2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Jun 252015

Grand Cherokee

While driving the vehicle at night, the dash panel lights and headlights began to flicker on and off repeatedly. Turned the headlights off then back on and the problem went away for a few minutes then started again. The next day the service engine soon light came on and I lost acceleration ability, RPM's went up but the vehicle wouldn't accelerate while already in gear on a main road at a stop sign. Codes P0700 and P2767 were set.

- Davison , MI, USA

Dec 222014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 65 mph, the vehicle lost power. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate and the engine rpms increased. Multiple warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the transmission and the ignition system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Weston, FL, USA

May 192011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled. While parked, the vehicle would sometimes move forward even with the brake pedal depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the failure could not be diagnosed. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Mar 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 50 mph, the vehicle lost power and jerked. In addition, all the lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. MA 10/19/15 the consumer stated the airbag light illuminated for weeks at a time then went off. The cruise control would not engage. Updated 3/21/2016

- Benton, AR, USA

Sep 132012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the contact discovered that the engine rpms begin to increase and the transmission failed to shift into the next gear. The contact pulled over to the side of the road and restarted the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Tallassee, AL, USA

Dec 082014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred several times. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000. Updated 6/11/15 the consumer stated the vehicle shut off and a message displayed invalid key. A red blinking light illuminated on the instrument panel. It took at least five attempts to re-start the vehicle. Also, while driving 35-45 mph, the vehicle down shifted very hard and then up shifted to a higher gear. Updated 06/23/15

- Fenton , MI, USA

May 062015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 35 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The contact mentioned that all the warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic but the failure was unable to be determined.the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.the VIN was not available.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Apr 192015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the transmission control module dropped out of the vehicle causing the vehicle to come to a complete stop. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that this was a known failure with this year and model vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and explained to the contact that the part needed was on back order and there was no time frame for when the repair could be performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Shrewsbury, PA, USA

Apr 202015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

We have been waiting over 9 months since our initial letter from Chrysler notifying us that our electrical switch was questionable. There is also a recall out for power train parts where the Jeep may slip into neutral--this has happened several times, to the point where we are unsafe driving it. Any contact with Chrysler has resulted in "we've forwarded your complaint to our parts department" and then no response. We were told that no parts are in manufacturing--there aren't even parts to fix the problems!! we cannot drive our Jeep for fear of death / injury. Please help us resolve this problem.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA

Oct 152014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 15 mph, the vehicle lost power and the "transmission overheating" warning displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the part needed to repair the vehicle under NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 5/20/15 updated 05/28/15

- Fernley, NV, USA

Mar 162015

Grand Cherokee

Driving 30 mph, after about 3 miles of driving my check engine light came on. Followed the tips to check the code and it says "transmission over temp". everything seems to be ok at the time but I'm sure this will eventually cause a problem. A couple months ago the whole instrument cluster cut off and on 2 times in a couple minute window but that seems to have been an isolated incident since it hasn't happened since.

- Watervliet, MI, USA

Mar 062015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle jerked forward without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, the contact stated that the hydraulic service brake warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) and 07V434000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Feb 132015

Grand Cherokee

While driving at a speed of approximately 55 mph a noise occurred in the rear of the Jeep. The noise became louder as I slowed down and finally stop. I had it towed to my dealer approximately 85 miles from where it happened. He said the rear end was badly damaged. The cost would be expensive, somewhere between $4000 to $5000. I have no idea how this could happen. My Jeep is a personal use vehicle only, very easy miles and always serviced. I feel this failure is manufacture issue.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Feb 102015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while starting from a stop sign, the vehicle hesitated before moving forward. The contact mentioned that the vehicle failed to accelerate but increased in engine rpms when the accelerator pedal was depressed. Also, the contact mentioned that the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000. Updated 03/30/15 the consumer stated the failures became more frequent. The consumer decided not to drive the vehicle until the recall repair could be completed. Updated 10/20/2015

- Alamo, TN, USA

Sep 052014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to shift gears and the engine rpms increased. The vehicle was restarted, but the failure persisted. The contact stated that there was a manufacturer's recall related to the failure but the part was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The recall number was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- South Dennis, MA, USA

Oct 172012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving on a highway, I noticed my car slowed down and even after applying the gas pedal, it didn't help. After pressing the brakes and pushing the gas pedal again, then it started accelerating. The engine light would blink and lately it stays on. The check engine light stays on and off but once I noticed that when I started the car again, the check engine light was off but I lost one front headlight. I was told by the dealership that I needed to replace a spark plug which cost me almost $300. Now the check engine light is on again and I suspect as other owners have shared it in the forum that it's the ignition switch that's faulty. I just wish NHTSA would do something about this asap. The letter came the mail stating there is a recall on my car but nothing is being done to correct the problem. Are you waiting for severe accidents to happen before you really force Jeep to correct this issue"?? do people have to lose their lives before you act on this problem"

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

Mar 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the RPM's increased to five. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician stated that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 03/24/15 the consumer stated she can no longer drive the vehicle forward. Updated 03/21/15

- Horseshoe Bend, AR, USA

Apr 302006

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle made a loud noise and shifted into low gear independently as the perform service indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose or repair the failure. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 03/24/15 updated 6/19/2015

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Dec 092014

Grand Cherokee

I received a recall notice N23 which said that I needed to call my local Jeep Chrysler service center as soon as possible to have the work done because the problem could cause a crash. I have been trying to call at least a couple of times a week since I have received this notice about 7 months ago and they told me that I am on a waiting list for the part. Nothing can be done until they get the part. Since then, the problems continue to get worse. Last night, I almost crashed as I lost control of the steering because the Jeep seemed to lost control and died momentarily as the lights on my control panel were flashing. I was told it was all due to the key switch but I have now noticed that as the lights are all blindingly flashing there is a grinding noise that sounds like it is coming from under the car near the front. I am not a mechanic so I have no idea and I don't have money to take my Jeep in and have them "try" to figure out what is going on and then charge me for possibly figuring it out. This is unacceptable! we have been waiting for almost seven months for parts that the notice says "please hurry!!! call the express service hotline 1-866-849-3608 right now to schedule your free repair". is it because it is free repair that there is no hurry to get this fixed? I have a child! I almost wrecked. If anyone had been around me or I had been in a curve when I lost the ability to steer after the car died, we could have been killed or we could have killed someone else! I need help now!!!

- Richlands, VA, USA

May 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

All the lights on my instrument panel started flashing and I lost the ability to see my speedometer, the fan was not blowing and this continued until the lights started flashing. The check 4WD system came on and has stayed on. The check 4WD system light came on not long after I bought it and I took it back to the dealership and I was told that it is because there are aluminum parts that get stuck and you can ignore it. That it was working fine. I rarely use my 4WD system and the check engine light would go off normally after I turned the car off. This started happening more frequently and now the lights flashing on my instrument panel is happening all of the time. The check 4WD system light has stayed on for the last few months.

- Richlands, VA, USA