2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 232015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving and turned on the left turn signal, it was flashing extremely fast and after I made the turn we noticed that some of the interior dash lights were out. Later that night after stopping and restarting the ignition a couple times things seemed back to normal but then it happened again. This has been intermittent since then, but now I have also been informed that I have no brake lights. I checked the brake lamps and they are good and the fuses are good too. I had my mechanic check out the multi-function headlight switch as that seemed to be where the issue was originating and they told me that this is the problem and it needs to be replaced. This is a very serious failure that could have lead to a tragic accident. I feel that there should be an investigation into this and Jeep should replace these switches.

- Canton, OH, USA

Jan 132015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The first incident 01/13/2015 occurred while driving at 15 mph, all lights flickered, HVAC system shut off, radio turned off, every light on dash flickered on and off. On 01/14/2015 when vehicle was started, the radio turned off and on continuously, each time the blower on heater stopped. Later in the day, vehicle was running while parked. All lights flickered off and on, radio turned off and on, and fuel monitor reading went to 7 miles left before needing fuel. Vehicle had a full tank of gas. I am terrified to drive this vehicle now. Losing electrical power while driving is a recipe for disaster.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Oct 152014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that when driving, the instrument panel electrical gauges and the headlights failed. The contact stated that the failures were intermittent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Richmond, IN, USA

Jun 302013

Grand Cherokee

Intermittently, all lights flicker off and on. Affected lights included external lights including headlamp, front & rear marker lights, lic plate illum; plus the internal lighting that included guages, dashboard panel lighting, etc. Flickering headlights were serious distraction to motorists ahead of me and approaching, causing one other vehicle to go off the road. This Jeep only has a little over 40K miles. After researching similar incidents online, owner ordered and replaced the turn signal multi-function switch assembly (mf switch), which cost $89.99 from advanced auto parts. After replacement of the mf switch, and reassembly of the steering column cover over the mf switch, then reconnecting the battery and a test drive, the problem appeared to be corrected. After over a month of driving subsequent to repair, the problem has not recurred. Chrysler-Jeep ought to be alerting customers of this common problem and replacing these defectiive mf switches to prevent incidents. Since there are numerous complaints, the manufacturer could be culpable and liable. Owners can do this repair themselves, but you need to get the right part for your options, as well as a couple of special screwdrivers that have the star type heads.

- Manassas , VA, USA

Feb 152013

Grand Cherokee

2005 Jeep has been slipping into neutral since February 2013. It caused me to have an accident because I couldn't get out of the way of rear-oncoming traffic. No major damage was done thankfully! a few weeks later I experienced a rollaway. I went into the sitter to pick up my son. After about 5 minutes of being inside I my Jeep roll across the street! I go running outside, opened the door and pulled up the emergency break...just missing an embankment! since the "neutral" thing started I have had several service lights come on. My mechanic performed a diagnostic check and he said its all electrical. Also, I've had issues with the front passenger window going up/down slower than the rest of the windows since 3 months into purchase. Other issues are cracked door handles (both front doors), replacing taillight kit, ac switch-a few times as it would only work on high.

- Murdock, FL, USA

May 152012

Grand Cherokee

I was driving the 2005 Grand Cherokee that we puchased and on the second day after purchasing the car at 80,000 miles the interior and exterior lights started flickering on and off and all the emergency light would come on. We took the vehicle back to the dealer we purchased from told them about the problem, so they ran a diagnostic on it and drove it and could find nothing wrong. Now recently the problem started to worsen as my wife drives the car at night with our 3 year old daughter in the vehicle the light are flickering on and off then completely going blank and not coming back on. This is very unsafe and dangerous to have a vehicle that the headlights go off when needed especially driving down the dark roads of Texas. Something absolutely needs to be done immediately about this problem, everytime I take the vehicle to shop cant ever find anything wrong. This issue is putting my family and other family's at danger. We depend on our vehicle to be reliable and safe. I thought I was the only one experiencing this problem and that it was an electrical problem but it is obviously a defect on these 2005 vehicles. My vehicle is now at 90,000 miles and the issues have got worse. Chrysler needs to do something about this immediately before is results in a fatality.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jun 272012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact was driving 55 mph when the headlight and the instrument panel lights failed completely. He was able to pull over and changed the settings for the headlights. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 75,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Magnolia , TX, USA

Oct 122011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Headlights begin flickering without any warning and then go out entirely. Next day, headlights work again. This has happened on three separate occasions and is potentially a fatal problem since driver is suddenly driving in complete darkness.. my car is meticulously maintained at local 5 star Jeep dealer. We brought the car to this same Jeep dealer on two separate occasions to diagnose (each time for five days and mechanic drove car over 100 miles home at night) and no problem can be found. After conducting a google search, there are about 12 similar complaints from other owners of 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Chrysler's position and the dealer's position is that if they can't find the problem, they can't fix the problem. That is not good enough. They should have issued a voluntary recall. NHTSA should now require a mandatory recall of all 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. At a minimum, the likely components, e.g. headlight switch, control units and/or wiring harnesses should proactively be replaced.

