3.8

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Sep 122007

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Window regulator in passenger side window went out. This is the 2nd time this has happened to my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is a 2002. The first was about 2 months ago when this problem happened with the driver side window. These have each cost me 300 dollars. The part is faulty and Jeep owners should be compensated for having to pay for poor craftsmanship on the part of Jeep.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Dec 012006

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

2002 Jeep limited. Winter of 2007 vents on passenger side only blows cold air. Dashboard, windshield defroster and rear seat vents only blow cold air. Major safety problem because cannot defrost front windows due to cold air. Dealer states that they have been getting flooded with 2002 ltd's this year with this problem, and approximately 50% of 2002 Jeep limited have this problem. It is caused by broken hinges on vent door under dashboard. Cost to repair is over $1,000.

- New Milford, CT, USA

Nov 012006

Grand Cherokee

I am hearing a grinding sound under my dash which is one of the reported first system of a failure.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Dec 072006

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Automatic climate control does not blow air at the same velocity from all vents. Some vents get lots of air, some barely blow air at all. In addition, I have had this problem addressed twice, and still get hot air from driver and cold air on passenger when both should blow hot air.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 082006

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Popping and creaking noises behind the dash when using the heating and cooling unit of the 2002 Jeep with dual climate. Sometimes doesn't seem to work correctly.

- Kearney, NE, USA

Nov 212006

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Heater no longer working.. dealer found to be "faulty blend door" and "recir door". the issue causes windows to fog making it difficult to see while driving. I was quoted $1200-1600 to have repaired at dealer.. it's too expensive as I'm on a very limited budget... but very concerned about the safety of this vehicle

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Dec 012006

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

My Jeep Grand Cherokee has a bad ventilation system. This is a manufacturing defect which affects all Jeep Grand Cherokee's manufactured with auto climate controls from 1999-2004. I have had to bring mine in for repair twice now, and it has once again failed. The levers in the ventilation ducts have plastic components which, over time, break down and crack causing cold-only or hot-only air to blow from the vents. This issue causes major fogging of the windshield at times depending upon how the levers get stuck, which is a serious and major safety concern- I have to pull over and wipe the windshield down so I can see. I lead a group comprised of over 1000 people who have formed expressly as a result of this matter; all of our vehicles are ailing, and rest assured, there are thousands more out there with this problem who probably aren't even aware our group united against daimler Chrysler even exists. It would be in DC's best interest to issue a recall or settlement agreement before this turns into another class-action suit like they experienced with the 99-03 Jeep Grand Cherokee brake rotor/caliper matter earlier in the year.

- Hinsdale, IL, USA

Nov 012006

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

2002 Grand Cherokee dual climate control lost heat in both zones. The consumer stated the problem was due to the weak blend and recirculation doors in the HVAC system. The doors are turned by a motor attached to the bottom of the door at the end of a hinge shaft. The motor stops turning when there is enough physical resistance from the door stopping against its housing. This puts stress on the shaft/door junction and over time strips the shaft so that it spins almost independently of the door. The motor then experiences little resistance and keeps turning.

Oct 182006

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

2002 Grand Cherokee lost heat on both zones of the dual climate control. The consumer feels that the manufacturer should fix the system free of charge.

