1. replace engine (3 reports)
  2. junked the car (1 reports)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Jul 012015

Grand Cherokee MP 4.0L

I will never own another jeep. I will never own anything that has the word Jeep on it. we bought it used but we expected it to last longer than the 3 years after we bought it. When I was looking for a car, It was recommended that I get a Jeep because they were such "good and reliable cars". we have had nothing but problems out of this thing. I hate it. I would never advise someone to buy one. I never took it off road, never went very far in it, never hauled anything with it. Only drove to work and took the kids to dance. I never punished this car in any way. I never even drove it in the snow. Who expects the engine to just go out. Needs a new engine and who has the money to do that? I was told it was a problem with this year model. I was told they tried something new this year. Great!!! Now I'm stuck with a piece of crap lawn ornament. I will never get the money back on what I have put into this thing. This isnt the only problem we had, there were multiple before this, this was just the major one. NEVER trust a Jeep.

- , stoneville, NC, USA

Sep 112015

Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L

I am so screwed, I put all my money into this car, and now it is recommended that I junk it, that it is not worth fixing. All the time I've own this Jeep, I was pouring money into it. I had to replace 3 pcm units. It has no redeeming qualities and I would NEVER buy another Jeep again!

Update from Oct 15, 2015:

There was no compression on one of the cylinders and I had to junk the car there was no fixing this without spending alot of money.. I now have no car

- , New Fairfield, CT, USA

Mar 262015

Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L

I purchased this vehicle from a dealer in Florida (Internat- Auto Sales), drove it back to Wisconsin and the motor blew up. Had fresh oil change before making the trip back. Ran fine,no noise, then I believe it spun a rod or main bearing. Will know more when the motor is pulled. Oil pressure was low when operating temp at idle but no lights. Replacing with a yard motor 85,000 miles . Hope this one holds out. Became a very expensive vehicle. Did notice some metal shavings in the oil at oil change.

- , Baldwin, WI, USA

Apr 222014

Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Ho

Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep all have this 4.7 V8 in their cars. They have had a problem with these motors filling up the oil return holes with sludge since 1999. There is no recall that I can find. When the oil gets pumped up to the heads and cannot run back down to the oil pan then the bottom end of the motor gets starved for oil and bang goes the engine.

I bought this car for my grandson for 4 grand 2 weeks ago. He had problems with it dying at stop signs and not restarting. The check engine light would come on. I had it towed to a local shop and they ran codes on it. It came back with cam, crank and knock sensor codes. They put a new starter in, pulled the oil pressure sending unit and checked the oil pressure with a gauge. It came up to 4 lbs at idle. They told me that as scary as that sounds that it was with in specs for this engine. There was no mention made of the sludge problem. They reset the codes and drove the car. They said it was good to go since none of the codes came back.

My grandson drove it about 10 miles to a friend's house and on the way back it began knocking. He never made it home. It throw a rod and now needs a re-manufactured engine. Remind me, why did we bail out the auto industry? Why is not some of that bail out money used to take care of making it right for those of us who have been damaged by the auto industry.

- , Mundelein, IL, USA