2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Feb 012013

Grand Cherokee

All four interior door handles are falling apart. One door handle is completely inoperable and as such the passenger is unable to open the door from the inside. This presents a huge safety issue. The driver's door handle is barely hanging on and I fear that soon I will not be able to open my door from the inside anymore. Chrysler has yet to issue a recall on this very defective product. Please pressure Chrysler to issue a recall to address this issue. The cost to replace the door panels for all four doors is over $2,000.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 122011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that all four interior door handles were fractured and passengers were unable to open the doors from the inside of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Kihei, HI, USA

Oct 282013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that upon inspection, the driver's side door handle panel and the passenger's side rear door handle panel failed to operate normally. The contact also mentioned that the problem recurred intermittently and passengers could not exit the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the handles had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Kenner, LA, USA

Oct 062009

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that all four interior door handles were fractured and as a result, three of the doors were unable to be opened from the inside of the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 9,000 and the current mileage was 33,000.

- Steward , FL, USA

Mar 042013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a very flawed interior door handle. The plastic molding of the interior door trim panel is composed of composite material that is susceptible cracking and breaking, at the focal point from which the door handle is located. All four of our interior door handles are broken, rendering our escape from the vehicle from an accident thru the use of our windows or windshields. After doing some research, I've discovered that this a common theme for this particular vehicle: www.jeepforum.com/forum/F67/2005-broken-interior-door-handles-1132403/ www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2010/11/Jeep-grand-Cherokee-interior-door-handle-broken-recall/http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php"511563-broken-rear-inside-door-handle-any-experiences townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F16A9E4/88 www.jeepgarage.org/F5/2005-wk-limited-with-broken-interior-door-panels-5834.html just to name a few from a simple google search. I find highly irresponsible for a corporation such as Chrysler to not take ownership of the failure of their vehicles design. So I am begging you is there anything that I can do to remedy this situation" I honestly do believe that my fiance's Jeep is unsafe to drive because if she is ever involved in an accident, she may not be able to get out of the vehicle in time. After contacting my local Jeep dealership I was absolutely shocked from the solution to my problem.to replace the broken door handle on the vehicle, you must replace the entire interior door trim panel. Costs: Front driver and passenger doors- $947 each; rear passenger doors- $640 each.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Aug 012013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The door handle was made with cheap plastic and came completely off on one door. I have 3 kids, this is a huge safety concern if there is an accident they will not be able to get out. All 4 door handles have a crack in the handle ready to break off at any moment that is visible to anyone who looks at the door.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jun 112013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

On June 11, 2013, I pulled into a convenience store parking lot. I put my (2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee) in park & got out (the engine was still running). After a moment or so, my Jeep started rolling forward. It rolled between the fueling islands & it was headed towards the street. My Jeep hit a yellow pole & that stopped it from rolling into the street. (the yellow pole is a safety pole that protects the fire hydrant). I am 100% confident that I put my Jeep in park before I got out of it. I was shocked & scared when I saw it rolling down the lot. I filed an accident claim with my insurance company. The damage was around $6,000. My deductible was $500. Today, (August 13, 2013), I received a safety recall notice from Chrysler. The reason for the recall is the "final drive controller module software may unintentionally cause the transfer case to shift into the neutral position without input from the driver. This condition could allow the vehicle to roll away inadvertently while the vehicle is parked and cause a crash without warning." I was (and I still am) 100% confident that I put my vehicle in park before I got out of it. What are my options at this point" my insurance company paid the claim & I paid my deductible. Now, my insurance rates will go up. Who should be responsible for this? how do I proceed"

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 122013

Grand Cherokee

All four (4) interior door handles have cracked. The result of this issue will impact the ability to exit the vehicle from inside. In the event of an emergency such as fire/accident, passengers will not be able to adequately exit the vehicle to escape from potential injury/threat.

- Monaca , PA, USA

Jul 022012

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The area where the door handles cracked and the handles are hanging from them, happened during a period of weeks, the doors and handles were used in the manner that they intended to be used. I have been looking on line and it seems to be a common complaint for this make and model so I think there must be a recall and the company should pay for the repairs. The local dealership wants to charge $250 to repair each door and it has been impossible for me to find used parts. Step-up to the plate Jeep! the vehicle was not cheap and is not the buyer's fault that the company appears to use cheap parts for their vehicles.

