2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 142016

Grand Cherokee

Remedy: Chrysler intends to repair vehicles free of charge (parts and labor). However, the part required to provide a permanent remedy for this condition is currently not available. Chrysler is making every effort to provide the part as quickly as possible. ****this was 2014, no updates so far as to parts being available. Two years is not timely.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Oct 292016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owned a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While changing lanes at approximately 40 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. The brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The manufacturer and the dealer were made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Sep 142016

• 1,270,000 miles
"takata recall" I purchased a Jeep for 7,500. Put 3,000 down and financed the rest. Next day, the axle boot was broke. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced it. At that time, I realized they gave me a 29% finance rate. So I bought they vehcile right out by writing a check for $4890. With asking if the vehcile had any major issues or been in the shop for any serious engine or transmission work, I was promised the vehcile was in good standing condition. Next day, with my fiance and my 20 month old son in the newly purchased vehcile, headed out for a vacation. About 10 mins from our home and the axle they just replacedon't broke and the transmission went. The vehcile had no emergency brakes and no hear, not even park. I had to pull into a person's yard and do donuts until it stopped. Got it towed home and called the bank and cancelled the check. Now the have towed the vehcile away and say I write bad checks. Yet I have paperwork from the bank supporting my cancellation on the check and record of funds to purchase the vehcile. Seeking legal advice now. I did purchase "as is"....yet, that doesn't uphold to fraud and warranty of mechanism on the vehcile.

- Elkwood, VA, USA

May 302016

Grand Cherokee

I purchased some hawk brand rotors and brake pads to replace what I had oem. Immediately, the product began to fail. After having the product on the vehicle for 2000 miles the brake pads had to be replaced. I contacted the company who refused to accept responsibility for the faulty product. There was increased stopping distance, which created as a safety issue as well as the brake pads not being able to keep the vehicle from moving forward when parked on an incline.

- Westland, MI, USA

Dec 232015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owned a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 30 mph, the power steering and power brakes failed. As a result, the contact crashed into a median. The air bags did not deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 122016

Grand Cherokee

While I was driving on a main road, my car completely shut down. My steering wheel was locked, gas and brake petal were not working, basically my car was going on its own. Worst part was that it was going on a slant while other cars driving 45/50 miles per hour heading towards me. I could not stop my car, nor drive my car, nor try and steer myself to a safe location. My car just kept going. Something needs to be done. I have almost lost my life 2 times already. I do not feel safe driving my vehicle. Everytime I go to Chrysler... they do not know what to do or what is going on. When will this be fixed and how?

- Washington, MI, USA

Dec 312015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle decelerated and the brake pedal failed to respond when depressed. In order to come to a stop, the vehicle was driven up an incline. The brakes were engaged and the vehicle rolled backwards and crashed into a tree. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 237,000.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Nov 082015

Grand Cherokee

Recall P41 on 11/8/2015-I was driving my 05jgcl and I had a blow out in the R/F wheel causing me to bounce around and lose control of vehicle where my knee came in to contact with the igniton causing my vehicle to turn off- when trying to restart the Jeep the vehicle in front of me stopped short I then forced wheel to the right and I came into contact with a utility pole causing total loss of vehicle

- East Providence, RI, USA

Nov 132015

Grand Cherokee

I was leaving the car wash and after putting the Grand Cherokee in drive with my foot on the brake it accelerated on its own and the brakes were not responsive. Unable to stop or slow down, to avoid traffic, I crashed into a stone wall. The car is totaled and I had serious injury to my head as the airbag also did not deploy.

