2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jul 122015

Grand Cherokee

On 6/30/2015 I took my vehicle in for P73 warranty recall. ON7/12/2015, when I was backing out of my driveway, my 2005 Jeep shifted into low 4 wheel drive, without any touching of the lever to shift into 4 wheel drive. It took a couple blocks driving very slow to disengage from the 4 wheel drive low. I have an appt. To return to the dealer who performed the service, to have it checked. Right now I am hesitant to drive this vehicle, for fear it will shift into 4 wheel drive again, without my doing anything, which could do serious damage to the vehicle at the very least. I am reporting this so others might be informed that there could be a problem with the reprogram of the final drive control module.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Jul 102015

Grand Cherokee

Door handles / door panel falling/ breaking apart on 2 doors.

- Babson Park, FL, USA

Jun 282015

Grand Cherokee

Car did not turn on. Ignition switch.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 012015

Grand Cherokee

I own a garage kept, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 2wd with approximately 80,000 miles. 3 of the 4 interior door handles are severely cracking making it difficult to open the door. This is a safety concern because once they full break, the door in unable to be opened from the interior. Cost to repair each door is over $800. I contacted Jeep customer support on 6-22-15, but was told this was not a known issue and that there was no assistance they could provide in repairing the door. This is a well documented safety issue and needs to be address so that consumers can get assistance in dealing with the safety problem.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Sep 302007

Grand Cherokee

The left rear passenger interior door handle snapped off the door panel. Subsequent to that, the right rear passenger handle snapped off as well. Both of the front handles are cracked and on the brink of breaking off. In the event of an accident, a rear passenger would not be able to exit the vehicle without either going through a window or a front door.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

May 212015

Grand Cherokee

The plastic trim panels on the two passenger doors began to crack mainly around the door handle but in other places also. They cracked so badly that the door handle had nothing to hold on to and just fell off. The passengers can not get out of the car from the inside. This is a major safety concern. I did contact Jeep several times but they are claiming this is not a defect. Perhaps one handle falling off is not a defect but when it happens on multiple handles in the same car ant to multiple owners, it sure seems like a defect to me. Based on information on the internet, this problem is far reaching with the door trim panels on Jeep.

- Oakdale, NY, USA

Jun 232012

Grand Cherokee

All of the interior door handle are broken. All four of them were replaced once. A few months after being replace they all broke once again. So now the doors can only be opened from the outside, and to get out of the car the windows have to be rolled down to open with the outside handle. The Jeep dealer was called. They told me that it wouldn't be covered by the warranty because of the mileage and called it "wear and tear". this is a big issue, my passengers and I can't get out of my Jeep unless the windows are down and reach out of the vehicle to open with outside handle. It is also hard for me to do at times because I am a petite woman.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Apr 082014

Grand Cherokee

The door handle housing in front and rear doors have shattered causing open/closing mechanism to fail.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Feb 112015

Grand Cherokee

The car would die after being at a stop sign and accelerating to pull out into an intersection leaving my daughter with no power. This has happened at least 3 to 4 times since we purchased this Jeep from the first owner. We've been waiting for months to get this corrected. I call the local dealer every 3-4 months trying to get this resolved. With the first incident and maybe the second, the recall hadn't been issued. We first thought we needed to change out the spark plugs. After not getting any assistance because there is no available part, we called the Chrysler group recall center. After waiting over two hours to speak to someone and only getting the recorded greeting, we gave up. We are very concerned at this point as our youngest daughter is using this vehicle. We love this car but safety comes first. After reading the information provided by Chrysler regarding its descripted "the problem", ethically, I couldn't sell this to anyone knowing it has a recall.

- Norman, OK, USA

Apr 172015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I received an important safety recall notice P41/NHTSA 14V-438 in Sept. 2014. As of April 17, more than six months later, Chrysler has not remedied this defect. I am concerned that this is not important to them.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Jan 012014

Grand Cherokee

Ignition turned off from touching the key while driving causing my Jeep's engine to stall. No power steering. Was able to get off the road without incident. This has happened 4 times since January of 2015. I removed the key chain but it still happened again. The keys's ignition sets to close to control panels.

