7.5

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Aug 282014

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L

At 92,921 miles the dash lights and gauges started going on and off, but the engine kept running. My wife drove the jeep to work and back home for two days like this. We made an appointment at State Line Jeep in Fort Mill, SC. They had the Jeep almost two days, charged us $95.00 and told us they did not know what was wrong with the Jeep, They said they could throw parts and labor at it that we would have to pay for. We told them not to do that,and that we would just pick up our Jeep. It still flashes on and off, and when the dash is off, the brake lights, turn signals, headlights, windshield wipers, etc will not work. This is very dangerous and Jeep/Chrysler Motor Company Needs to get to the bottom of this problem. We purchased this Jeep new and the first time it had electrical problems was at 600 miles. Here's your Sign!!! One thing my wife has found is that when the dash lights and gauges go off, hit the dash down by your left knee, and hers come back on for awhile.

- , Rock Hill, SC, USA

Apr 192014

Grand Cherokee

all of the sudden while driving the seat belt buzzer will start and then keep going off while every seat belt is latched.

the air bag light comes on, the engine light comes on, then the air conditioning and all lights and dash goes black. The happens numerous times while driving.

- , West Union, SC, USA

Jun 012012

Grand Cherokee LX 3.2L

All gauges and lights turn on and off along with AC or Heater. head Lights flash on and off as well when in auto. Brakes apply when turning and error messages show up saying 4x4 service and electric break system check. I have to pull over and wait and wait and wait. This problem is dangerous. I am scared to drive my Jeep. I've seen other Jeeps driving around with the same problem. This needs to be fixed...

I'm calling for a class action lawsuit. This happens every day.. Multiple times a day. If you are having this same problem take some time and post..

- , Airdrie, Alberta, canada

Dec 262011

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi

WTF? I had bought this 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 39k, 5.7 Hemi from Clay Cooley in Dallas, TX, in June 2011, was shown a car fax showing no problems, brought the Jeep back to Pittsburg, KS, (14 hr turnaround), no problems, my wife drove the Jeep back and forth to work for nearly 6 months then all of a sudden the electrical problems started happening, first the gauges were going funky, then the check engine light came flashing, the engine started to run cut out, and one day while she was driving it to work it died in a middle of an intersection nearly causing an accident. We took it to Frank Fletcher Chrysler in Joplin, MO, for a check up. They put on a $300 part and told us that did not fix it but could not tell us what was wrong, we told them to take the part off and they stated that they could not because it was electrical parts. After a lengthy talk to the service manager he stated he would continue the search and leave the part on at no cost. After 7 weeks, they called and stated they had it fixed and the bill was $900. We went and picked it up, paid the bill, then drove it home. Ran good for about 3 weeks, then it all started back up. We called them and they stated to bring it back over in 3 weeks and that was the best they could do. We delivered it to them in 2 weeks of not being able to trust it. They had it this time for 24 weeks, replaced every sensor and module in the thing, then stated they could not find the problem and was done with it. They threw it together and shoved it out the door. Leaving it not runnable and filthy greasy dirty inside. They also put on 400 miles, left in well below empty, messed up the stereo/GPS up, left the gps antenna unhooked, had 42 codes in it (one being the camshaft sensor, which made it not run right at all)...I report them to the Better Business Bureau of South West Missouri...Then they wanted to fix everything. I told them that I would never let them touch my vehicle again nor even see it. The Jeep is now at Shepherd Team Plaza in Ft. Scott, KS as of now and they are looking into it. But they have had it for 4 weeks now and no news. I think there should be a recall on all the electrical problems on the Jeeps as I have noticed there is more and more showing up for this reason. What do you think?

- , Pittsburg, KS, USA

Jul 272011

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi

Bought this car new. But the issuse with the electrical gauges going crazy happened within the first three years of owing it. Took it to the dealer, they reseted the computer the first time and didn't fix anything. Took it back to dealer, they changed some sort of sensor (I can't quite remember what sensor), but it cost $1000. It was fixed for about 18 months, but now it is back with a vengence. All the electrical gauges flashing going crazy every day now...at the same time the speedometer and RPM will drop to zero but the engine is still running. But if I stopped and restarted the car...it will work fine. I googled this issues and apparently many 2005 owners are experiencing this problem.

Someone said it's the wiring harness (What is the wiring harness and how do I figure out if it's the root of the problem?

Other people said that it's PCM (power control module) which is the main computer right????...that is causing this issue, (possibly may cost another $1000) to fix.

How do I know if its the wiring or the main computer? I tried to explain my problem to the dealer and they look at me like I'm crazy and the only one that is facing this problem. Any advice is appreciated :)

- , Olathe, KS, USA

Jun 042011

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L

As with many others, it seems that I have always had an issue with the electrical system on this vehicle; Crackling speakers during cold starts, navi unit replaced when controls stopped working, IP cluster shuts down (no gauges or lights) then all gauges and lights turn on while driving, headlights dim then go to normal while driving, interior lights randomly flashing, dead battery when vehicle sits longer than a day, heated seats fail to function occasionaly

Some issues have been looked at by dealer without resolve, other issues I just simply can't bother to take the time because I am tired of hearing "We can not replicate the problem" when I pick the vehicle back up. "5-Star" service seems not to be something I experience at my local Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler dealers to be sure

- , Alliston, Ontario, Canada

Dec 152010

Grand Cherokee V6

Gauges and lights on instrument cluster flicker on and off for a minute and then go back to normal. The problem only happens every once in a while

- , Placentia, CA, USA

Dec 152010

Grand Cherokee Larado 3.7L V6

All the dash lights (i.e. seatbelt, traction control, oil, ABS, ect.) will flash on and off for a second or two also causing my driving lights to flash on and off, my radio and fan blower motor to cut out for a couple of seconds and it keeps driving on as if nothing has happened. This has happened about 3-4 times now since I've bought the car two weeks ago. When it happens I wait until it does it again which is usually within a couple of min. then I stop and restart the engine ( resetting the computer) and it seems to work fine afterward. I'm not sure how relevant the temperature is to the problem but it only seems to be doing it early in the morning when it is extremely cold (-5 to -10 Celsius). I'm concerned that it may be the main computer.

- , Welschbillig, RLP, Germany

Sep 262010

Grand Cherokee Limited 3.2L

Awful and completely inconvenient! Gauges go to zero in full operating mode! Driving on the interstate at 75mph and gauges go off inc.: gas gauge, mph, rpm as well as A/C in 110degree weather and radio. Everything flickers as if its a short in something then just go off...real safe huh?!?

- , Marana, AZ, USA

Jan 042010

Grand Cherokee Limited 4,7

Have had this vehicle into the Jeep dealer now 6 times. They have seen the problem when occurring and have had there instruments connected. Bottom line in a matter of about 10 min they read over 1,000 error codes during an incident and have been unable to fix it. Technicians have been in touch with Jeep Engineering and still they do not know what is happening. The dealer has actual had the vehicle for as long as two weeks at a time. They simply give it back and say sorry. It is 6 months later and it happens every week (but the engine does not stop running during these episodes) and Jeep still does not have an explanation or solution.

- , Oshkosh, WI, USA

Jan 242010

Grand Cherokee V6

2005 jeep grand Cherokee it seems my gauges started to go nuts and all the oil eng.temp and the rest come on but the car still drives this only happens for like a min

- , Chesterfield, MI, USA