2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Nov 062016

Grand Cherokee

My Jeep jumps to third gear randomly, and it ends up jittering and shaking. My car got stuck so many times and ended up being stalled on a busy highway and almost got into an accident. I was once parked and had shifted to drive but instead the Jeep suddenly jumped to 3rd and my car started to go backwards and ended up hitting another car behind me. I had to pay the guy $500 and also got all the fluids and oils changed in hopes of getting this fixed, but to no avail. Yesterday, I spent $450 on these fluid and oil changes only to have the problem continue. Thousands of people are having the same issues and Jeep has no answers. You guys need to do a total vehicle recall since Jeep has no answers. Many people can die from this defect. I have a video to prove the car jumping to third and all the issues I just described.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Aug 032016

Grand Cherokee

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 3.7 liter motor shows all four gears park neutral reverse and drive "prnd" active at the same time and the check engine obdii code U0103 (can bus communication lost with the shifter). This condition reoccurs every 1 to 7 days approximately. While in this mode the vehicle is in limp mode stuck in 2nd gear. I tried to drive it to the dealership twice with this condition on back roads but it will clear after driving for about 5 miles in limp mode. I had the vehicle towed to the Jeep dealership with this condition present. It cleared while they were trying to diagnose problem and they couldn't get it to repeat while driving it with my permission for three weeks. They were unable to diagnose the problem and no repairs were made. I got my vehicle back after three weeks at dealeship and problem reoccurred after two days of driving. Trying to drive this vehicle in limp mode is very dangerous as you cannot exceed about 30 miles per hour causing dangerous conditions to myself and other drivers on roads with speed limits higher than 30 mph. This is a serious safety issue and the dealership can't diagnose the problem. In the meantime I am stuck with a very unsafe vehicle

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 142016

• 1,270,000 miles
"takata recall" I purchased a Jeep for 7,500. Put 3,000 down and financed the rest. Next day, the axle boot was broke. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced it. At that time, I realized they gave me a 29% finance rate. So I bought they vehcile right out by writing a check for $4890. With asking if the vehcile had any major issues or been in the shop for any serious engine or transmission work, I was promised the vehcile was in good standing condition. Next day, with my fiance and my 20 month old son in the newly purchased vehcile, headed out for a vacation. About 10 mins from our home and the axle they just replacedon't broke and the transmission went. The vehcile had no emergency brakes and no hear, not even park. I had to pull into a person's yard and do donuts until it stopped. Got it towed home and called the bank and cancelled the check. Now the have towed the vehcile away and say I write bad checks. Yet I have paperwork from the bank supporting my cancellation on the check and record of funds to purchase the vehcile. Seeking legal advice now. I did purchase "as is"....yet, that doesn't uphold to fraud and warranty of mechanism on the vehcile.

- Elkwood, VA, USA

Jul 272016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While attempting to shift from park to reverse, the contact heard an abnormal noise. Afterwards, the gear selector illuminated all of the gear options and the check engine indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the failure codes were read and the contact was informed of a recall directly related to the issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 143,517.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Aug 122016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked on an incline, it began to roll backwards. The vehicle crashed into the bay and became submerged under water. The vehicle was towed to an independent towing lot. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Millsboro, DE, USA

Jul 232016

Grand Cherokee

While driving the vehicle in drive it slips into gear 3 by itself and when I attempt to accelerate its in limp mode. I always have to pull to the side and shut the vehicle on and restart it several times before it actually shift the ( D ) drive.

- Irvington, NJ, USA

May 202016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was being repaired for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system), the dealer also remedied NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). After the recall repairs were completed, the vehicle experienced a failure with the transfer case changing gears to an improper gear while driving. Prior to the repairs, the vehicle operated as intended. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the transmission module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 190,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 122016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle will not shift into correct gear when accelerating from a dead stop. Tops out at 3,000 rpms at 60mph. This is an intermittent problem. But will at least happen 2 times a day. When it happens you have to pull over and shut off the engine off and restart. This most likely will fix the problem. This is very dangerous when in traffic. This typically happens when you stop at a traffic light and start to take off. I had the censers changed in the transmission but didn't fix the problem. The vehicle has less than 100,000 miles on it. It is getting worse every day know.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Feb 102015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted after the first attempt. The failure recurred multiple times. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the parts were unavailable to perform the repairs. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall remedy. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train); however, the parts were unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Issaquah, WA, USA

Aug 102015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to check engine and brake system warning light stays on, vehicle starts then locks up, replacement of the right rear speed sensor and four wheel drive motor.