- Newport, VA, USA

Jun 012014

Grand Cherokee

June of 2014 and still to this day the gear shift can be moved from "P" to any gear, and that is when no keys are in the ignition/and no foot on the brake. I was working under the hood and my 4 year old son did just that and almost ran me over. I checked and the vehicle had no keys in it they were with me in my tool box because I didn't want him to do just that. I checked out the situation to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and to my surprise and still til this day, I can enter the vehicle with no keys and no foot on the brake just reach in and move the gear shift from "P" to any gear resulting in the clunk of the transmission and rolling of the vehicle. This is very unnerving and would like this to be fixed. I have read countless articles and blogs about this exact same problem.

- Mount Vernon, OH, USA

Oct 172012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

My husband I where in a head on crash with this vehicle, survived with serious injuries. Since the accident we have been getting different recalls on this vehicle, which is making us wonder if there was a vehicle mal-function that may have caused this horrific accident. Not sure of the mileage at the time of the accident.

- Catskill, NY, USA

Jul 062014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased the Grand Cherokee just the day before the incident. When I purchased it I did notice on driver side door plastic was broken around handle but was still operational. The next day my daughter was getting out of front passenger door when plastic broke around handle and handle itself would not work. I did some research online and saw that thousands of Grand Cherokee owners have had the same exact problem. There was even a guy who started making and selling his own replacement kit. This could be a huge safety issue if something were to happen and driver or passengers needed to exit vehicle immediately and could not if windows didn't work to use exterior handle to exit. Why hasn't this been recalled?

- Norfolk, NE, USA

Apr 192014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Every time while driving the air bag light on dash is always on. Then upon driving, suddenly the seat belt alarm starts buzzing even though all seat belts are latched properly. Then the engine light will come on. Shortly after the dash goes completely black. All alarms and lights go out along with the heating/ac. This is on a routine basis.

- West Union, SC, USA

Nov 272013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

After having safety recall N23 done to my Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L I have since been locked out of 4-wheel low. The N23 safety recall for my vehicle has not worked as it has created another safety issue by me not having my 4-low in a state (Colorado) that I use 4-low in for winter and for recreation use. I was almost trapped in the cold mountains due to not knowing the N23 recall deactivated my 4-low. Not only if this a safety issue but my vehicles value has diminished greatly as now it's a 2wd vehicle.

- Monument, CO, USA

Sep 032012

Grand Cherokee

All interior door hinges are attached to a plastic housing and that housing has begun to crumble on all four doors. The door hinges are cheap plastic and have an obvious manufacturing defect. I have searched the web regarding this defect, and I am not surprised to see thousands of folks with the same problem as me. There are hundreds of videos on youtube, and many more posting throughout the web of Jeep owners complaining about this issue. This is an obvious hazard because it would prevent anyone from exiting the vehicle in case of an emergency (say a fire).

- Leon Valley, TX, USA

Feb 282014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Recall was supposedly taken care of on 2/28/2014. But on 3/05/2014 around 530pm on the parkway going home from work my Jeep started to hesitant and then an exit away my slippery indication light came on and it made me nervous so when I got home I called the Jeep Chrysler dealership and they told me the service department was closed so I called the next day and let them know what happen and the receptionist said someone would call me back. That was about 8 am then I called my job to let them know I'd be late. It was going on almost 10am no one called so I called them again and they told me someone will call so I went to the dealership and waited for about 20 minutes and then was told they couldn't look at my car until Monday or Tuesday. I'm very upset because I use my car to get back and forth to work and I'm going to miss now 3 days because of it and they wouldnt even give me a rental so I wouldn't miss work. The ABS light came on and won't go off as well as the slippery indication light. How am I going to get back and forth to work next week? help!

- Hempstead, NY, USA

Feb 052014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Checking to see if my vehicle has a recall.

- Utica, NY, USA

Sep 082013

Grand Cherokee

Plastic door handle casing is cracked on front driver door interior. Plastic door handle casing is completely broken on left rear passenger door interior, causing door handle to hang and be unsafe to use. No incident caused this other than a passenger simply trying to open the door to exit. As it remains, the rear passenger can not safely exit the car due to this problem.

- Mt. Pleasant, SC, USA