2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Nov 282008

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact noticed that all of the illuminated components in the vehicle would dim intermittently. She was informed that the lights flickered as if she were flashing them during the day and night. The exterior lighting shut off completely. The interior lighting, specifically the instrument panel, would dim while the vehicle was in motion. The contact would have to manually turn them back on again. The electrical system, however, would still malfunction. She took the vehicle to the dealer on two different occasions and to a private mechanic once, but neither could duplicate or determine the cause of the failures. The manufacturer has not been notified. The current mileage was approximately 31,000 and failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Mount Vernon, OH, USA

Nov 282008

Grand Cherokee

Over the last 2 months, my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee has completely shut off unexpectedly while driving. On 4 occasions. The first occasion was 9/30 (35,123 miles) I read the manual that indicated that the engine light could mean a variety of things and it suggested that if the light remained on after a couple of uses to call the dealer. The light went off after two cycles. It occurred 3 weeks later. I made an appointment at a Jeep dealer to correct the problem. The 3rd time it shut of was on the way to the dealer to have it checked. The vehicle was checked by a dealer who could not offer any explanation for the problem. The 4th occasion was on thanksgiving day.) just prior to the car completely shutting down, I heard an unusual sound under the hood, all gauges failed, and I lost all power causing the car to stop. This was extremely dangerous with three of the occasions occurring at intersection as I was pulling out. Fortunately I was able to drift off the side of the road. After drifting off the road and shutting the car off and re-starting the car it would run normally although the engine light remained on. After taking it to the dealer I was told that the problem could not be replicated and nothing could be done. I explained that the problem was very dangerous the dealer said that perhaps if the service tech could drive the vehicle the problem could be diagnosed. The vehicle was left at the dealer for 4 days but the tech could not replicate the problem. The dealer offered no explanation for this extremely dangerous problem. I am now reluctant to drive the vehicle and my wife refuses to drive it for fear it will shut off and cause an accident. The problem again occurred on thanksgiving day. I immediately called the dealer again and explained that it had occurred again. I was told to they were very busy on Friday and that I should bring the vehicle in on Monday. Help I have a vehicle that I cannot safely drive.

- Duncansville, PA, USA

Sep 272008

Grand Cherokee

Purchased 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee new. Within first 6 months have been taking it bake to the dealer for intermittent lack/stalling. This happens while driving at different speeds and mostly making slight turns or when I begin to turn as well as up and down hill. This has been going on for the last 2 yrs, but most recently has happened alot more offend. I have taken it to the dealer with no result each time. Within the last 2 weeks is has stalled at least 7 times. 9/27/08 I was injured from slamming the breaks and fighting the steering to avoid a head on collision at an intersection while starting to make a turn. I did take it to the dealer and again with no result. The day I dropped it off at the dealer it shut down in their lot. I was told that this would have been recorded in the codes, but they told me they found nothing. The next day it stalled while dropping my son off at school. He was with me when I was injured so I can prove it does happen. I did call the dealer back and that was 3 days ago. They will not return my phone call let alone honor my warranty. This car is not safe.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Jul 282008

Grand Cherokee

Several incidents of issue with electrical?? lights on dash flash, power loss to near stall condition. Inability to steer vehicle.

- Naples, FL, USA

Aug 202006

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Engine and electrical.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Aug 102006

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the instrument panel cluster failed while driving 20 mph. He believed that the ABS would engage when the steering wheel was turned, causing the vehicle to completely stop. The contact took the vehicle to three dealers approximately four or five times. The circuit board was replaced most recently, but this may not have corrected the failure. The current mileage was 38,000 and failure mileage was 15,000. Updated 02-25-08 the failure also caused a malfunction of the heated seats, fan motor and braking system. Updated.

