7.4

1. replace window regulator (10 reports)
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Sep 012013

Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L

This will be the 2nd time one of the window regulators has been replaced. My husband has replaced 3 since 2010. Luckily we replaced them with O'Reilly lifetime warranted parts - so at least the parts will not cost us again - just our time. I called the local Jeep dealership - they want over $900 for the repair. Jeep Liberty has had window regulator recalls and even have a 7 year replacement guarantee past normal warranty of vehicle.

Both passenger windows fell within 5 minutes of each other. Back passenger window is rarely used.

Big Bummer!!!

- , Cleburne, Texas, USA

May 252013

Grand Cherokee Laredo I6

This was my 3rd electric window to go out in my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee. First the driver window went out on me in August of 2011, it was stuck down & would not go back up, cost $700 to fix. Next the front passenger window went out on me in August of 2012, I was on vacation with my family in the middle of a national park. We ended up cutting the vacation short & made the long drive home after it happened. It too was stuck down & would not go back up, cost $500 to fix. And the most recent one happened this Memorial Day, May 2013, the backseat driver side window went out & would not stay up. Once again it happened when I was a few hours away from home & camping for the weekend at a music festival. This time it cost $600 to fix.

I can't believe that these windows aren't made to last longer. 11 years is not too long in the life of a vehicle & it's not like I'm constantly rolling the windows up & down. I live in the Northwest where it rains a lot, the windows are up the majority of the time.

Now I'm left wondering how long before the last of the 4 windows goes out on me & where I will be when it happens.

If this is standard for Jeeps I'm seriously going to reconsider replacing my Jeep with a new one in the next couple years.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 202012

Grand Cherokee ES 3.2L V6

This is the 4th window regulator failure I've had since I purchased this vehicle in 2006. Many others have had this same problem with Jeeps. Why haven't they stepped up and taken care of their customers? It is a poor way to get repeat customers. Total repairs for 4 window regulators in excess of 1200.00 and all of the inconvenience. Never buy another JEEP, EVER.

- , Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Aug 152009

Grand Cherokee Laredo

Just like so many thousands of other Jeep owners, my power window regulators have failed. The motor sounds fine, but the window just slides down before its ultimate destiny -- being shimmed and taped up for the next two years before I finally fixed the stupid thing.

- , Hickory Corners, MI, USA

May 012010

Grand Cherokee Laredo

Just like so many thousands of other Jeep owners, my power window regulators have failed. The motor sounds fine, but the window just slides down before its ultimate destiny -- being shimmed and taped up for the next two years before finally fixing the stupid thing.

This one fell in the middle of a parking lot where I was going to leave my car for the day... Luckily I had some extra shims and duct tape in my car, but that seriously delayed my carpool's departure and made me stress about the safety of my stuff and vehicle.

- , Hickory Corners, MI, USA

May 052010

Grand Cherokee 4.0L

I've now replaced all 4 window regulator on my Jeep. I was asked if I wanted an OEM unit. My reply was, "the original units are junk why would I want that"? I think I bought all the replacements from windowregulators.com. They were around $75/ea. I found step by step instructions on the net. It took me about an hour and a half to complete. You might want to buy some door clips. They break when trying to remove the door panel. I bought mine from an Ebay auction.

- , Arnold, MO, USA

Jul 092009

Grand Cherokee

Rear passenger window regulator failed. Caused window to fall inside door and not go back up. It is a know problem with Jeeps of this model, but Chrysler will not recall. This being the second time this had happened to me, I knew the dealer cost to repair was $450. So this time I ordered the part off the Internet, watched a how-to video and fixed it myself in about 1.5 hours for $100.

- , Plano, Texas, USA

Jun 102008

Grand Cherokee

Window regulator failed on front right passenger window. Out of warranty repair was $450. Cost to repair same problem on most vehicles is less than half that. Technician said once one goes, they all will go soon. Looked up the problem on google and found it is a manufacturing defect, but Chrysler failed to recall. Next time it happened I ordered the part on the Internet and repaired it myself for $100.

- , Plano, Texas, USA

Dec 142007

Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L 6

This is the second one I have had to fix in this vehicle, again go to Ebay and get the parts

and have them installed if needed -

- , Fargo, ND, USA

Jul 182006

Grand Cherokee Limited

Front passenger side window would not go up.

- , Granger, IN, USA