2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Feb 122016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle will not shift into correct gear when accelerating from a dead stop. Tops out at 3,000 rpms at 60mph. This is an intermittent problem. But will at least happen 2 times a day. When it happens you have to pull over and shut off the engine off and restart. This most likely will fix the problem. This is very dangerous when in traffic. This typically happens when you stop at a traffic light and start to take off. I had the censers changed in the transmission but didn't fix the problem. The vehicle has less than 100,000 miles on it. It is getting worse every day know.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Nov 132015

Grand Cherokee

I was leaving the car wash and after putting the Grand Cherokee in drive with my foot on the brake it accelerated on its own and the brakes were not responsive. Unable to stop or slow down, to avoid traffic, I crashed into a stone wall. The car is totaled and I had serious injury to my head as the airbag also did not deploy.

- West Nyack, NY, USA

Jun 132015

Grand Cherokee

A few weeks/months after the purchase of my Jeep about 2 years ago, I noticed that my cruise control had stopped working and the ABS light had come. I checked my fuses and relays and they were ok. Then a day or so later I was driving on the interstate and my check engine light and my brake lights came on. My Jeep then seemed to downshifted itself. It felt as if the transmission had locked up, it slowed to about 30mph and would not shift onto another gear. I pulled over killed the motor. After a few attempts to drive it, I turned the key over and noticed the break and engine lights were off so I attempted to drive home and was sucessfull. This started to happen more and more often. I noticed that it mainly happened when either I was running my ac or it was wet/raining outside. I then started researching Jeep problems and recalls. I came across the daminoncrysler recall no. 13. the recall had described the issue I was having, so I researched my VIN and it staled that the recall no. 13 has already been completed on Jeep. Now my Jeep is stuck in limp mode and will not reset. It will not shift and the ABS, brake and engine lights stay on. Is there a way to find out exactly what service did they did when it was recalled in 2005 (if any)? I dont know what to

- Poplarville, MS, USA

Aug 012010

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly shut off. The contact also indicated that the speedometer did not function. While depressing the brake pedal, the brakes malfunctioned and the vehicle would not stop. The cause of the failures were not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) was received in September of 2015. After contacting the dealer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were still not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be given. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 132015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle decelerated, the rpms revved, and the ABS warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the speed sensor and the tire sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,000. The VIN was not available.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Sep 122014

Grand Cherokee

I have had issues with this vehicle recalls P73 and 41 for over a year. The truck has been sitting in my driveway for a year!!! I have notified Jeep numerous times, and yet the part has not been produced. I have been left with no car for 1 year. I have had to pay for uber, taxis, rentals, buses, trains, and have walked everywhere due to this recall. It has drained my battery. Jeep has not once compensated me. Every time I call, they say next month. This had been for one year now! the car lost power while driving on the interstate on 66, 395, and 495 interstates. What is it going to take for Jeep to do something? I had one rep said we'll reimburse me, how are you going to reimburse me, for a part that's not even in production. I reported this issue to the Jeep dealer where I reside last year about the lights flickering and the please fix the electrical brake system error, the refused, because they stated, they never saw it. I was told I can rent a car for them, on my own dime for $40 a day!! I shouldn't have to when it's Jeep's recall. I have lost out on jobs, because of transportation. This is really serious.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 232015

Grand Cherokee

In rush hour traffic, the car would lose power everytime the car came to a stop or idled. 3 days later, the car lost power in speed limit traffic after going over the railroad tracks. Since then, it loses power at every stop. If I am not aware, the car rolls into oncoming traffic! I took the car to my nearest dealer. They confirmed that it was the ignition switch that has been recalled and a part hasn't been sent to dealers. I called Chrysler and all they did was put me on a list! they apologized for me not having a car to drive and that was it! they would not provide me with a timeline of when the part would be ready. They refused to provide me with a loaner vehicle while it was off the road. I have lost my mode of transportation unless I want to risk my and my family's life, and they say there is nothing they can do even though they are at fault!

