2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Aug 182015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was difficult to shift and the engine misfired. In addition, the vehicle shifted independently. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 141,000. Updated 11/18/15 the consumer stated he paid for the repairs at his expense. Updated 11/25/15.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Aug 062014

Grand Cherokee

It has been over a year since the recall for the ignition switch... Chrysler/Fiat has yet to make the replacement part available to any of the 4-5 local dealers in northern ca that are within 50 miles of my home. They seem to be avoiding responsibility to correct the problem

- Sonoma, CA, USA

Aug 222015

Grand Cherokee

While parked the car will rotate between not cranking to starting but shutting completely off. In addition to these issues while driving 40 mph the vehicle will sometimes stall and engine will start to lose power. I took the vehicle into cutter Dodge in honolulu for repair on 8/25. They diagnosed the problem as a ignition switch recall but they didn't have the part to fix it at this time. In addition, stated that the wireless control module(wcm) had failed and needed to be replaced. While the car was there they also performed a 28 point inspection and didn't find any additional concerns. Nine days later the wcm part come in from Canada and was replaced. My vehicle was returned to me on 9/2. the car ran as intended at times for 9 days and on 9/12 the no crank, no start issue returned. As of the time of this formal complaint the vehicle will not start. In a closing, the issues the car was experiencing prior to taking it to the dealership for repair or exactly the same issues that I'm experiencing today. I will have the Jeep towed back to the dealership first thing Sunday morning.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Sep 022015

Grand Cherokee

I was driving to work down an incline/hill on 9/2, there was traffic ahead, the engine shut off and the breaks locked. I pulled the E-break and swerved off the side of the road, luckily without any crash. I was able to restart the vehicle but had a tow truck tow it to my local mechanic who verified there was no problem with the breaks, and notified me of the recall P41 on the ignition switch which can cause the engine to shut off and power steering and breaks to lock while driving. The Jeep dealership told me not only are the parts not available but they don't know when they will be available and they can't diagnose this as the problem without replicating the problem. This is a known issue so it is unclear to me why the issue would have to be replicated. I have a baby and do not want to drive this car, as recommended by Jeep customer service and the dealership, and risk accident to myself or others until the part is in and fixed. I can't believe Jeep would ask me to continue driving this vehicle not only knowing there is a risk but an actual problem. I think it's fair that Jeep provide me with a safe alternative form of transportation in the meantime.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Aug 082013

Grand Cherokee

I was reversing and came to a complete stop to shift into drive, when I shifted into drive and let my foot off the brake, it killed the engine and completely shut it off. All electronics remained on. I then reapplied my foot on the brake and shifted into park and started the engine up again, shifted into drive and was able to drive. This continues to happen from time to time and not every time and no one can figure out the issue.

- Indianola, IA, USA

Nov 252014

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle ignition turned off while traveling. Recall NHTSA 14V-438. Chrysler has yet to provide a means to correct this safety issue.

- Soddy Daisy, TN, USA

Jun 302015

Grand Cherokee

The check engine (gas cap) warning light came on. Then I was backing out of our driveway, stopped to put garage door down and the vehicle quit (while in reverse and it was idling). The vehicle started right up when I put it in park but then quit again approximately 2 hours later when I was pulling into a parking space. We took it into a dealership in nampa and they stated that they fixed the problem with the check engine light but they did not know why the vehicle quit. They informed us that there was a recall on the ignition switch and that could be the problem but parts to fix it were not available. I called Chrysler and they told me parts may be available in September. I am afraid to drive the vehicle because we live in a remote mountain area and if the vehicle quits, I will not have power brakes or power steering when driving along the river on a very curvy, treacherous road. I cannot afford to leave the vehicle parked until parts are available at an apparently unknown date. Chrysler did suggest that I have the ignition replaced and they may or may not reimburse me. The dealership said the parts they currently have may or may not fix the problem. Can you please tell me what you would suggest" what happens if the vehicle quits and there is an accident? is Chrysler and/or the dealership liable for any injury and/or damages" thank you.

- Cascade, ID, USA

Jan 032011

Grand Cherokee

Engine suddenly stops, all lights on dashboard come on, unable to steer properly and control vehicle...breaking doesn't work well either when this happens..on occassion I have been able to re-start the engine immediately but the check engine light comes on and stays on for a few days. Has happened while driving, while parked, while idling in traffic...I only have the ignition key in use I do not have a heavy key chain. Extremely scary when this has happened on interstate!! please let me know if there is a fix for this problem. I have taken it to a shop several times and they cannot find anything and tell me there are no recalls on my vehicle.

