2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 142016

Grand Cherokee

Remedy: Chrysler intends to repair vehicles free of charge (parts and labor). However, the part required to provide a permanent remedy for this condition is currently not available. Chrysler is making every effort to provide the part as quickly as possible. ****this was 2014, no updates so far as to parts being available. Two years is not timely.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Jul 272016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle completely shuts off while driving, with 4 attempts by the dealership service, vehicle continues to shut off while driving.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Dec 232015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owned a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 30 mph, the power steering and power brakes failed. As a result, the contact crashed into a median. The air bags did not deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 122016

Grand Cherokee

While I was driving on a main road, my car completely shut down. My steering wheel was locked, gas and brake petal were not working, basically my car was going on its own. Worst part was that it was going on a slant while other cars driving 45/50 miles per hour heading towards me. I could not stop my car, nor drive my car, nor try and steer myself to a safe location. My car just kept going. Something needs to be done. I have almost lost my life 2 times already. I do not feel safe driving my vehicle. Everytime I go to Chrysler... they do not know what to do or what is going on. When will this be fixed and how?

- Washington, MI, USA

Apr 042016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While attempting to park the vehicle, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to steer without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Huntington Park, CA, USA

Jan 182016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owned a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 65 mph and attempting to overtake another vehicle, the power steering failed. The power steering failure caused the contact's vehicle to crash into a metal guardrail. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the back and hand, which required medical attention. The contact stated that passengers in the vehicle also sustained injuries to the arms and legs, but medical attention was not required. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 032016

Grand Cherokee

I have called the dealership three times since December 2015 to check on the status of my recall. They have put me on a wait list with no return call and no sign of this being completed. I was also told that after they have availability and they take my vehicle in, they would still have no date which they can tell me when the work will be completed. I am very dissatisfied with the lack of safety concern and urgency taken by this dealership to remedy the recall. Covert Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram 8107 research blvd (512) 730-3300

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 182015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle began to shift automatically and swerved to the right while all the warning lights illuminated. The contact also stated that he experienced a power steering failure. In addition, the contact stated that the pulley wheel and alternator belt fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 171,803.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Nov 082015

Grand Cherokee

Recall P41 on 11/8/2015-I was driving my 05jgcl and I had a blow out in the R/F wheel causing me to bounce around and lose control of vehicle where my knee came in to contact with the igniton causing my vehicle to turn off- when trying to restart the Jeep the vehicle in front of me stopped short I then forced wheel to the right and I came into contact with a utility pole causing total loss of vehicle

- East Providence, RI, USA

Oct 012013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 35 mph, the steering wheel completely seized and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- South Park, PA, USA

Sep 152015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 35 mph, the engine light illuminated and the vehicle stopped after making a left turn. In addition, the power steering and brakes failed. The contact received a recall notification; however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 122,900. Updated 11/23/15 the consumer received a recall notice, regarding the ignition switch, after she had already paid to have it replaced. Updated 12/28/15.

- Freeport , IL, USA

May 282015

Grand Cherokee

I was on my way to work and in mid motion the cars engine power steering and brakes shut off. Luckily I was going slow enough that I was able to stop my car and restart it without any accidents. But I'm terrified the next time will I won't be so lucky.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle randomly stalls when coming to a stop or slowing down to pull into a parking space. RPM's will drop and the vehicle will sometimes recover, or stall in some cases. Incident occurs 1- 5 times per day.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jul 062015

Grand Cherokee

When it started malfunctioning, I would be just driving and my Jeep would just shut off, engine, power, all the dash lights come on, and steering becomes difficult as well as braking, and now it won't start. This is extremely dangerous to be driving but the ignition switch isn't available yet, this is a known recall and now its causing me to miss work since its my only vehicle. This is unacceptable and very dangerous, this has taken far too long to fix. Please help! I need a loaner!

