2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 012012

Grand Cherokee

Takata recall: I was in an accident with my 2006 Grand Cherokee. The accident was due to the ignition switch and the vehicle powering down while in drive, or in use. Injuries were suffered due to the airbag's none deployment. After taking the vehicle to the dealer and attempting to have two recalls replaced, I was told there presently was no available fix, or replacement for recall P41. The vehicle was serviced in 2015 at fitzpatrick's Chrysler Jeep (430 E main street, ansonia, ct 06401 (203) 734-3318) for recalls P41(ignition switch) & N23(powertrain transfer case electrical system). In January of 2012 with 37K on the vehicle there was the first of two accidents that relate to recall P41. This accident was due to unresponsive braking and steering, which was caused by the ignition switch moving from the on position to the off position while the vehicle was in drive, or in use. This accident happened when attempting to stop the vehicle (rte. 80 East haven, ct) I noticed the vehicle was unresponsive. I used both feet and hands to apply the breaks, while simultaneously wrapping both hands around the lower half of the steering wheel and pulling upward with my biceps to apply additional downward momentum to the break pedal, but still I could not stop the vehicle. Injuries were sustained and out pocket costs for this accident total over $7000 dollars. The second accident happened in 2016. Not realizing the vehicle was off while attempting to bring the vehicle to a full stop on the highway (rte.15 no haven, ct.), I had a collision. The force of the impact slammed my face into the steering wheel. I was dazed and confused, wondering, why hadn't the airbags deployed. This is the second incident I've had with this vehicle that was directly related to the ignition switch. And, in both accidents airbags were never deployed. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

- Seymour, CT, USA

Aug 092016

Grand Cherokee

My ignition switched off disabling mostly everything on the vehicle. This was all while doing 75 mph on the interstate. I love Jeep but they to get this fixed.

- Jacksboro, TN, USA

Jun 152016

Grand Cherokee

When I'm driving while in motion in a straight line all of a sudden my dash lights flicker and my ac stutters on and off and then all power stops and my brakes more or less lock up but not all the way but the engine still runs.... I'm not sure if the windows stop working or not but its been happening a few times and it seems like its going to need a tow truck but when I pull over off the highway and turn it off and restart it resets its self my Jeep only has 78,000 miles on it because it was sitting in storage for 6 years while I was out of the states so it did not get driven and the dealership took it and changed all belts fluids and gave it a checkup before I drove it again

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Dec 222015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 45 mph, the ABS and passenger side air bag light illuminated. The brake pedal became difficult to depress and required excessive force. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a previous recall on NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,645.

- Laurel, MS, USA

Nov 152015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owned a 2006 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the brake pedal failed to respond when depressed causing the contact to veer off the road and crash into a light pole. The vehicle was towed and deemed destroyed. There were no injuries sustained. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 04/20/16

- Thornton, CO, USA

Dec 292015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

After the dealer repaired recall P41/NHTSA 14V-438: Loss engine power, power brake assist seat belt and air condition failure. The problem always in motion.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 012015

Grand Cherokee

Recall P41- having symptoms as described in recall, loss of power steering, braking and engine power on 3 occasions, while traveling a slow speed approx 20mph and turning on city street.. local dealership has a waiting list of 4 months to fix problem

- Redding, CA, USA

Aug 152013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the fuel line had a hole in it and caused fuel to pour out. In addition, the brake transmission interlock system did not work. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Oct 212015

Grand Cherokee

Received the recall notice and contacted porterville Chrysler. Despite the recall notice about increased risk of occupant injury as well as the potential to cause a collision without warning, they said they had no parts to replace the ones causing the issue, and they had no idea when they would. They claim to have had parts on order for over a year but none have been received and that they could not help me out by complying with the recall notice.

- Porterville, CA, USA

Oct 152014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hazlet, NJ, USA

Aug 122015

Grand Cherokee

While driving the ignition turns off, the interior instruments don't work, the brakes, make a noise, the steering get hard to turn. When I turn the key back to the right everything comes back on. Occurred at least 5 times over last few months. Have been reported to dealership twice, who says Dodge is dragging their feet with recall ignition switches. Have complained to Dodge who says I have to brig it to the dealership for diagnosis and I may have to pay for it. But I have a recall notice on the part.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Sep 022015