- Sudbury, MA, USA

Jan 222009

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

While driving the entire electrical system fails; lights start flashing, heat goes out, all system warning lights flash ( brakes, tire pressure, service 4 wheel drive system, check engine light comes on), I was able to continue to drive the car but the lights flashed continuously for approximately 15 miles. This has happened multiple times since I purchased the SUV June 2005. The dealership runs test by say they cannot find anything wrong. I have read on the internet that this is happening to many owners of the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the dealers and mechanics at the dealership cannot find anything wrong. This is a dangerous situation as many people also loose power and the SUV shift into low gear. I am afraid to drive my Jeep now because the check engine light keeps coming on and off. I am going back to the dealership again for some more stupid "I did not find anything wrong" statements. Originally I was told it was because I had a remote starter so I has it disconnected and the problem still exists.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 292011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo tonight the exterior and interior lights flickered on and off. The problem continued after turning the lights off and on.

- Brazil, IN, USA

Jun 012011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7L V6 manual headlights flicker on and off when in the "on" position. Safety hazard when driving at night with no street lights. Head lights even flicker on and off when the switch is in the "off" position. No recalls are available for lights malfunctioning like this.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Oct 112009

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the headlights and interior lights turned on and off. The contact had to play with the switch to get the lights to turn back on. The dealer replaced an integrated power module but the failure continued. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000 and the current mileage was approximately 75,000.

- Burlington Flats, NY, USA

Dec 032010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While driving my 2005 Jeep(with my 2 year old daughter in the back)on a Friday evening my dashboard lights and headlights went nuts. They flashed on and off for about 30 seconds and it was pitch black-I was going about 60mph. I decided to take it really slowly but keep on driving, I had issues earlier this year with some shifting module.I really get freaked out about this stuff when my daughters in the car but it was fine for the rest of the weekend.then Monday comes. I was on the highway doing about 70mph when it happened again. This time it was not my front lights but it was the dashboard again for about 2 minutes. I called Chrysler because I have a power-terrain warranty I thought it my be covered. But I need to pay to have it diagnosed-not easy in December right before the holidays. The other problem is a "pop" or "lock" when I'm driving. It seems to be coming from the back. Almost like the brakes locking"?"and again have to pay to just have it diagnosed. What happen to the public calling and explaining the issue and the tech saying"oh I know what that is"or "yea sounds like your blank is loose" I just bought this not even 2 years ago and already dumped over $1000 for parts. It seems like a lot of others are having these issues. Diamler Chrysler should recall these issues for safety purposes.

- Northfield, MA, USA

Oct 012009

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at night the interior and exterior lights would fail simultaneously. He would have to use the high beam headlight switch until the lights would come back on. No repairs were made. His vehicle identification number was excluded from recall campaign id number 09E012000 (exterior lighting). The failure mileage was 40,000. The current was 49,000.

- Sarver, PA, USA

Aug 202009

Grand Cherokee

High mounted center brake light, wiring malfunction, complete light goes out, but no warning on the dash because the vehicle thinks its still working, move the wires it works but then stops working, I've noticed it on other Chrysler type products. Ex. durango.

- W Berlin, NJ, USA

Jun 202008

Grand Cherokee

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited. My right front directional stays on all the time. Even when key is off. I took the bulbs out so battery would not go dead. I am driving without the front right directional. Called dealer, they tell me the front control module is out of warranty, and if I buy one from ebay at $50 it may not work and has to be programmed at dealer. They are going to give me a discount price to repair of $603. I told them to order the part over a week ago, and today they told me it is on back order and they will call me when it comes in. Is this a common problem, and if so shouldn't they have a part some where to repair it? thank you for your help.

- Rensselaer, NY, USA

Sep 222008

Grand Cherokee

The headlights and dashboard lights turn on and off while driving. On occasion when attempting to start the car the vehicle was totally dead. I had to replace the starter, only 29,000 miles on the car and was advised half of the starter was defective. The problem still continues. Can only assume it is a wiring, electrical problem. The vehicle is a hazard as you never know when this will happen causing myself and other drivers to use caution around the vehicle. This vehicle is definitely defective and should not have left the factory floor.

- Franklin, NJ, USA

Jul 072008

Grand Cherokee

While driving at night, my lights flicker on and off. I have brought it back to the dealers service center on numerous occasions only to be told nothing was wrong. In September of 2007, the service center diagnosed the issue with a "multifunction switch fault." It occurred many times after and I was told again that nothing could be found. I just brought it back this week and was told something else was at fault and has to be replaced. It is extremely dangerous and something terrible could happen to me or someone else.

- Westbury, NY, USA

Jan 102008

Grand Cherokee

The multi-function switch on my 2005 Grand Cherokee Jeep flickers on and off at times. It causes my headlights on my vehicle to go out during night time driving. I initially took it to the dealership for diagnostic and repair Jan 2008. The part was ordered but never came in. I took it again to Chrysler Jeep dealership for the same concern and have learned that the part needed to repair my vehicle is on a national back order. This is a necessary part for safe driving at night. How can it be on back order unless it was something defective to begin with?

- Simpsonville, SC, USA