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jun 062014

Grand Cherokee

On at least 4 occasions, my Jeep has randomly lost power such that the power steering, accelerator, and brake systems stopped working. Each time it has occurred, it was at a low rate of speed, so the danger of a catastrophic accident was low; however, one time it occurred when I was on a hill and I couldn't stop the Jeep from rolling down hill. I had to coast through a stop sign and only came to rest because of a curb on the opposite side of the street. Luckily, no cars were coming in the opposite direction.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 122015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at approximately 60 mph, the vehicle lost power and was unable to steer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 75,763. MA 10/6 updated 3/28/2016

- New Orleans , LA, USA

Jun 272015

Grand Cherokee

I drove into an advance auto parking and when I was driving the car seem to accelerated and I could not turn the wheel on the car I tried to push the brakes to stop the car but the braking system was not working. I could not turn the wheel and the braking system was not working and I started to panic. My car ran right into a metal pole and totaled my car. The police at the seen told me and my husband that the impact that the vehicle took, the airbags should of came out, but they did not. My car is totaled and the body of the car in the front is split in half.

- Newton, NC, USA

Jul 232015

Grand Cherokee

In rush hour traffic, the car would lose power everytime the car came to a stop or idled. 3 days later, the car lost power in speed limit traffic after going over the railroad tracks. Since then, it loses power at every stop. If I am not aware, the car rolls into oncoming traffic! I took the car to my nearest dealer. They confirmed that it was the ignition switch that has been recalled and a part hasn't been sent to dealers. I called Chrysler and all they did was put me on a list! they apologized for me not having a car to drive and that was it! they would not provide me with a timeline of when the part would be ready. They refused to provide me with a loaner vehicle while it was off the road. I have lost my mode of transportation unless I want to risk my and my family's life, and they say there is nothing they can do even though they are at fault!

- Eastman, GA, USA

Jul 162015

Grand Cherokee

I was driving down the highway going approximately 65 mph when, without warning, the vehicle shut down completely. Engine shut down, all power steering, braking, and power systems were lost. Luckily, I was in the far right lane and was able to pull safely to the side of the road. Once the vehicle came to a complete stop I was able to restart the vehicle and continue on. This is an extremely dangerous issue. After calling the dealer was told there was a recall for the symptoms described but no parts available to fix it and it could be months before it could be fixed. No offer was made to provide me with a vehicle to drive while the issue remained open. I am not going to endanger my life, my family's lives, or the lives of other drivers by continuing to operate this vehicle. The dealer should be required to provide an alternate mode of transportation to the customer if the issue cannot be resolved in a timely manor.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Jan 092015

Grand Cherokee

The first incident took place approximately on the above date. As my daughter, friends and I were pulling onto the road, I bumped the key with my knee and the vehicle shut off completely. Everything went dead. I put it in neutral, turned the key, started it, and continued on. It has happened 3 times since then, twice with my daughter driving. We followed the recall posted by Chrysler and removed everything from the key chain, moved the seat back, etc. (there is no fix offered for this). This past Saturday night, 7/25/15, my 18 year old daughter was returning home from a friends house when she sneezed and as she was recovering and re-adjusting, she bumped the key and shut the car off. When this happens, everything is cut off. Lights, brakes, gauges, everything. Being dark, she could not see, could barely steer, brake, etc. And was basically "along for the ride". as she was in a left turn at the time, she pulled the wheel to the right to try and stay on the road and not go "beyond the turn" and crash. Because the brakes were not working, she was going too fast, managed to get the car going to the right but ended up in a slide. The car slid sideways and then backwards, sliding off the road to the right side and onto a driveway where the driver side front wheel caught the culvert under the driveway, flipping the Jeep onto the drivers side where it remained as it slid backwards for about 10 feet, stopping in a residents yard. Thankfully, my daughter was able to climb up and out the passenger window, unharmed, go to a house and get help. Because there is not a "fix" for this problem (Chrysler admits this on the recall notice), I am out a vehicle because of a defect they can not/will not fix. Because of the year model and mileage, I only carried liability insurance, so the damage to the vehicle will exceed the cost to repair. I feel Chrysler owes me the replacement cost.

- Albemarle, NC, USA