2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Sep 172014

Grand Cherokee

I have been waiting and waiting to get this problem rendered. I received a recall notice about the faulty ignition switch and the slew of possible fatal consequences should anything occur. The recall notice is P41/NHTSA 14V-438, and ive been told I would receive a second recall notice in September 2015. Well, im still waiting!!. meanwhile I am driving a potentially dangerous vehicle and have been for quite awhile. I have no choice. I have already noticed my check engine light stays lit on my dash, as well as my airbag light as well indicating that I already have issues occurring that are according to the recall notice is linked to this problem. I want this fixed. I cant afford to buy another vehicle and need the one I have. However, am I suppossed to get seriously injured or killed first" then what, ? a family member receives a check? who cares about the money if I'm killed" I am seriously annoyed and concerned, please render this issue. And I'm sick of hearing "we dont have the part". I need this vehicle fixed now!!! its been too long already.

- New Hartford, CT, USA

May 282015

Grand Cherokee

I was on my way to work and in mid motion the cars engine power steering and brakes shut off. Luckily I was going slow enough that I was able to stop my car and restart it without any accidents. But I'm terrified the next time will I won't be so lucky.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Mar 092015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that there was a sudden loss of engine power without warning. When the failure occurred, the fuel gauge level decreased. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 204,000.

- Harleysville, PA, USA

Apr 152015

Grand Cherokee

My Jeep has been experiencing loss of power and restarting while driving down rt 80. Almost got myself and my pregnant girlfriend killed when it just off and restarted, I called the dealer right away and they couldn't do anything due to lack of part, we only have one car and they would not grant me a loaner, this is very unsafe, the lights on the dash all flickered then car shut down and restarted instantly and I'm sure it's causing other damage to the vehicle. I took all the key chains off an it has helped, but it's been doing it a lot more lately and it's very unsafe, when will a part become viable ?! this is redicoulus and clearly Chrysler doesn't care about your saftey!

- Columbia , NJ, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle randomly stalls when coming to a stop or slowing down to pull into a parking space. RPM's will drop and the vehicle will sometimes recover, or stall in some cases. Incident occurs 1- 5 times per day.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jul 062015

Grand Cherokee

When it started malfunctioning, I would be just driving and my Jeep would just shut off, engine, power, all the dash lights come on, and steering becomes difficult as well as braking, and now it won't start. This is extremely dangerous to be driving but the ignition switch isn't available yet, this is a known recall and now its causing me to miss work since its my only vehicle. This is unacceptable and very dangerous, this has taken far too long to fix. Please help! I need a loaner!

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Sep 092014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) and stated that the parts needed for the recall repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 210,000.

- Rural Hall, NC, USA

Aug 032015

Grand Cherokee

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to parts not available to complete recall. The consumer stated the engine was replaced at a cost of $6,000.

- Tobyhanna, PA, USA

Aug 012015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the engine stalled without warning and caused the vehicle to go off the road and flip over three times. The air bags did not deploy. The driver suffered from cuts on both of his legs that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was declared destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The failure mileage was approximately 123,000. MA 10/5

- Kunkletown, PA, USA

Jul 162015

Grand Cherokee

I was driving down the highway going approximately 65 mph when, without warning, the vehicle shut down completely. Engine shut down, all power steering, braking, and power systems were lost. Luckily, I was in the far right lane and was able to pull safely to the side of the road. Once the vehicle came to a complete stop I was able to restart the vehicle and continue on. This is an extremely dangerous issue. After calling the dealer was told there was a recall for the symptoms described but no parts available to fix it and it could be months before it could be fixed. No offer was made to provide me with a vehicle to drive while the issue remained open. I am not going to endanger my life, my family's lives, or the lives of other drivers by continuing to operate this vehicle. The dealer should be required to provide an alternate mode of transportation to the customer if the issue cannot be resolved in a timely manor.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Jan 092015

Grand Cherokee

The first incident took place approximately on the above date. As my daughter, friends and I were pulling onto the road, I bumped the key with my knee and the vehicle shut off completely. Everything went dead. I put it in neutral, turned the key, started it, and continued on. It has happened 3 times since then, twice with my daughter driving. We followed the recall posted by Chrysler and removed everything from the key chain, moved the seat back, etc. (there is no fix offered for this). This past Saturday night, 7/25/15, my 18 year old daughter was returning home from a friends house when she sneezed and as she was recovering and re-adjusting, she bumped the key and shut the car off. When this happens, everything is cut off. Lights, brakes, gauges, everything. Being dark, she could not see, could barely steer, brake, etc. And was basically "along for the ride". as she was in a left turn at the time, she pulled the wheel to the right to try and stay on the road and not go "beyond the turn" and crash. Because the brakes were not working, she was going too fast, managed to get the car going to the right but ended up in a slide. The car slid sideways and then backwards, sliding off the road to the right side and onto a driveway where the driver side front wheel caught the culvert under the driveway, flipping the Jeep onto the drivers side where it remained as it slid backwards for about 10 feet, stopping in a residents yard. Thankfully, my daughter was able to climb up and out the passenger window, unharmed, go to a house and get help. Because there is not a "fix" for this problem (Chrysler admits this on the recall notice), I am out a vehicle because of a defect they can not/will not fix. Because of the year model and mileage, I only carried liability insurance, so the damage to the vehicle will exceed the cost to repair. I feel Chrysler owes me the replacement cost.

- Albemarle, NC, USA

Jun 182015

Grand Cherokee

I had my vehicle valet parked with a single key in the ignition. Upon receiving my car I got into the drive seat and proceeded to push my seat forward since I had a passenger behind me and was providing extra leg room. We proceeded to leave the parking area of the hotel and at a speed of about 15 mph I turn to adjust and item on the rear floor when my knee hit the key and the entire car was switched off. I had no steering since it was in locked position and the brakes was difficult to stop. The engine was off. I am just glad I was not on the freeway at 65 mph. Why is it taking Chrysler (Fiat) one year to get a fix for this recall?

