2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Mar 012008

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle would not start. Had it towed to a repair shop and the starter was out. Needed to replace the starter. There are way too many repairs on this vehicle with only 57,000 miles on it.

- Ft Myers, FM, USA

Jul 182007

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 20 mph, the contact was notified by another driver that his brake lights were out. The contact inspected the vehicle and discovered that when he depressed the brake pedal, the brake lights and parking lights failed. The failure was caused by an electrical defect. The manufacturer stated that they cannot help with the brake failure. The current mileage was 185,000 and failure mileage was 184,000. Updated 02/01/08. Updated 02/01/08

- Mt Desert, ME, USA

Jun 022007

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 3 mph in reverse, the contact heard a loud pop coming from her vehicle. She discovered that the plastic fan blade on the radiator fan separated. The failure caused damage to the radiator as well as some other parts to which the contact could not recall. The repair will cost $600. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. Daimler Chrysler stated that they would not pay for the repair because the contact did not bring the vehicle in for repair when she received recall notice # F25 (electric radiator fan). The manufacturer stated that the contact should have parked the vehicle and refrained from driving. The contact went to two different dealers for the repair, but neither were taking any appointments. She feels that she should not have to pay for the repair because she could not get an appointment from the dealer. The engine size and powertrain were unknown. The current and failure mileages were 73,000.

- Woodland, AL, USA

Dec 082006

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Popping and creaking noises behind the dash when using the heating and cooling unit of the 2002 Jeep with dual climate. Sometimes doesn't seem to work correctly.

- Kearney, NE, USA

May 312005

Grand Cherokee

My 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited is blowing cold air out the passenger side and makes a creaking sound in the dash even when the vehicle is off.

- Sandwich, IL, USA

Dec 062006

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

: the contact stated when attempting to stop the vehicle, a loud noise was heard from the front end, and it vibrated. Also, the electric connection to the heater failed causing a lack of heat. The dealer could find no problem with the front of the vehicle. However, the dealer was not contacted about the electrical problem with the heater.

- Denton, TX, USA

Oct 022005

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

My 2002 jigs special edition w/ V8 4X4 has an unidentified electric problem. 3 times so far in 2005 when trying to start the Jeep the system goes completely dark. No electricity at all. It won't start, the lights won't work, the remote won't work. You can't even jump start it. The first time the dealer replaced the battery (even though I replaced it 8 months prior). The second time it started when the tow truck driver went to check the miles, so the dealer said there was no way for them to figure it out. Last night it happened again, again it has been towed to the dealer and I am waiting for results.

- Cave Creek, AZ, USA

Oct 142005

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

This is my 4th Jeep. Here is a little background on this issue. I purchased a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the overland edition. The dealership pushed buying a used certified Jeep vehicle! they mentioned the extended warranty that would take care of any issues that the Jeep had during the last years of my ownership. I went in the dealership looking to purchase a new vehicle but they told me all the added benefits / value from buying from the used Jeep facility! the warranty: As mentioned I purchased the warranty sold by Jeep at the local dealership. The service agreement that was sold by the dealership went bankrupt! gary miller Chrysler Jeep Isuzu located in erie, pa sold this to me. My 1st issue was when I decided to take the vehicle in because of a vibration while driving. I was made aware that the company was bankrupt when tying to call and find out what information will be needed when I go to the local Jeep dealership in Kansas City. Furthermore I mentioned to the Jeep dealership that pushed the contract that I am wiling to purchase the best contract to make sure I do not have an issue with my new vehicle in the future. The constant issues: I have now taken in my Jeep for 6 visits! I have only included some of the payments (see the additional paperwork) but you can see a trend here. This Jeep had been nothing but a problem since I purchased the vehicle! I am now stuck replacing the steering pump for the 2nd time! I have to pay for the replacement and live without a vehicle. I am out several thousand dollars and still have to take this vehicle (that Jeep pushed on me) to the service shop about every 6 months. I just started driving my vehicle from the last service repair (I am getting very familiar to the local Jeep dealerships) and still the item is not fixed and my Jeep is leaking oil all over our company driveway. This vehicle is a lemon and the company that made the vehicle sold me a bankrupt contract.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Jun 162005

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The cooling fan blade just broke while stopped at a light. It made the car thump I thought someone hit us but the fan blades broke the fan shrode and put dents all in the radiator and broke the fan guard. This vechile has had many of the same problems due to the electrical system. We lease the Jeep and have put $$$ in it because they would not take it back as a lemon with in the 2 years. I still hear a beep coming from under the dash that Jeep never found the problem or fixed it. I just had the fan relay changed because it went out. With in the first 2 years I had it in the shop for a variety of electrical problems I have all the paper work. I am afraid the Jeep will catch on fire or cause an accident. I've also checked many other things that were issues with the Jeep. Leaking shocks and transmission pan and emissions is now leaking. The check engine light stays on and every time I get it checked it's a different problem. I'm out of my warranty now but there have been so many different things wrong. The dealer replaced 2 of 4 leaking shocks they left the transmission pan loose when they replaced a part in the transmission. This Jeep is unsafe for the road it has lost power in the past while traveling so they replaced the battery twice with in a month.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 232004

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Electrical problems, check engine light, beep under dash, dome lights coming on, radio goes off, all dash lights(ABS, brake, etc.). transmission problems 3 times in shop for slipping and leaking seals. Leaking at pan, output seal and, drive train they changed seals and 1 month later output seal was leaking again. Govern assembly was replaced 8/3/03 along with solenoid, transduce. Faulty batteries. Shocks all leaking but they replaced 1 front 1 back.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 062004

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The vehicle experienced problem since it was leased. There were engine and electrical trouble. The vehicle had been back to the dealer many times.

- Hopatcong, NJ, USA

Dec 212003

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

My wife & I were driving on I-95 South when my Jeep Grand Cherokee's check engine light came on but before we could do anything it shifted from drive to 2nd gear and went from 60mph to around 25mph while we were still in the 3rd inside lane of a 3 lane hwy so we proceded to pull off the hwy and check out the truck and also let it sit for awhile and in doing so the lite went off so we proceded to get back on and go straight home but as we tried to get on the hwy it happened again but this time we went from drive to 1st gear and we almost got rearended by an 18 wheeler but he moved over at the last second, where we got on there was no break down lane so we had to go for about a mile and in the process we started to loose the brakes do to problems ariseing from the ABS and also the engine was acting funny it started to shut off then it would speed up and it did it 3 or 4 times so when we got off we had the Jeep flatbeded to "greenwich Jeep" in greenwich, ct. Soon as it's fixed I'm getting rid of it but I did want to note the problem with you!

- Stamford, CT, USA

Apr 292003

Grand Cherokee

The consumers vehicle was less than a year old but has had three computers replaced. The dealer has not been able to determine the cause of the failures.

- Hudson, NH, USA

Jan 012003

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Purchased November 2001, had two recalls for fuel system within two months, dealer told me there was previous recall fixed before I purchased. Engine safety warning light has come on and stayed on several days on seven (7) separate occasions. Dealer claims not to worry cannot figure out why. Plus seat heater went out and had to be replaced, interior heater stopped working except defrost. I believe they are all related and is why the engine safety warning light keeps coming on. Also to note--vehicle sways back and forth over small bumps, like riding a small boat in rough water.

- Mount Vernon, WA, USA

Aug 032002

Grand Cherokee

Both driver and passengner get a static shock upon exiting vehicle. Dealer and manufacturer were not notified at this time. Feel free to provide any further information.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA