2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 132016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was stationary, the tail lights and brake lights malfunctioned. The contact stated that the tail light and brake light coverings melted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Feb 072016

Grand Cherokee

Replaced tail light housing units only to have them go bad again. Wire harness needed to be replaced numeral times, electrical system for doors and windows had to be replaced numeral times. Gauges on dash board wouldn't work half the time. Just had a mva with a deer and extensive damage to the front of the car and no airbags were deployed, the accident was so extensive that the car was totaled!

- Ridgeway, OH, USA

Nov 012014

Grand Cherokee

I've had problems on and off with the power windows, door locks, interior lights and stereo system. The power windows/door locks do not work. Unless I turn the interior dimmer light switch to the off position, the lights stay on. When this is done, I cannot see the displays (I.e., speed, etc.). the stereo system will play and the cd player works; however, I cannot see the display at all --- channels, track #S, etc. All of these issues, except the stereo system, create driving hazards.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Oct 202015

Grand Cherokee

I have had issues with my idash lighting going so dim you can't see anything on it and when that happened my power windows stopped working it was like that for about a week then it just fixed its self now a year later and all my power windows don't work again. And the lighting inside the vehicle works one day and not the next. This has happened for about two years off and

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Oct 022015

Grand Cherokee

The lights on the vehicle become dull due to the hazing of the plastic causing low lighting

- Bessemer City, NC, USA

Sep 282015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the exterior amber side reflectors did not illuminate while driving 30 mph. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 06E064000 (exterior lighting). The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Lenoir, NC, USA

Aug 012015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that after the ignition key was turned to the on position, the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The contact mentioned that when the vehicle was started, the instrument panel failed to illuminate. In addition, the contact stated that the front headlights became inoperable without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 142014

Grand Cherokee

Have replaced the entire rear tail lights due to the lights not illuminating when brake is pressed. The mechanic indicated he see's this all the time with the Jeep Cherokee's. there is a problem. I drove around all day not knowing I had no brake lights. This is a problem even after replacing I had to return to have it fixed again. This need to be looked at.

- Kingston, TN, USA

Sep 012013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I brought my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee June 2004, barley used. I have repaired a lot of things under the hood especially with the sensors and the black harness wire in the drivers side door, it split in 2 and stopped running in the middle of traffic. I had to have it sliced and mended together, after 8 months recently, I had to repair the black wire again due to moisture setting in the tape and wires, I read on the internet Chrysler should have never put the black or yellow where's in the door, because they bend and break. This caused my the lights to stay on and remote side mirrors not to work. The dash board meters went haywire, I had the alternator replaced, sensors and throttle body cleaned and replaced. The engine light stays on constantly now, giving codes of P0141, P0137 with bad fuel mpg. It rides like it is smothered in feathers. I was advised that it could be the fuel pump. I recently had the fuel injectors replaced, the engine light went out, for 2 day's and now back on. How frustrating after buying this car for $23,900 in 6/2004, I have paid an estimate in car repairs of $4-5000 so far. If Chrysler knows about these problems they need to confess, and fix these problems with recalls. Please look into these issues. I am sure others are suffering too.

- New Castlle, DE, USA

Sep 062014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 35 mph, all the warning indicators on the instrument panel illuminated. The contact mentioned that there was a shortage within the electrical switch board and the exterior lighting failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Jul 122012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the headlights were discolored. The contact stated that when driving at night, the headlights did not illuminate properly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Leechburg, PA, USA

Apr 042011

Grand Cherokee

I have replaced the rear passenger tail light multiple times. The light will not illuminate with a new bulb. The rear passenger window regulator has become ungrounded multiple times. There is no power on the passenger side of the car. I have spoken to multiple Jeep owners with models of the same make and model and they have had the same issue of sorts. I had contacted Jeep as well, only to be told the vehicle is old. I purchased the car 9/2007 and within one months time the regulator died and was repaired. The vehicle was 3 years old. The regulator on the same window failed and the taillight began to malfunction.

