2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

May 142014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V438000 (electrical system) and 13V175000 (electrical system, power train); however, the parts to do the repairs were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Winters, CA, USA

Oct 032015

Grand Cherokee

To this day my 4 wheel drive has not worked and the dealer that I took it to just said that this wasn't covered under the recall, I think they still got paid by doing nothing to it and now I get another recall for something I haven't had problems which then I'll take it in for them to do nothing to it and still get paid for fixing nothing, what I would really want is for them to fix my 4 wheel drive, I could never get it to work when I needed to use it in the snow, it would just keep sliding and would never change to 4 wheel drive, thank you.

- Scottsbluff, NE, USA

Oct 152013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate and the rpms increased. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The failure mileage was 180,000. Update 01/15/16 MA the consumer stated he never had a problem with the transmission jumping from drive to third gear, until he took the vehicle to the dealer after receiving a recall notice. Updated 01/27/16.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jul 072014

Grand Cherokee

Lights lit on dash, ABS, traction control, & service electrical brake system.replaced brakes & no change lights still lit up.got recall notice P41 in Sept, 2014 stating problem with ignition switch, & that the part is not available & will contact me when its available.it is now over a year later still nothing and is way beyond a reasonable of time for repair !!! after driving all winter without the traction control.now when I drive the vehicle when I turn it off it won't start & it wont start for 11/2 to 2 hours I am just stuck waiting & waiting! it is totally random sometimes it starts & sometimes it will only crank for a split second and then I am stuck, tried to jump it doesn't help at all makes no difference.also the headlights will flash off & on at times, as well as the dash lights.this is my only car so this is a major problem for me.have spoken with the dealer can't help parts not available.

- Thurmont, MD, USA

Aug 242011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 05V396000 (power train); however, the failure recurred. While driving approximately 40 mph, the heat was activated, and there was a odor of fumes coming from the vents. The contact also stated that there was smoke coming from the rear of the vehicle, and transmission fluid was leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic stated that the transmission hose was detached from the transmission. The hose was replaced and the transmission fluid was replaced but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000.

- Wytheville, VA, USA

Apr 082015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while making a turn at approximately 15 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. The vehicle accelerated independently without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician informed that the vehicle was operating as designed. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,497.

- Mount Upton, NY, USA

Nov 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 60 mph, the vehicle lost power. In addition, the steering wheel seized completely and all the warning lights on the instrument cluster illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V438000 (electrical system) and 13V175000 (electrical system, power train); however, the parts needed to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. MA 10/23/15

- Auburn , MA, USA

Mar 112014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at any speed, the vehicle failed to accelerate and shook violently as the steering wheel seized. The instrument panel lights illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 05V396000 (power train) and 14V438000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repair. The parts needed for the recall repair were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,900.

- Hopatcong, NJ, USA

Apr 132015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Was notified by service dept. That the crossmember of the frame that supports the transmission was cracked /broken due to excessive rust and needs to be replaced cost=$800 seems unusual at this time&mileage. Thank you

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Apr 232015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at approximately 5 mph and making a left turn, all of the warning lights turned on intermittently and the heat turned on and off intermittently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent dealer where it was diagnosed that the communication was lost to the final drive controller module and the century key immobilizer module needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V438000 and 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The approximate failure mileage was 122,000. Updated 6/4/15

- Bridgeport, CT, USA

Jul 032013

Grand Cherokee

The transmission would not shift unless the traction control light was lit. All or some of the dash lights flash sporadically. The results have been two destroyed transmissions. Neither Chrysler dealers nor Chrysler have been able to suggest a solution.

- Points, WV, USA

Apr 222015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving down a local freeway. Had just merged on and began to accelerate. Once reaching 65 mph the vehicle felt liken it slammed on the brakes while my foot was on the accelerator. Only lasted for a second then returned to normal. 1/3 mile later is happened again. It has been going on for about a week now. Have come to realize that it is most likely a torque converter or transmission. There is recalls on the vehicle for ignition also. Which Chrysler has yet to resolve. Have they really fixed the transmission issue on this vehicle" or not" this vehicle apparently has caused many people problems and I myself have had two of these exact Jeep. Both have been complete catastrophes. This problem is very scary and very unsafe for any driver. I have no money to fix the problem nor will the dealer or Chrysler help with the issue. I hope you can somehow help me. I'm begging you. Please do something about this. So everyone can have a safe experience on the roadways.