- Eastman, GA, USA

Feb 102015

Grand Cherokee

While driving approximately 55 mph the etc warning light came on and I lost all control of the throttle control of the car. I manged to coast home at 15 mph speed where I call call the dealer and have the car towed tothe shop for repair. A throttle control module was identified as being shorted and they replaced it at $1508.20 cost to me. Prior to this incident my control module went out causing the electric seats to retract and engine begin to shut down. This required a new power module at $1543 cost to me. The recall issued by Chrysler for the ignition switch problem NHTSA 14V-438 has yet to be resolved by Chrysler since September 2014. I feel the earlier electrical problems could be very likely related to the ignition switch recall and I had to pay for the other repairs, also the plastic support that holds all the interior door handles secure to the door have all broken because of a know design failure Chrysler has on these vehicles. Chrysler has refused to repair the defect and this car is a danger to anyone who is in it while driving. If an accident occurred or a fire in the car, you could not escape from car in time to prevent serious injury. If there is no recall for this defect there should be one. Updated 11/06/15

- Christiana, TN, USA

Dec 142011

Grand Cherokee

We received a recall notice June 2014 for ignition switch. My vehicle dash board, gauges hear, air, everything shuts off at least 5 times a week. I am told from subclass that the part is still not in. In doing research, I have found the some cars completing shut down. Some while driving 60 on a highway. This needs to be fixed. I feel that over a year is long enough. I need my Jeep fixed and safe to drive around with my 4 year old grandson in the back seat. Thanks, deb

- Largo, FL, USA

May 152015

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle began uncontrolled acceleration after being put in drive into a tree

- Niles, OH, USA

Apr 112015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal traveled to the floorboard and the vehicle accelerated violently, which prevented the vehicle from being able to stop. The vehicle was shifted into neutral in order for the vehicle to stop. The contact mentioned that the accelerator pedal would become stuck. The vehicle was restarted and the engine RPM's revved excessively and the accelerator pedal was able to release. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Grenich, CT, USA

Apr 082013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My Jeep at times lurches when taking off from a stopped position before it will drive normally. At times when slowing down and not coming to a complete stop the rpms will jump and not go down causing the vehicle to not continue to go forward. I have to pull over and turn ignition off, turn back on and go. This is very dangerous, especially if trying to get on highway or in traffic on a city street.

- Republic, MO, USA

May 012013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle's speed increased to 80 mph without warning. The brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond causing the contact to engage the emergency brake. The failure recurred on several occasions. Also, while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated without warning. The contact pulled over and the vehicle restarted after several attempts. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Feb 162015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

When I was driving my 2005 Grand Cherokee, the vehicle turned itself off causing me to lose braking and steering power. The ignition recall is what is going on however Chrysler/Jeep does not have the parts to fix the problem nor are the offering any possible solutions. They are refusing a rental car due to the issue not being life threatening. However, having a vehicle shut itself off while driving is very life threatening to myself, passengers in the vehicle and innocent bystanders around me on the road. I am highly dissatisfied with Chrysler.

- Phillipsburg , NJ, USA

Jan 182015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

While rounding a corner husbands knee bumped into ignition switch, car shut down. Received recall notice in Sept. 2014 and have contacted local Jeep dealer several times, still no parts to fix this problem. We are following suggested handling of key fob, only the key in ignition. The danger became very present to us last night as we had just gotten off the highway where we were driving at speeds of 65 mph. This would have had a vastly different outcome going that fast. How long is it going to take before this fix takes place? we don't want to die!! had I been driving instead of my husband I would have surely panicked and wouldn't be sitting here writing you now. Chrysler needs to get moving on this before we encounter a dreaded accident.

- Depere, WI, USA

Sep 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I have called several times and Chrysler cannot tell me when this part for the recall P41 will be replaced. Please note no accident has occurred but I think its criminal that they cannot give me a time when this will be replaced!!!

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jun 182010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving to the work, a semi truck was front of my Jeep, it was a stop sign and the semi truck was stopping and I was slowing down to stop, but my Jeep didn't slow down. Even I was pressing the brake, didn't stop on time and I crashed to the semi truck. Luckily, didn't give any damage to the semi truck, but my Jeep end up total lost. After I got this recall from mail, I realize, the accident wasn't my fault, the Jeep had a factory defected. I need some one to answer this for me. Because I lost my Jeep and got another car to go to work. Till now I was asking myself how I couldn't stop the Jeep and it was only 15 to 20 miles an hours. Now I know it wasn't me.

- Watsela, IL, USA

Nov 132012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 5 mph with the brakes engaged, the vehicle accelerated independently. After the vehicle was turned off and restarted, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Upperco, MD, USA

Sep 272012

Grand Cherokee

My car was recalled by Chrysler under P41/NHTSA 14V-438. That was in July and I just called the dealer and they still don't have the part. How much longer do I have to wait?

- E.Lansing, MI, USA

Oct 092014

Grand Cherokee

Loss of power while driving, wont shift, no cruise control, brake lights on, . this happens at lest one a week.

- Poplarville, MS, USA