2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Jan 012015

Grand Cherokee

I have had ever light on my truck fixed and I still have not found the right thing. And I am seeing am not the only truck that is have that problem.

- Forest, MS, USA

Mar 022015

Grand Cherokee

The engine stopped while driving took it to a mechanic and they said all fluids were filled it was just a "bad engine" I paid 2700 dollars to have engine replaced. The truck still wasn't running right it was having trouble starting took it to the mechanic and he changed the fuel pump 700 dollars. The truck still dose not run right ive had brake lines replaced that broke with no impact or accident ive been told the master cylinder needs replaced there is no brake pressure my wiring is messed up and now both my brake lights are out ive checked fuses and bulbs the truck takes several tries to start it its in the shop more than I drive it its dangerous and I never know if its going to stop in traffic or if people behind me know when im trying to stop I have 6 kids I drive to school every day and I worry about their lives every time we have to get in the Jeep I feel like buying this vehicle was a huge mistake

- Evansville , IN, USA

Jun 232014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, hydraulic); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Mar 162014

Grand Cherokee

I work at a dealership washing cars. We just sold a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was running the Jeep through the carwash. My foot was on the brake, and suddenly the vehicle accelerated propelling me into a wall, and the airbag deployed. I was injured in the accident and went to an urgent care.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Oct 032012

Grand Cherokee

J'ai un probleme de feinag a faible vites les rous qui bloque voiture pique a lavan derap veillez expliquer merci.

- Marseille, AE, USA

May 152013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The contact was driving 30 mph when the front brakes began smoking. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the brake rotors, calibers and pads needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 190,000.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Oct 282012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Chrysler has issued over 10 recalls on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have failed to complete any of the required recall service. They have not received any parts from their suppliers to replace the defective parts covered under the recall. The amount of affected vehicles are over 950.000 Chrysler has still failed to resolve any of the outstanding recalls on my vehicle, and has not offered substitute transportation after 9 months that the numerous recalls were issued, and not resolved due to zero availability of replacement parts. This is a major safety liability that Chrysler is conveniently ignoring updated 06/4/13

- Great Neck, NY, USA

Apr 152012

Grand Cherokee

Driving my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee on 4/15/2012, I approached a stop sign and proceeded to apply the brakes. As I applied the brake pedal, it functioned as normal for maybe 2-3 seconds. The brake pedal then lost it's pressure and dropped to the floorboard. I pulled the vehicle to the side of the road and opened the hood. No evidence of brake fluid was visually apparent at the master cylinder, though the fluid was approx. 1/2" low in the reservoir. Looking under the vehicle at each wheel to see if brake fluid leakage was evident at any of the caliper(s), I noticed brake fluid leaking from the stainless steel brake line fastened along the frame rail on the driver's side of the vehicle. There was no evidence of corrosion or damage of any kind, the brake lines were still bright and shiney, the way stainless appears, and there was no evidence of rust or corrosion on the frame of the vehicle either. I cannot verify that the leak was indeed coming from the brake line, as the vehicle was not on a lift for a better visual inspection. I'm questioning if the brake system has been a problem with other Jeep vehicles and if anything has been documented information concerning this issue.

- Williamstown, NJ, USA