- West Nyack, NY, USA

Aug 012010

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly shut off. The contact also indicated that the speedometer did not function. While depressing the brake pedal, the brakes malfunctioned and the vehicle would not stop. The cause of the failures were not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) was received in September of 2015. After contacting the dealer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were still not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be given. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 032014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and stalled. In addition, the contact stated that the check and ABS warning lights illuminated. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 97,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 072014

Grand Cherokee

Lights lit on dash, ABS, traction control, & service electrical brake system.replaced brakes & no change lights still lit up.got recall notice P41 in Sept, 2014 stating problem with ignition switch, & that the part is not available & will contact me when its available.it is now over a year later still nothing and is way beyond a reasonable of time for repair !!! after driving all winter without the traction control.now when I drive the vehicle when I turn it off it won't start & it wont start for 11/2 to 2 hours I am just stuck waiting & waiting! it is totally random sometimes it starts & sometimes it will only crank for a split second and then I am stuck, tried to jump it doesn't help at all makes no difference.also the headlights will flash off & on at times, as well as the dash lights.this is my only car so this is a major problem for me.have spoken with the dealer can't help parts not available.

- Thurmont, MD, USA

Sep 152015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 35 mph, the engine light illuminated and the vehicle stopped after making a left turn. In addition, the power steering and brakes failed. The contact received a recall notification; however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 122,900. Updated 11/23/15 the consumer received a recall notice, regarding the ignition switch, after she had already paid to have it replaced. Updated 12/28/15.

- Freeport , IL, USA

May 282015

Grand Cherokee

I was on my way to work and in mid motion the cars engine power steering and brakes shut off. Luckily I was going slow enough that I was able to stop my car and restart it without any accidents. But I'm terrified the next time will I won't be so lucky.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 062015

Grand Cherokee

When it started malfunctioning, I would be just driving and my Jeep would just shut off, engine, power, all the dash lights come on, and steering becomes difficult as well as braking, and now it won't start. This is extremely dangerous to be driving but the ignition switch isn't available yet, this is a known recall and now its causing me to miss work since its my only vehicle. This is unacceptable and very dangerous, this has taken far too long to fix. Please help! I need a loaner!

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jun 062014

Grand Cherokee

On at least 4 occasions, my Jeep has randomly lost power such that the power steering, accelerator, and brake systems stopped working. Each time it has occurred, it was at a low rate of speed, so the danger of a catastrophic accident was low; however, one time it occurred when I was on a hill and I couldn't stop the Jeep from rolling down hill. I had to coast through a stop sign and only came to rest because of a curb on the opposite side of the street. Luckily, no cars were coming in the opposite direction.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 082015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while making a turn at approximately 15 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. The vehicle accelerated independently without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician informed that the vehicle was operating as designed. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,497.

- Mount Upton, NY, USA

Apr 082015

Grand Cherokee

I was entering a parking lot when I saw another car exiting. I pressed down on the brake and the vehicle went into sudden rapid acceleration. I pushed harder on the brake and the car sped up to at least 60 mph. I hit the car that was coming out of the lot because I could not stop my car. The car that I hit hit a parked car. My vehicle then sped ahead hitting another car because I could not stop. I sped over the railroad tracks and my car finally came to a stop in a shopping center. This was the last experience with sudden rapid acceleration in this Jeep. No one in my household has driven the Jeep since. My daughter experienced the same rapid acceleration in February while she was parking. She was going in reverse to park between two parked cars. The Jeep accelerated so rapidly she hit the car parked behind. The parked car she hit was totaled.the dealer could not diagnose the problem and Chrysler dropped the case. In my case Chrysler sent an inspector to investigate the problem. Chrysler determined that that they would not change their previous position and denied any mechanical defect. We have a car we are terrified to drive. It cannot be repaired because the mechanical defect cannot be diagnosed.

- Mt Upton, NY, USA

Jan 012015

Grand Cherokee

My 2005 Grand Cherokee has on several occasions turned itself off while driving down the road. The last time this happened was at night and raining and the windshield wipers, headlights and everything shut off for several seconds while driving down the road. Because of this a tractor trailer pulled out in front of me with my children in the car and we were nearly killed. I had no lights, windshield wipers, the brakes and steering were very difficult etc. I took it to the dealer today and they stated that there is a recall for this however no fix for the issue at this time"!?!?!"! this is completely unacceptable as my vehicle is completely useless, it is not worth my families lives to take the chance of driving it.

- York, PA, USA

Jul 282015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While approaching a stop, the brake pedal was depressed but it took a longer distance to stop the vehicle. The service brake system and service four wheel drive was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000: (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Holden , MA, USA