- Waterford , MI, USA

Apr 022013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

After seeing the recall on the 2005 Grand Cherokee on the national news I contacted Jeep in reference to the recall as we own a 2005 Grand Cherokee. I was informed that because of our model was an a model it was not covered under the recall. We experience our vehicle not shifting properly and have researched the recall and it describes what our problem is and it is the same as the recall. I feel that Jeep should honor the recall and make the necessary repairs on vehicles that experience the problems, as it creates a safety hazard when operating the vehicle.

- Republic, MO, USA

Mar 102012

Grand Cherokee

I bought this vehicle through a finance company so the dealer got paid I pay a note I felt a shudder like lose of power I was told by dealer to put gas treatment in tank it was prob bad gas this was 4 days after I drove off the lot then my grandbaby almost gets run over when I put in gear park and got out I hear everyone screaming that the Jeep was moving I jump in expecting to see it still in drive but to my shock it was in park.this was on day 7 after I drove off lot I drive to work and try to pull off from red light and it was like I had no transmission I have towed to Jeep dealership thinking they would know best what is wrong well low and behold I get the whopper of a call to let me know that my Jeep was sold to me with issues already cause I have water contamination in my transmission and did I mention their are two recalls on Jeep one belongs to mine cause it is the ignition switch that almost ran over grand baby but how convenient for them to tell me that my Jeep doesn't fall under the fill tube leaking into my trans recall but yet I have the same problem. How is it so far fetched that the larado's are effected.`so basically I bought a car for 12.500 for it to possibly kill my family by jumping in neutral oh but I guess I don't have to worry bout that recall since my car is sittin in Jeep of @@###$$ with a blown transmission can someone else tell me if they have water in transmission without ever being in water mine is leaking from fill tube seal and blew the tourqe converter and now I need a 5000 transmission and everyone is pointing the finger at the other and I am about to lose my job from no transportation cause of this I am a single mother who put her entire savings down on a unsafe deathtrap with a warranty that nobody will honor helpppppp how do I prove my fill tube seal is leaking and try to get this under this recall

- Breaux Bridge , LA, USA

Feb 052005

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the electrical components in the vehicle failed. In addition, the transmission gears slipped. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30. Updated 8/10/15

- Natrona Heights , PA, USA

Nov 112014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

NHTSA veh rec # 14V-4387 -still unresolved due to part availability - there have been more than two-dozen instances where Jeep vehicle has shut itself down rendering all driver safety / control features (brakes, steering, air-bags) completely off! this vehicle failure happens at different speeds, direction (fwd-rev) while turning, going straight, uphill & down etc - this Jeep vehicle will shut off without warning since the key is in the on position, accessories (radio, wipers, fans etc) will remain on making it very difficult to detect that the engine has stopped and there is a zero engine power. It's not until you realize you've lost propulsion (passing or going uphill), slowing down, or loss of power assist steering and breaking, that you begin to react and try to restart the Jeep. The first reaction is often panic driven breaking and getting out of harms way. Today (3/19/2015) was my worst experience yet! driving ~35 mph on 2 lane road w/ mod-heavy morning traffic around me (7:15am) and this Jeep shuts itself off. The car directly behind me swerved to avoid me as I had no power, and could not safely get out of the flow of traffic! I find it totally reprehensible that as of yet, there are no parts available to fix thus known defect! this is a 2005 vehicle - w/ a recall date of Sept 3 2014, more than six months ago, and as of today, because it's my primary vehicle, I risk my, & family lives, all the while Jeep and the us gov't have known about its defect. I expect Jeep and the us gov't will defend and hold me (and any other drivers of this vehicle) harmless against any undesired events caused by this defect. Please respond if possible.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Nov 012005

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the contact noticed an intermittent knocking noise. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle jerked. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The contact was unsure about what needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. However, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 142015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

After receiving N23 recall software update, when attempting to engage 4WD low in a low traction situation, the transfer case motor would not shift due to damages resulting from the software change. The software update was issues to bypass problems occurring from an often damaged part, rather than repairing or replacing the part itself. Because if this, the software change has negatively affected numerous vehicles 4WD low capabilities, rendering them useless in emergency situations.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Nov 122014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. After starting the engine, the transmission shifted out of gear independently and the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 174,000.

- Broklyn , NY, USA

Jan 302015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 3 mph, the four wheel drive failed to activate. In addition, the service front wheel system warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA