2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Nov 012015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked and attempting to start, there was a strong fuel odor in the vehicle. The contact mentioned the vehicle was parked for months due to no plates on the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 280,000.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Sep 242015

Grand Cherokee

I am still waiting for Chrysler to preform the P41 recall work on my car. Chrysler was found criminally liable for this switch. The recall has been in place since July 2014. I get notices that the part is not available. So far three notices over the past year saying that they don't have a new switch available. Really"?" it takes one year to design, manufacturer, and Transport an ignition switch, does no one work in detroit. I have had the car not start because of the switch, and when I crank again it starts. I took to dealer for this problem in 2008. I was told that this was normal, the car's computer was re-setting so that I can start. Dealer has gone bankrupt since and closed. I am tired of excuses from Chrysler. When will they do their job and fix this problem. I want this done because my family rides in this car everyday. I am also concerned about the gas tank, because car has been rear-ended three times.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 092015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that there was a sudden loss of engine power without warning. When the failure occurred, the fuel gauge level decreased. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 204,000.

- Harleysville, PA, USA

Jun 062014

Grand Cherokee

On at least 4 occasions, my Jeep has randomly lost power such that the power steering, accelerator, and brake systems stopped working. Each time it has occurred, it was at a low rate of speed, so the danger of a catastrophic accident was low; however, one time it occurred when I was on a hill and I couldn't stop the Jeep from rolling down hill. I had to coast through a stop sign and only came to rest because of a curb on the opposite side of the street. Luckily, no cars were coming in the opposite direction.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 062013

Grand Cherokee

There has been many occasions upwards of 13 or 14 times where my vehicle will not start. My battery has a full charge, I have fuel in the tank it just wont start. The only way around this to get my vehicle to start is to do a hard reset and unhook the battery cable for 30 seconds and hook it back up then and only then will it start. Then it will start the next 15 or so times and then I have the same problem it wont start. Same deal, battery is great, fuel in the tank, just wont start.

- Mount Vernon, OH, USA

Oct 042012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The air bags light comes on and stays on, the fuel system light comes on and stays on. When checked by mechanic was told some sort of sensor. The speed control does what it wants it can go from 45mph to 20mph and the vehicle tries to cut itself off I have to immediately put it in neutral to prevent that from happening.

- Gulfport , MS, USA

Sep 052012

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle sputters after filling up with gas. Lasts about 10 to 15 miles.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Sep 062014

Grand Cherokee

Placed vehicle in reverse and it accelerated by itself, had to hit brakes and turn engine off to avoid accident, then when I parked vehicle and placed in park it did it again.

- Morris, OK, USA

Oct 092013

Grand Cherokee

While driving down the road, the RPM started floating and the Jeep started hesitating like it was out of gas. It was happening every once in awhile, now it's constantly and it's getting horrible gas mileage. Here recently, the interior lights on the ac/heat part have went out and the time part on the radio started lighting up like a heater and is extremely hot but the radio still plays.

- Keysville, GA, USA

Oct 012013

Grand Cherokee

I went to get a new inspection sticker & received a rejection sticker it read "the obd fuel system monitor was disabled when an associated configuration register was inadvertently cleared prior to release." Date of owner notification was November 18, 2005. I purchased this vehicle in 2013 and I have been having an emissions problem starting 4-5 months after I purchased it. I'm still having the problem today, and dealer refused to fix the problem.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Aug 202014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notice for recall NHTSA campaign id number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). However, the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Albany , OH, USA

Jan 172012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that she smelled fuel while in the cabin. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the transfer case needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Strasburg, VA, USA