2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Sep 142015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the interior front and rear passenger side power windows failed to operate. In addition, the doors failed to unlock which included the lift gate. The failure occurred intermittently with the front driver's side. The vehicle was currently being diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- St. Charles, MO, USA

Nov 022015

Grand Cherokee

I understand that the NHTSA is requiring fca to extend the $100 gift card offer to owners of these SUV or to install a rear trailer hitch to prevent gas tank explosion in the event of a rear collision. I received a card from Jeep, called the hotline but they are telling me that there are no remedies available for the 2004 Grand Cherokee. Are there any other recourses available to me or is the iformation I am getting from fca correct?

- Montverde, FL, USA

Oct 232015

Grand Cherokee

On 09/12/2015, I was rear ended at a stop light in a Grand Cherokee with the factory towing fact. Trailer hitch and was trapped in the vehicle until assistance arrived. My replacement vehicle, also a Grand Cherokee, has no trailer hitch. After reading several articles about the gas tank fire recall, I was very interested in getting this recall done. I went to bertera Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge expecting a trailer hitch to be installed as a protective device for the fuel tank. To my surprise I was told that the recall did not apply to my vehicle. Recall number N45. When I was rear ended every thing seemed to perform correctly. The trailer hitch bent down to protect the fuel tank, the frame buckled, and the body stretched between the doors. I seems to me that with the exception of the driver door, everything performed as it should to absorb energy from the car striking mine. The driver's door was jammed closed because the top front edge of left rear door overlapped the rear edge of the driver door. This caused me, the driver, to be trapped in the front seat until my passenger came around the car and forced the driver door open. Had the fuel tank ruptured and caught fire I would have been in dire straights. So while this is not a complaint about a new issue, it is a complaint about how the dealer handled my recall. Everything I have read leads me to believe that Chrysler agreed to install hutches on all the vehicles that did not have the towing pkg. Or a mopar aftermarket hitch.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Mar 232015

Grand Cherokee

Gas tank recall im waiting "??"

- Griwold, CT, USA

Dec 312014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Purchased and installed 4 new Goodyear Wrangler in September at town fair tire. While my son was driving at approximately 25 mph the right front passenger tire came off of the rim causing loss of steering which resulted the vehicle hitting a utility pole and going off road and hitting a stone wall, went to town fair and was asked what do you want us to do about it manager didn't seem to inclined to help us.

- Stamford , CT, USA

Apr 152014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that she received notification of NHTSA campaign number 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) and was informed by the dealer and manufacturer that the parts were not available. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 06/27/14 updated 07/2/2014

- Wakefield, RI, USA

Feb 172014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Windows don't work, door locks won't work, inside lights stay on..second time for this problem.

- Telford, PA, USA

Jul 272013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

When braking to come to a complete stop, in a mcdonald's drive thru, the car accelerated of its volition and lurched forward. Brake pedal had to be depressed excessively to counter act acceleration.

- Isanti, MN, USA

Jan 262011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that every plastic interior door handle had fractured, making it difficult to exit the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and as advised that each handle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Fruitland, FL, USA

Aug 282008

Grand Cherokee

1. raised hood to change oil. 2. gas struts that hold hood open failed to hold hood open. Fortunately, no one was in the path of the hood.

- Cross Lanes, WV, USA

Oct 012004

Grand Cherokee

I have been having a problem with my Jeep from the time I got it with the quality of the paint job when I got my Jeep from abernathy in Lincoln on North Carolina I had noticed that the paint job had some light swirls. The sales rep told me I could bring back the car and get it cleaned and that would probable take care of the swirls as it was just need of a hand wax. A few days later I waxed that car by hand with a recommended hand wax from the local Napa dealer. The problem did not get any better and I noticed the situation more after I made the car shine. I also started to see the bars on the bottom of the Jeep were chipping. I took the Jeep back to abernethy and got with the service manager named barry. Berry said he would have to contact the service rep to come in and look at the situation. Barry called me back and said that the rep did not need to look at the bars and that Jeep was not interested in taking care of the chipping as that was not covered under warranty and the bars were going to get chipped as they were bush guards. I informed him that my Jeep had not been off road and that these chips were from simply getting in and out of the Jeep with my wife's shoes. Barry informed me to bring in the Jeep and they would take the bars off and repaint them but the rep really had to be the one to look at the paint on the car. I waited for my car to be serviced with oil change and walked around the lot. I looked at other Jeep as well as other cars on the lot and noticed they also had many swirls and they were very noticeable under the bright sun. There was another sales man walking around and I ask him to take a look at the swirls and if he had any suggestions of how to get rid of them. The salesman I spoke to and showed was the sales manager at abernethy and he said he could only contact the rep also. The 1st appointment was set up with a day notice that the rep was going to be

- Bessemer City, NC, USA