over with difficulty. I then put in park and was able to get engine started and drove back home. My husband checked out and thought I might have bumped the key since I need the seat so close in order to touch the pedals. I heard on the tv there was a recall on models 2005-2007. Why not on older? if I had been going any faster I might not have been able to steer to the side.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Jun 092014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and the check engine indicator illuminated. An independent mechanic stated that the tipm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Greenlawn, NY, USA

Jul 042013

Grand Cherokee

I was driving down the road yesterday in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and the throttle went wide open on me, I tried to get it to stop by tapping the gas thinking it was just a little stuck, but it would not stop so I immediately pulled over, had to slam it into gear, got out and ran into a gas station and had them call 911, came back out and my Jeep was shooting flames out of my exhaust and the entire under carriage was glowing red. Resulting in a loss of my serpentine belt, power steering pulley, melted my transfer case, and more that is yet to be inspected.

- Midvale, UT, USA

Jul 042013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I was driving about 45 mph when my Jeep accelerated, I tried tapping the gas pedal in hopes that it would affect it. That didn't help, I had both feet on the brake, I pulled the E-break and it still wouldn't stop and I was redlining. I finally saw a redlight and decided to throw it in park and it rolled another 50 feet or so before finally coming to a stop. I jumped out and ran because it was still stuck and redlining. Everything under the Jeep was red and finally flames started coming out of the exhaust. The fire department hosed it down for about ten minutes before taking the keys out of the ignition.

- Midvale, UT, USA

May 012011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Complete engine failure caused the vehicle to suddenly loose all power. Upon further investigation, the piston skirt had cracked and eventually broke away causing a complete failure of the engine. Resolution was to replace the engine. This is a fairly common problem with the Jeep 4.0 engine after the piston was redesigned around 2000-2001. Jeep should have recalled the vehicles and replaced the pistons before they started cracking and causing engine failures. Updated 05/29/13

- Canaan, NY, USA

Dec 152012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was driving in the rain going the speed limit. My Jeep hit a pool of water on the surface of the highway and started to skid and hydroploane. The next thing I knew it was flipping over and landed on the shoulder of the highway. I was lucky to be wearing my seat belt. I was suspended upside down by my seatbelt. I was able to unbuckle it and crawl out the drivers side window which was completely blown out. Seconds after I got out of the car it burst into flames and the entire vehicle was engulfed and burned completely inside and out. There was nothing left of it but burnt frame. As soon as the car came to a stop upside down, I smelled gas and just a minute or two later the car was totally burned up.

- Glendale, CO, USA

Sep 262012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While stopped at a stop light, the contact noticed a large amount of white smoke emitting from the tail pipe. The temperature gauge reading increased. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing who stated that the hydraulic fan module would have to be replaced. Additionally, the heat would not activate. The technician stated that the blend door would have to be replaced. The blend door was replaced but failed a second time. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000. Updated 11/13/12 updated 11/28/2012

- Washington, DC, USA