- West Monroe, LA, USA

Jun 152013

Grand Cherokee

Well they say third times a charm...or will it be death? the first incident happened when I was alone in the vehicle as I was making a left hand turn across traffic my Jeep just shut down leaving me powerless..by that I mean nothing no steering no breaks no nothing! thank the gods there was no oncoming traffic at the time. The second time was a bit more nerving as my 6 year old son and myself were on the highway keeping up with the 65-70 mph flow of cars, SUV's & tractor trailers when all of the sudden my engine power just slumbered off to a crawl. If I had been in one lane over and 3 seconds behind we would not be here today to tell this unsightly story! again thank the gods for looking over us or it would be another statistic on the road and another young child left without a mother (my daughter that wasn't with me at the time)so I ask how many must die or get injured before manufactures man up to their mistakes? the loss of money is nothing it can be replaced but lives can not!!!

- Emmaus, PA, USA

May 062016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V438000 (electrical system) and 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Reno, NV, USA

Jun 262015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle independently shifted into third gear. As a result, the RPM gauge and speedometer increased abnormally. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was pulled to the side of the road and restarted; however, the failure recurred. Prior to the failure, the vehicle was remedied under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The vehicle was returned to dealer and they attempted to reflash the final drive controller again; however, the failure recurred more severely. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 180,000. Updated 06/14/16

- Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 082016

Grand Cherokee

Transmission oil turned milky and vehicle would not move. After servicing transmission vehicle now will not engage into park, stays in reverse. Vehicle was parked when it would not move from parking spot but, after trans fluid was changed and trans serviced when you go to park it and put the shifter into park the vehicle moves in revers.

- Boyertown, PW, USA

Dec 312015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle decelerated and the brake pedal failed to respond when depressed. In order to come to a stop, the vehicle was driven up an incline. The brakes were engaged and the vehicle rolled backwards and crashed into a tree. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 237,000.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Dec 182015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle began to shift automatically and swerved to the right while all the warning lights illuminated. The contact also stated that he experienced a power steering failure. In addition, the contact stated that the pulley wheel and alternator belt fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 171,803.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Dec 152015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph when the contact depressed the accelerator pedal to speed up, the rpms increased but the mph gauge decreased. The contact stated that the failure had occurred on previous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission circuit board had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Astoria, NY, USA

Mar 152015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While parked, the contact exited the vehicle and it rolled backwards without warning. The contact's vehicle crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was not towed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Freemont, CA, USA

Jun 132015

Grand Cherokee

A few weeks/months after the purchase of my Jeep about 2 years ago, I noticed that my cruise control had stopped working and the ABS light had come. I checked my fuses and relays and they were ok. Then a day or so later I was driving on the interstate and my check engine light and my brake lights came on. My Jeep then seemed to downshifted itself. It felt as if the transmission had locked up, it slowed to about 30mph and would not shift onto another gear. I pulled over killed the motor. After a few attempts to drive it, I turned the key over and noticed the break and engine lights were off so I attempted to drive home and was sucessfull. This started to happen more and more often. I noticed that it mainly happened when either I was running my ac or it was wet/raining outside. I then started researching Jeep problems and recalls. I came across the daminoncrysler recall no. 13. the recall had described the issue I was having, so I researched my VIN and it staled that the recall no. 13 has already been completed on Jeep. Now my Jeep is stuck in limp mode and will not reset. It will not shift and the ABS, brake and engine lights stay on. Is there a way to find out exactly what service did they did when it was recalled in 2005 (if any)? I dont know what to

- Poplarville, MS, USA

Sep 172014

Grand Cherokee

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L stalls while driving, goes into limp mode constantly while driving or stationary, unintended acceleration while stationary and surges forward when brakes fully applied. Also got the recall for ignition issue but no parts available so have to be careful till then. Ignition recall is even stated to be a temporary fix. Electrical issues cause sever safety concern for customer safety. No warning when issue will happen. Replace parts stated by professional diagnostic and still have same electrical issues.

- Post Falls, ID, USA