Grand Cherokee

I was driving to work down an incline/hill on 9/2, there was traffic ahead, the engine shut off and the breaks locked. I pulled the E-break and swerved off the side of the road, luckily without any crash. I was able to restart the vehicle but had a tow truck tow it to my local mechanic who verified there was no problem with the breaks, and notified me of the recall P41 on the ignition switch which can cause the engine to shut off and power steering and breaks to lock while driving. The Jeep dealership told me not only are the parts not available but they don't know when they will be available and they can't diagnose this as the problem without replicating the problem. This is a known issue so it is unclear to me why the issue would have to be replicated. I have a baby and do not want to drive this car, as recommended by Jeep customer service and the dealership, and risk accident to myself or others until the part is in and fixed. I can't believe Jeep would ask me to continue driving this vehicle not only knowing there is a risk but an actual problem. I think it's fair that Jeep provide me with a safe alternative form of transportation in the meantime.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Jan 282015

Grand Cherokee

I have a recall that says that the ignition switch can change position while I am driving causing the car to cut off while driving. This can cause a loss in engine power, powere steering, braking assistance and possible failure of air bags causing an accident. The incident that I describe above occurred on interstate 85. I beleive that was what happened as I was able to coast off the raod to an exit. Sat for a while trying to fiqure out what was wrong finally after a while the car started back up and I got to my destination. After reading the article and looking up my VIN number which shows this recall I beleive that is what happended. This recall has been pending for more than a year and Chrysler still says they don't hav the parts to fix it.the Chrysler recall # is 14V-438.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Jun 302015

Grand Cherokee

Going 40 mph the all lights on dashboard came on, the radio shut off, the ABS brakes made a noise then everything on dashboard went out. Check engine light came on & the gas gage didn't work you couldn't tell how fast you were going, the air conditioner quit & engine stopped, the vehicle was hard to steer & the brakes were manual & then engine started again. I turned the car off & turned it back on & the check engine light is on & the dashboard seems to work again. This has happened 2 times within 3 days. I am renting a vehicle cause I'm too afraid to drive the vehicle. There is a recall on this vehicle for the ignition switch with all the same vehicle loss of engine power, power steering & braking assist but it doesn't include the dashboard lights coming on & the dealers say it is not the same thing. The ignition switch recall came out in July 2014 & to date they have not provided any dealerships with the replacement parts. How can Jeep say it is not the same problem if they won't replace the recalled ignition switch to find out?

- White Oak, PA, USA

Jun 082015

Grand Cherokee

While driving my vehicle, the A/C, dash, and power steering shut down. Additionally, this casuea the brakes to lock up. This is a direct issue with the ignition. When the key is in the "on" position, the vehicle acts as if it were in the "off" position. This issue has put me in multiple situations where I feared an accident was imminent. I called my local Jeep dealership which informed me that the replacement part was not yet available. I was encouraged to call Chrysler's main office to get an update. They advised me that it was not yet available and that their recommendation was to not drive my vehicle until the recall was available. This vehicle is my only means of transportation, so that is not an option for me. The recall for this part was issued 9/3/14, it is now 6/9/15 and the recalled part still cannot be replaced.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Jun 012015

Grand Cherokee

My car ignition inadvertently turned off and disabling power steering, brake etc. This resulted in the driver not being able to control the keep. The Jeep rolled down the hill and hit the car behind and damaging both the cars and injuring one of the passengers in the car behind.

- Millburn, NJ, USA

Oct 252013

Grand Cherokee

While driving Jeep lost all power this has happened 4 times I took it back to dealer but they didn't find any thing this last time it was in a rear end accident so Chrysler took it back to investigate the problem the dealer has had for a total of over 9 weeks and still don't have a answer for it I don't know what to do know can you help.

- Laporte, IN, USA

Apr 042015

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

This is not the first time this has happened since I purchased the Jeep in 2009 but it was the most significant one. All lights went off inside & out. There was some problem with the steering & the braking also. The motor did not die nor did the A/C or radio go off. When this happens all the warning lights flash a few times & for a few seconds I loose all the lights & experience the braking & steering problems. I did receive the recall notice for the ignition switch in September, 2014 stating that they were trying to get the parts for repair but I have not heard anything else from Chrysler. This is the only vehicle that I have and at this point I am afraid to drive any distance.

- Westmoreland, TN, USA

Feb 012012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Starting in Feb. 2012 the engine would quit running while driving. When the engine would quit we loose steering and braking. The vehicle starts right back up and is drivable. We would experience this problem once every 2-3 months. The frequency in which this is happening has increased with the latest incident occurring 3-18-15 while exiting the interstate and nearly avoiding a crash off the roadway. We received a recall notice from Jeep (P41) but everytime we call they tell us the parts are not available. I have tried several times to contact Jeep but am left on hold for over 40 minutes. Can you please help us with this problem.

- Gretna, LA, USA

Mar 062015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle jerked forward without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, the contact stated that the hydraulic service brake warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) and 07V434000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Brockton, MA, USA