- Winchester, TN, USA

Jan 282015

Grand Cherokee

I have a recall that says that the ignition switch can change position while I am driving causing the car to cut off while driving. This can cause a loss in engine power, powere steering, braking assistance and possible failure of air bags causing an accident. The incident that I describe above occurred on interstate 85. I beleive that was what happened as I was able to coast off the raod to an exit. Sat for a while trying to fiqure out what was wrong finally after a while the car started back up and I got to my destination. After reading the article and looking up my VIN number which shows this recall I beleive that is what happended. This recall has been pending for more than a year and Chrysler still says they don't hav the parts to fix it.the Chrysler recall # is 14V-438.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Sep 252012

Grand Cherokee

When driving my transmission would be stuck in a gear sometimes and other times it would shift to neutral while on city roads and highways. This would happen mostly when accelerating when the automatic transmission had to shift to the next gear. It wouldn't or would go to neutral so I had to shift the transmission back and forth from neutral to drive to catch a gear. I read about a recall back in 2013 but Chrysler said it did not apply to my vehicle so I paid to get the problem fixed. Since Chrysler is currently having recall problems I'm curious to find out if this was something that wasn't reported.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Jun 302015

Grand Cherokee

Going 40 mph the all lights on dashboard came on, the radio shut off, the ABS brakes made a noise then everything on dashboard went out. Check engine light came on & the gas gage didn't work you couldn't tell how fast you were going, the air conditioner quit & engine stopped, the vehicle was hard to steer & the brakes were manual & then engine started again. I turned the car off & turned it back on & the check engine light is on & the dashboard seems to work again. This has happened 2 times within 3 days. I am renting a vehicle cause I'm too afraid to drive the vehicle. There is a recall on this vehicle for the ignition switch with all the same vehicle loss of engine power, power steering & braking assist but it doesn't include the dashboard lights coming on & the dealers say it is not the same thing. The ignition switch recall came out in July 2014 & to date they have not provided any dealerships with the replacement parts. How can Jeep say it is not the same problem if they won't replace the recalled ignition switch to find out?

- White Oak, PA, USA

Jun 182015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While idling, the vehicle would stall and come to a complete stop. The contact had to turn off the engine and restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed by an independent mechanic or a dealer. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Weathland, CA, USA

Oct 252013

Grand Cherokee

While driving Jeep lost all power this has happened 4 times I took it back to dealer but they didn't find any thing this last time it was in a rear end accident so Chrysler took it back to investigate the problem the dealer has had for a total of over 9 weeks and still don't have a answer for it I don't know what to do know can you help.

- Laporte, IN, USA

May 012015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly shut off. After restarting the engine, the vehicle would operate normally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Aiken, SC, USA

May 012015

Grand Cherokee

On July 18 2014 recall # P41 was issued by Chrysler Corp. They have, as yet no solution for this issue. It has been almost a year and no solution in sight. Who in their right mind issues a recall without a solution? I need this recall completed so I can get it licensed. I need the nhtsb to insist that Chrysler live up to it's claim that safety is of paramount importance. Either abandon this recall or fix the problem.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 132012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the contact discovered that the engine rpms begin to increase and the transmission failed to shift into the next gear. The contact pulled over to the side of the road and restarted the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Tallassee, AL, USA

Dec 082014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred several times. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000. Updated 6/11/15 the consumer stated the vehicle shut off and a message displayed invalid key. A red blinking light illuminated on the instrument panel. It took at least five attempts to re-start the vehicle. Also, while driving 35-45 mph, the vehicle down shifted very hard and then up shifted to a higher gear. Updated 06/23/15

- Fenton , MI, USA

Mar 282015

Grand Cherokee

Prior to the incident, my Jeep felt as if it were having trouble switching between gears. It felt jerky, if you will. While traveling along I-95 on the East coast of Florida, my Jeep (twice) slipped gear and appeared to have gone into neutral. If you know the area, it's not the ideal place for this to happen. Since returning to the West coast of Florida, it has happened once. I've taken to to a shop for a tune-up and to check on that problem. Needless to say, the 'fix' did not fix it and I'm still experiencing jerky shifts and gear failure. I've read a number of similar complaints regarding the same type of incidents on the NHTSA website, but have not located a fix for the problem. Without hesitation, I'll say I'm terrified.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Apr 102015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Upon preparing to stop and/or make a left hand turn (multiple incidents) vehicle's ignition shuts off. This is very dangerous as I was attempting a left turn on a busy industrial 4 lane road when the vehicle shut off mid-turn. I had two small children with me (1 and 4) and am extremely lucky I was not hit, from both sides. My knee sits approximately 8 inches from the ignition switch so I know it was not bumped.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Nov 262014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at various speeds, all of the gauges on the instrument panel flickered intermittently and the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Lakeville, MA, USA