2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Oct 112013

Grand Cherokee

See attached diagram. I was driver of car stopped at red light. Jeep Grand Cherokee (VIN # 1J4gw48N72C2253) engine revved at high throttle, while BTSI in park. The driver may be hard of hearing, may have been distracted to hear the noise or know comes from her car, may have had windows shut and been insulated from the sound, but she changed gear from park to drive as the tires were spinning as observed by witnesses who saw or heard those tires spinning while the car was in stationary position. Jeep speed forward about 70 feet to rear-impact my car and crush the rear of car inward. It distorted frame from rear to front or car, and rear impact caused damage to front of car. Prior to impact, my foot depressed hard on brake because I braced or stiffened hard for impact, when I heard the squeal of tires of stationary car nearby, and people leaving a carnival were nearby. After Jeep crushed my car inward, it accelerated again against my car and my efforts keep the brake pedal down, and it propelled my car forward, and then continued on its path of destruction. It wrecked my car, itself, another car, and collided with a another two cars, it hit pedestrians, caused fatality, caused injuries, knocked down parking meters, skidded dozens of feet, broke off its front tires in chunks, skidded its metal rim because that was all that was left of the tire, skidded pieces of rubber of tire, and finally got stuck after last impact, while its engine revved and its tires spun, causing yaw scraping of tires on sidewalk. _police dept found the BTSI defective, and the skid marks show that the brakes were ineffective or inoperable as Jeep's engine continued to accelerate. Jeep driver ran from it after it got stuck because she thought it would explode. The wheels stopped spinning when the motor got shut. Sudden uncontrolled acceleration, ineffective braking, defective BTSI

- Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 012013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While attempting to fuel the vehicle, fuel spewed out. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 190,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 222012

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle was in motion and kept stalling on highway and city streets. Another computer was installed but didn't solve the problem. The throttle position, idle air control, and map sensors were replaced. Vehicle had hard start problem and the fuel injectors and fuel filter were replaced. Started vehicle in driveway and heard popping noises and it automatically shut down. The coli pack had to be replaced. Numerous vacuum hoses have popped off during driving and had to be replaced. No error codes or check engine light would come on even though these things were happening. A year ago the oil pressure sending unit had to be replaced and has currently gone bad again. I have to put the truck in neutral and let it idle before I drive it or the transmission will jerk. I also have to let the truck stay cranked for 10-15 minutes before I can drive it because it takes that long for it to idle down. My driver seat controls will not work, and the passenger window will not stay up and the controls will not work. If you do research on the 2000-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee models, you will find the exact same issues from everyone who has owned these specific years and models. Chrysler knows about the constant issues, yet the 2000-2004 models are not on the buy back list. The dealerships even have a problem trying to figure out what the problem is which is why it costs so much and the problems continue to exist. Owners have had to consult with other Jeep owners to work together to try to solve the problems ourselves. 2002 with only 115,000 miles on it. There would be more miles on it if problems would stop occurring with these vehicles and preventing people from driving. I put the date when it started in 2012, but constant problems are still continuing to this date and year of 2015.

- Macon, GA, USA

Oct 172015

Grand Cherokee

Two concerns addressed: Fuel tank recall: While this Agency has come to an agreement with fca to 'remedy' the fuel tank exploding, I believe your Agency did not take into consideration the contributing factor to this type of incident. The manufacturer had installed a protective metal enclosure surrounding the fuel tank models from 1993 to 2006. The problem is that the type of metal used is prone to rusting out that a vast majority of these vehicles have experienced which during a rear end collision exposes the plastic tank to crack and explode. Air bag recall: Again owners of the affected vehicles will have to wait many months for replacement parts to be produced. The original recall waiting for parts, owners had to wait 12 months for dealership to obtain parts.