- Durham, NC, USA

May 152013

Grand Cherokee

Defect in electrical wiring in driver-side door prevents windows from rolling down (a safety hazard) and doors from locking/unlocking. The back hatch will either remain in locked or unlocked mode depending on when the wiring fails (this model Jeep does not include a manual way to use a key to unlock/lock the back hatch). If a pet was in the back of the SUV that had a "pet fence", there would be no way to get the pet out of the vehicle (or luggage/cargo). This is especially concerning in the event of a rear end collision where the gas tank may catch on fire (current recall). The interior lights also stay on as if a door was open. Turning off the interior lights prevents the speedometer/odometer/gauges/etc from illuminating at night. If the lights are not turned off, then all interior lights remain on causing a hazard at night as well. Driver-side wiring was fixed in October of 2012. In September of 2013, the passenger-side wiring is causing the same problem - windows/door locks don't work and the interior lights stay on. This problem is not an anomaly. It is very concerning that the wiring can fail in both front doors within a one year period - creating safety issues.

- Rockford, MI, USA

May 162013

Grand Cherokee

Both brake light lamps appeared to be blown. Plastic around the lamps are scorched and discolored to brown. The black plastic under the contacts on the larger light housing assembly have melted and dropped away lower than the contacts on the light assembly socket can reach, therefore continuity is broken and neither light will work. Plastic under the contacts is now deteriorating and cracking due to the heat of the bulb or too much current draw. This lamp is also the nighttime running lamp so it will be on constantly during the evening hours. It concerns me that the plastic around this lamp is defective and cant take the heat to the point that L/R brake light system fails. Other bulbs and sockets in use in this assy. Don't appear to be affected. Is there a fire hazard?

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Dec 202012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the interior lights failed to shut off automatically after entering the vehicle. The contact also stated that the window control module failed to open or close the windows and the door locks failed to function. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Old Town, ME, USA

Nov 282012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

My Jeep brake lights are defective. When I press the brakes, the tail lights turn off and do not glow. They have been repaired multiple times without success. Can Chrysler please recall the defect"?" thanks.

- Schertz, TX, USA

Mar 122009

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Jeep Cherokee which has an electrical issue where the power windows, door locks and everything on the drivers side door control panel do not work as well as the interior lights do not turn off, all causing a safety issue.I found out this is a known issue with Jeep Cherokee due to the wiring inside the front drivers side door. I had this issue in 2009 after at about 46,000 miles. When calling the dealership I was told that this is a known issue and the dealership give me an exact price over the phone as they knew of this issue. Since the dealership was very rude and price was very high.I had the repairs done at a highly regarded repair shop which specializes in electrical work which cost $201 but now (at 80,000 miles) the exact same issue has happened again due to the opening and closing of the front drivers side door. The wiring harness is located on the driver's side door, but the harness is too small to sustain all of the wires. When the door is opened, the wires come out of the harness and break, which causes everything on the drivers side door panel not to work. This includes the power windows, door locks, interior lights and power mirrors all of which cause a safety hazard. I believe that this should be a recall for Jeep that they should fix free of charge especially since this is a known issue. I feel that it's very reckless of Jeep to not recall this known safety issue and allow their customers to drive with windows and door locks that to not work or interior lights that do not turn off. In order to turn off the interior lights I had to remove the fuse which can be very dangerous at night and makes it very difficult see any of the instruments. This car is used by my handicapped wife and due to this issue I will not let her drive at night as I feel this car is very unsafe in it's current state.

- Mount Arlington, NJ, USA

Nov 142012

Grand Cherokee

I know of at least 4 people who have Jeep vehicles and we are constantly replacing the tail light, brake light and or having issues with electrical functions. Within 2years I have personally replaced my entire driver tail light, bulbs 4 times. I have searched for any recalls and I have only found 1, but nothing in regards to electrical and or brake light issues.

- Riverdale , GA, USA

Nov 102010

Grand Cherokee

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo: The brake light bulb housing has melted due to overheating causing the brake lights to not work when depressing the brake pedal.

- Prattville, AL, USA

Oct 012007

Grand Cherokee

I recently purchased a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and noticed the right tail light was out. It was repaired and then went out again recently. It is not the bulb! my father also has a Jeep Grand Cherokee and he too has a tail light that doesn't work on a consistent basis. I have since begun to notice that there are many other Jeep with driving around with tail lights out. I am wondering if it is some kind of manufacturing flaw in the light or the wiring system. I would greatly appreciate your assistance in researching the matter. I am afraid I am going to get a ticket for a problem that I believe to be fixed when the thing goes out again.

- Richmond , VA, USA