Oct 202006

Grand Cherokee

I am contacting the NHTSA due to a design flaw in the HVAC system of of 1999 - 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The cause of this problem is the exact same one that countless others have been in communication. Who are experiencing this problem due to the weak blend and recirculation doors in the HVAC systems. The doors are turned by a motor attached to the bottom of the door at the end of a hinge shaft. The motor stops turning when there is enough physical resistance from the door stopping against its housing. This puts stress on the shaft/door junction and over time strips the shaft so that it spins almost independently of the door. To address this problem, daimler-Chrysler released tsb 2400104 - new HVAC sub-assembly replaces blend or recirc door components. These new parts cost less than $200 according to the bulletin, but I find it hard to believe that daimler-Chrysler expects their customers to pick up the tab on a design flaw. Especially a design flaw that is so labor intensive that even though the parts are less than $200, the final bill will be in the $1,000 area. Because it is no recall for this, the responsibility of this falls to the consumer, despite this being a very obvious case of bad design. There were no events leading up to this failure other than daimler Chrysler selling a defective product to the public. A defect that effects a very basic necessity - heat. This failure results in not only an unacceptable comfort factor, but also effects visibility when hot air needs to be directed toward the front wind shield to eliminate fogging. As of this time, I am waiting for a response to this issue before I consider spending over $1,000 on a design flaw.

Oct 142005

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

This is my 4th Jeep. Here is a little background on this issue. I purchased a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the overland edition. The dealership pushed buying a used certified Jeep vehicle! they mentioned the extended warranty that would take care of any issues that the Jeep had during the last years of my ownership. I went in the dealership looking to purchase a new vehicle but they told me all the added benefits / value from buying from the used Jeep facility! the warranty: As mentioned I purchased the warranty sold by Jeep at the local dealership. The service agreement that was sold by the dealership went bankrupt! gary miller Chrysler Jeep Isuzu located in erie, pa sold this to me. My 1st issue was when I decided to take the vehicle in because of a vibration while driving. I was made aware that the company was bankrupt when tying to call and find out what information will be needed when I go to the local Jeep dealership in Kansas City. Furthermore I mentioned to the Jeep dealership that pushed the contract that I am wiling to purchase the best contract to make sure I do not have an issue with my new vehicle in the future. The constant issues: I have now taken in my Jeep for 6 visits! I have only included some of the payments (see the additional paperwork) but you can see a trend here. This Jeep had been nothing but a problem since I purchased the vehicle! I am now stuck replacing the steering pump for the 2nd time! I have to pay for the replacement and live without a vehicle. I am out several thousand dollars and still have to take this vehicle (that Jeep pushed on me) to the service shop about every 6 months. I just started driving my vehicle from the last service repair (I am getting very familiar to the local Jeep dealerships) and still the item is not fixed and my Jeep is leaking oil all over our company driveway. This vehicle is a lemon and the company that made the vehicle sold me a bankrupt contract.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Feb 262005

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

(1) I leased a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have had it for 3 years. (2) 2 window regulators (2 different doors) have failed and all speakers have blown. When I purchased a replacement window regulator for $246.10(1st incendent) I saw that the manufactuer had reinforced the problem area that went wrong with both of my regulators; this tells me that the manufactuer is aware of the regulators failing. As for the speaker, I have been told by numerous car audio rep's that every time a Jeep Grand Cherokee comes in that they have blown speakers(all 6); they go on to tell me that it is because the vehicle manufactuer placed an amplifier that is way to powerful for the speakers. My speaker failed at approx. 23,000 miles under normal use. (3)luckly, I am a trained mechanic and can make the repairs myself or the costs would have been much greater. I have had to purchase 2 window regulators at $246.10 ea and the speakers totaled $256.76 with a warranty. ** also, I would like to point out that when my regulators failed the windows just fell down inside of the door; this left my vehicle vulnerable to weather, theft and other safety factors.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Dec 102004

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2002 Grand Cherokee limited has a known problem with the dual climate control system. A door in the system routinely breaks or strips as soon as the vehicle has passed the manufacturers warranty end date. One side(drivers) of the system works as advertised, however the passenger side will only blow extremely cold air. The cost to rectify this anomaly is around $800 at a Jeep dealership. From reading several automotive repair forums on the internet, this problem is occurring in a very high number, probably percentage of vehicles. Supposedly Jeep is aware of the defective part used in the system and is not doing anything about it. At what point is an auto manufacturer required to issue a recall" is there anything consumers can do to force the maker of the vehicle to fix defective parts".

- New Bern, NC, USA