- Brooklyn, MI, USA

Jul 292015

Grand Cherokee

I am sending this correspondence after having heard about the safety related defect concerning the fuel tank system integrity in rear-impacts or crashes in certain Jeep products. I own a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I purchased new. My 16 Y/O son has driven this vehicle until now. I do not feel that he is safe driving this vehicle now because of the findings in your investigation. I contacted Chrysler's fca recall info center and was told that my Jeep, was not a part of this recall because, "your rear structural reinforcement is better than the ones that have the recall", (the person on the phone gave me his id #DC1571). I asked him exactly how my rear structural reinforcement is better and he admitted that he did not know. I told him my factory installed tow hitch did not cut it and that I wanted him to explain the difference in my vehicle and the ones in the recall. He could not answer and provided me with the customer service phone number so that I could file a complaint. Instead I sent an email to customer service and I should have received a response within 24 hours. I am still waiting. Can you please tell me for sure if your Agency recommended that the category that my Jeep falls into, be recalled & measures taken to somehow address the issue" I saw the today show on nbc on Monday morning and it sounded like there would be a solution and Chrysler would cover the cost to fix the vehicles or they would have to offer over market value on a trade in for a different vehicle, or buy back certain vehicles. Can you please provide me with some answers. I could never live with myself if my inaction caused harm to one of my children or someone else that is riding with him or in an accident involving this vehicle.can you tell me how my vehicle is safer than the vehicles that were "voluntarily recalled" by Chrysler"

- Sparta, NC, USA

Mar 022015

Grand Cherokee

The engine stopped while driving took it to a mechanic and they said all fluids were filled it was just a "bad engine" I paid 2700 dollars to have engine replaced. The truck still wasn't running right it was having trouble starting took it to the mechanic and he changed the fuel pump 700 dollars. The truck still dose not run right ive had brake lines replaced that broke with no impact or accident ive been told the master cylinder needs replaced there is no brake pressure my wiring is messed up and now both my brake lights are out ive checked fuses and bulbs the truck takes several tries to start it its in the shop more than I drive it its dangerous and I never know if its going to stop in traffic or if people behind me know when im trying to stop I have 6 kids I drive to school every day and I worry about their lives every time we have to get in the Jeep I feel like buying this vehicle was a huge mistake

- Evansville , IN, USA

Apr 022012

Grand Cherokee

Strong gasoline smell inside car cabin....dtc P0455 was found.....split hoses were found at the evap.canister......comment : potential flash fire inside cabin had the rear bumper [ left rear] (driver side ) of bumper been hit in an accident.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Feb 032014

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle caught fire while it was being driven down the road, it was pulled over to side of the road in a driveway. Fire came from under the dash on the passengers side, and the vehicle was completely consumed by fire in approximately 10 minutes. I reported it to Chrysler and they stated because of the amount miles on it they weren't responsible! updated 09/25/15

- Lexington, MO, USA

Mar 282015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I want to know if saftey recall for ruptured fuel tanks is still in effect for this vehicle.

- Sherrill, NY, USA

Mar 192015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, a fuel odor was emitting from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the number three cylinder for the fuel intake needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 01V374000 (fuel system, gasoline). The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Mar 132015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags), NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags), NHTSA campaign number: 02V104000 (fuel system, gasoline), NHTSA campaign number: 02V032000 (fuel system, gasoline) and NHTSA campaign number: 01V374000 (fuel system, gasoline) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The dealer stated that the parts needed for repair would not be available for months. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact noticed a strong odor of fuel emitting from the vehicle. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Oceanside , NY, USA

Jul 262013

Grand Cherokee

I was rear ended in my '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My vehicle does have a manufactured installed trailer hitch. After the accident, it was apparent that the gas tank was still hit by the vehicle. The hitch did nothing to keep the vehicle from getting to the tank. There are visible graze marks where the vehicle hit the hitch and proceeded to the gas tank. Still not feeling safe from the Chrysler recall that the "hitch" will prevent a fire hazard if involved in a rear end accident. Chrysler will not even look at the vehicle since it has a hitch. Photos are available upon request.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 012013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) and stated that it had exceeded a reasonable time for the recall service to be performed. The manufacturer advised the contact that the VIN list for the affected vehicle had not yet been compiled and they were not able to advise the contact if her specific VIN was included in the recall. The VIN was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Clearwater , FL, USA

Jun 042013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My Jeep has a safety recall A-02 safety recall to inspect your vehicle's vapor canister vent hose and fuel filler inlet check valve, nevertheless I was told by a Chrysler dealer in Mexico that it does not apply to my Grand Cherokee. I need to know if this is true or what can I do to have this issue resolved.

- Guadalajara Jalisco Mexico, CA, USA