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jun 232015

Grand Cherokee

Got home from work 7 miles away parked went to start it 5 min later knocking sound tried about 3 times I open the hood had oil over the passenger side of motor, I thought it was a head gasket, took apart top side of engine turned out to be valve seat pop out of place therefore bending valve breaking pieces of valve guide lifter rocker coming loose breaking plastic head cover causing oil to splatter all over engine and drive way, shame on Jeep / Chrysler / Dodge, this was a 3.7 my brother has a Dodge 1500 4.7 problems w pistons at 50000 now at 156000, and where slow drivers we don't abuse the engines oil change every 4000 M Jeep 3.7 when I took apart looked brand new never leaked oil I was proud of my car until this happened, reminded me of a chinese scooter I bought my son poor quality, Dodge / Jeep / Chrysler acknowledge ur faults bad decision in engineering I personally loved Jeep and Dodge trucks I don't think I will ever buy Jeep Chrysler or Dodge ever again looking at all these problems going on in the company, it could have happen while driving and loose steering and brake power

- Weston, FL, USA

Apr 222015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving down a local freeway. Had just merged on and began to accelerate. Once reaching 65 mph the vehicle felt liken it slammed on the brakes while my foot was on the accelerator. Only lasted for a second then returned to normal. 1/3 mile later is happened again. It has been going on for about a week now. Have come to realize that it is most likely a torque converter or transmission. There is recalls on the vehicle for ignition also. Which Chrysler has yet to resolve. Have they really fixed the transmission issue on this vehicle" or not" this vehicle apparently has caused many people problems and I myself have had two of these exact Jeep. Both have been complete catastrophes. This problem is very scary and very unsafe for any driver. I have no money to fix the problem nor will the dealer or Chrysler help with the issue. I hope you can somehow help me. I'm begging you. Please do something about this. So everyone can have a safe experience on the roadways.

- Waterford , MI, USA

Apr 042015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My 200 Jeep Grand Cherokee is affected by the manufacturer recall number: P41. While driving this past weekend with my wife and two small children. The ignition switch changed positions causing the engine to shut off with steering and braking greatly reduced. Thankfully I was not on the highway traveling at high speeds. This occurred in a residential neighborhood while driving 25mph. Thankfully no other vehicle or pedestrian was in our path. This was extremely scary and could have been extremely dangerous and deadly. I am completely unsatisfied with Chrysler responsiveness to this issue. Our Jeep is my wife's primary vehicle and drives my children around daily. I feel this vehicle is unfit and unsafe to drive. Chrysler promised a solution by the end of the first fiscal quarter which is months past. When will a solution be available" I fell Chrysler is responsible to provide my family with a safe vehicle, is a rental or loaner vehicle an option until a solution is provided" please help...

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 142014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled and the check engine light and the ABS light illuminated. Also, the contact stated that the brakes engaged independently. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 5/11/15

- West Minster, CO, USA

Nov 112014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

NHTSA veh rec # 14V-4387 -still unresolved due to part availability - there have been more than two-dozen instances where Jeep vehicle has shut itself down rendering all driver safety / control features (brakes, steering, air-bags) completely off! this vehicle failure happens at different speeds, direction (fwd-rev) while turning, going straight, uphill & down etc - this Jeep vehicle will shut off without warning since the key is in the on position, accessories (radio, wipers, fans etc) will remain on making it very difficult to detect that the engine has stopped and there is a zero engine power. It's not until you realize you've lost propulsion (passing or going uphill), slowing down, or loss of power assist steering and breaking, that you begin to react and try to restart the Jeep. The first reaction is often panic driven breaking and getting out of harms way. Today (3/19/2015) was my worst experience yet! driving ~35 mph on 2 lane road w/ mod-heavy morning traffic around me (7:15am) and this Jeep shuts itself off. The car directly behind me swerved to avoid me as I had no power, and could not safely get out of the flow of traffic! I find it totally reprehensible that as of yet, there are no parts available to fix thus known defect! this is a 2005 vehicle - w/ a recall date of Sept 3 2014, more than six months ago, and as of today, because it's my primary vehicle, I risk my, & family lives, all the while Jeep and the us gov't have known about its defect. I expect Jeep and the us gov't will defend and hold me (and any other drivers of this vehicle) harmless against any undesired events caused by this defect. Please respond if possible.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Dec 182014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Driving at 45 miles getting ready to enter highway and vehicle stalls luckily I was not on highway and still had shoulder to place car in park and restart. #2 on three occasion came out of work twice and out restaurant once and car did not start had to have towed. #3 driving 3/14/15 car stalls while driving at 35mph decline to 30mph almost rear ended by inches. This is a great concern and becoming worst I have notified the dealer in my area and have been given the run around of we will call when parts are available. This is a primary means of transportation for many workers will a death be a wake up call for the vehicle's to become a priority.

- Independence, MO, USA

Sep 152014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

This is reguarding the safety recall P41/nhtsa14V-438. Parts are still not available to fix this. I have spent numerous hours, once 3 hours waiting to speak with a rep. No addituonal information has been sent out by Jeep. This is appauling! since the letter I have made several attempts to fix the recall and dealers cant even get the part. Please help.

- West Islip, NY, USA

Feb 122015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Recall sent in October 2014 and as of today February 12,2015 the replacement part has still not been sent out to the dealer and there is no future date even discussed. If this is a danger and my research shows that in fact if the car ignition goes off, it can be very dangerous, then this delay is not acceptable.

- Winthrop, MA, USA