- Marion, AL, USA

Mar 202013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The interior door handles broke when being lightly used. The plastic cracked and the handle came off. It looks like this is a common issue. I email Chrysler about this and they blew it off as no big deal. This is a big deal and a safety issue!! if the handle breaks at a time when emergency evacuation from the vehicle is needed then that person will become trapped. This needs to be addressed.

- Minnetonka, MN, USA

Jun 192013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Door handle cracked if there was fire and a frantic person used it, it would break. I feel this issue is a big safety hazard Jeep should replace with better material it already has to go in for a different recall.

- Mosinee, WI, USA

Sep 142009

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The problem of defective door handles started when the car was about four years old and has gotten progressively worse. There have now been two incidents of door handles breaking off completely and there is soon to be a third. As of now both inside door handles for back seat doors are completely broken off making it impossible to exit the back doors from inside the vehicle unless you open the window and reach through to unlock the door from outside. The vehicle has power windows making it even more difficult to exit the rear doors of the vehicle in case of an emergency. The door handle on the driver's side is still functional but is badly cracked and a piece of plastic has now fallen off. It is now very close to breaking off. (it is only a matter of time until it is completely broken). The material that these door handles are made from is of very poor quality. I am worried that the driver's door handle may break now and in case of a fire or other emergency the driver and backseat passengers will be unable to exit the vehicle safely. Your attention to this matter of safety is appreciated.

- Moore, SC, USA

Oct 012012

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I'm active duty member and been stationed overseas since 2007, my vehicle has been in storage since, last September was taken out so my wife could drive it, a month after taken out of storage all door hands broke -off, now we are not able O open doors from the inside creating a safety issue, looking on line I realized 'm not alone with this issue, my vehicle has only 51, 000 miles and I shouldn't have issues of this caliber.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Aug 012012

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Door handles inside the vehicle are all broken, making it impossible to open doors inside the cabin. This of course makes for a considerable safety issue if driver or passenger needed to exit vehicle in case of an accident. Jeep wants approximately $3000 to fix plastic handle supports. This should be a recall on all affected models. It seems to be a very common problem. But as usual, a class action lawsuit will probably be required to fix a simple $5 part. I find it completely unacceptable that this can not be fixed for a reasonable price. Jeep is basically robbing the public for those who wish to pay the amount for the repair.

- Midland, TX, USA

Mar 122013

Grand Cherokee

All of the interior door handles molding are broken and because of that, you can not open the doors from the inside using the doors handles.you have to let down the windows to open both of the back and front passenger doors in order to get out of the car. The driver side is beginning to have the same trouble with opening. The dealer price for replacement cost is about $2500 not including labor. I checked the internet for a solution only to discover that is a major problem with this year's model and many complaints have been filed with Chrysler. All said that Chrysler refused to help with the problem which is very costly for the average working person. To me it is a serious safety hazard when driving the car. What if the car catches fire, or rollover in a accident or goes in a body of water? I am hesitate to drive the vehicle because of that. All car owners expect to make repairs to their vehicle from daily use. However, it should not be the owner responsibility to pay for a repair when it is a know fact that many owners are having the same problem on the same model and year of the vehicle. Chrysler should be made to have recall to correct the problem.

- Miami Gardens, FL, USA

Mar 162013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the driver and passenger side front door handles were fractured, causing the door handles to separate from the door panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 34,558.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Mar 012012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while attempting to exit the vehicle, the driver's side interior door handle fractured. Also, she stated that the other three doors panels were cracked right under the handle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 126,000 and the current mileage was 135,000.

- Riverdale , GA, USA

Feb 092013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Passenger opened up their door to exit the vehicle, and a hole cracked in the door panel next to the door handle. There was no abuse to the door, just a weak spot and defect in the manufacturing of the door panel. Jeep does not sell just the inside door handle piece, they make you replace the whole door panel which is quite expensive! there are numerous complaints of the same thing happening to other Jeep owners with vehicles of the same year. This is a safety issue if you cannot open a door in case of an accident or emergency!

- Stuart, FL, USA

Dec 102008

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

All 4 interior door latches broken- 3 will not open from inside!!!!!!! will happily join any class action suit! 3rd Jeep owned but now last one!

- Troy, VA, USA

Dec 032012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Broken interior door handles. Passenger back handle is completely gone, door cannot be opened from inside. Driver side front is about to fall out and the other 2 are cracked. This is a serious defect. If the doors cannot be opened from inside, passengers and driver can be trapped in an accident.

- Frisco, TX, USA