- Mattawan, MI, USA

Oct 222007

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

On many occasions my car has stalled out while I am driving. When this happens my power steering goes out and my wheels lock up. It mainly happens when I am going at a slow speed...but on 2 different occasions it has happened on the interstate at 70 mph. I have sent my car in to 2 different 5 star Chrysler repair places...both of these places have stated that they weren't able to identify a problem and thus could not fix my car.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 012006

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

We bought an 04' Jeep Grand Cherokee at Jeep Chrysler Dodge of warwick, the service engine light kept coming on. We took it down for service and they said it was the gas cap. The light still came on and had a hard time starting. We traded it in at the same place 1 month later for an 06 Jeep with 15,000 miles on it. Shortly after this purchase the 4 wheel drive started making horrible noises. We took it for service and they said that it was supposed to make that noise. After that the battery died and they towed it there and replaced the battery. Now we have problems with the Jeep stalling out when we are parked or at an idle. The front passenger side door has came loose from the weld breaking. Now it is hitting the front quarter panel and is chipping paint. All four doors are coming away from the welds causing a safety hazard to all of the passengers. We brought it down for the dealer to look at the doors and they kept putting us of because they said they did not have a loner car, or that the manager was not there, or that there body shop was not available. Now they say that we never brought it down to show them. Every time we brought it to them they never put it in the shop and made excuses for all of the problems. They never put in there computer that we came to them, with these problems and deny that we had any. The one time when they replaced the battery we picked it up with almost 150 extra miles on it. We have been extremely unhappy with the dealers service and the quality of the vehicle itself.

- Pinebush, NY, USA

Jun 022007

Grand Cherokee 4WD

While driving with ac on all lights and gauges go off, ac turns off, luckely engine keeps running, this has happened al least three times, took to dealer and had it checked, car was checked and was told everything is ok. This is not a very reliable vehicle. Please let me know if there is any recall on this vehicle for this kind of, or any other electrical problem. Thank you

- Kenilworth, NJ, USA

Jul 122007

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Previous reference # 10190692 today with no warning while driving my car at approx 1:00 pm my car was once again uncontrolable and the steering jerked me to the left which caused me to be in another lane and I was almost involved in a head on collision with an oncoming vehicle. Also, once again my dash lights were completely out which inlcuded my speedometer, odometer, temp & fuel - everything was black & I had no turn signals and my air conditioner would not blow any air at all - the only thing that worked was the radio and my power windows. Once again I immediately contacted the dealership and they came out and towed my vehicle to buchanan auto park. I've since then spoke with Chrysler and they are looking into a replacement vehicle and I've been in contact with the attorney generals office and they are also going to try to help me get out of this vehicle. I was only traveling approx 15 miles an hour in lunch hour traffic in hagerstown, md 21740. I explained before that if I were on the interstate going 50 + mph I feel very confident that the outcome would be very worse and myself, my family and other innocent drivers could be injured. I really think that this needs checked into. I fear for my safety, my families safety and othre innocent drivers.

- Waynesboro, PA, USA

May 282006

Grand Cherokee

Purchased new Jeep Grand Cherokee in May 2006. The problem started almost immediately and continue., dealership could not find or fix the problem. The vehicle lost engine power while driving, resulting in no steering or brakes. This happened every few days, without warning, most recently at speed of 50 mph, causing me to have to manually, with much difficulty, steered off road into field to avoid a collision with other vehicles. This was extremely dangerous, I could only imagine if it happened on an expressway during heavy traffic how many people would be killed. The local dealership always stated they could not duplicate problem, and asked me to keep driving until it happened again, then bring the car back in. This could not go on! someone or many people were going to be killed because of this dangerous vehicle, but I have to have something to drive. Please help.

- King, NC, USA

Dec 192006

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While sitting at a traffic light or idling the vehicle rpms will drop and the vehicle starts to idle rough and skip and has on occasion shut off. The Jeep has been to the dealer about 15 or 20 times with 7 attempts to repair the issue, the final attemp I was told that it was an computer programming issue and they were not able to fix.

- Springfield, GA, USA