2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Apr 102015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Upon preparing to stop and/or make a left hand turn (multiple incidents) vehicle's ignition shuts off. This is very dangerous as I was attempting a left turn on a busy industrial 4 lane road when the vehicle shut off mid-turn. I had two small children with me (1 and 4) and am extremely lucky I was not hit, from both sides. My knee sits approximately 8 inches from the ignition switch so I know it was not bumped.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Nov 262014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at various speeds, all of the gauges on the instrument panel flickered intermittently and the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Lakeville, MA, USA

Nov 202014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving, there was a sudden loss of engine power. The contact received a manufacturer's recall related to the failure and stated that the parts were not available for several months. The dealer did not give a specific date when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 6/3/15 the consumer stated the dash lights, electronic stability, traction control system and esp illuminated. Updated 06/09/15

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Feb 012015

Grand Cherokee

Mine is doing the same as the rest! and no help from a dealer or anyone! about a month and a half ago I was traveling in cruise at 70mph started to notice every crack in the hwy my headlights would flicker, figured one was going bad. 15 miles later my dash, radio, headlights, and cruise all shut off on me. In the blink of an eye they come back on (including all the warning lights), except for my cruise. Remembering the recall notice, the parts I can't get, and the fact I was a service writer for 8 years at a dealership, I realized my truck had shut off and turned back on (my key never moved). So as I drive on it starts doing it every 20 min or so. The next day on my way home it started doing it again. Now when I drive short distances in the cold (northern wi) it does not happen nearly as much, now longer distance with the heat blowing the whole way it happens regularly, I also notice if I take the key out of the ignition its very warm almost hot.. the last straw was this last weekend, I was making our yearly spring cabin run, traveling at around 35/40 mph on a gravel road my entire truck went dead, key was in the on position and I lost all power to everything, not wanting to lose control, I grabbed for the key ( again going back to the recall) and I literally turned the key from the run position to off to the run position and it restarted (doing this as I'm rolling down a gravel road with no power brakes or steering at 35/40mph). Also noted that it was not just me in the vehicle! I've read, watched videos on this, talked to other owner and now have been dealing with this first hand. After it turning off completely, this is way more dangerous than Chrysler is admitting. My next step is putting a new "bad" switch in, if this one made it 80,000 miles why can't the next, however sadly it will be on my dime. Hope this helps and if you have this issue be very careful!

- Marinette, WI, USA

Feb 012012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Starting in Feb. 2012 the engine would quit running while driving. When the engine would quit we loose steering and braking. The vehicle starts right back up and is drivable. We would experience this problem once every 2-3 months. The frequency in which this is happening has increased with the latest incident occurring 3-18-15 while exiting the interstate and nearly avoiding a crash off the roadway. We received a recall notice from Jeep (P41) but everytime we call they tell us the parts are not available. I have tried several times to contact Jeep but am left on hold for over 40 minutes. Can you please help us with this problem.

- Gretna, LA, USA

Sep 092014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I received a recall Sept 2014. It has been going on 7 months and I can not get any information on the status of my recall of P41. I called the Chrysler group recall center and that is a waste of time. The poorest service for a telephone answering service. I was on the phone 30 minutes and finally I hung up. I had to sit and listen to terrible noise (not music) and an announcement that all our agents are busy. I have worked all my life in business and I have never seen such poor service as I have received on this recall. My key switch is loose (because it has been hit so many times). At times I turn the key to start my car and it does not connect with the starter. I would like for someone who is responsible enough and cares about public service to call me and give me a date when my key switch will be replaced. I hope there is someone in the Agency that has enough job interest to give this to a responsible employee.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 162015

Grand Cherokee

Driving 30 mph, after about 3 miles of driving my check engine light came on. Followed the tips to check the code and it says "transmission over temp". everything seems to be ok at the time but I'm sure this will eventually cause a problem. A couple months ago the whole instrument cluster cut off and on 2 times in a couple minute window but that seems to have been an isolated incident since it hasn't happened since.

- Watervliet, MI, USA

Jan 152015

Grand Cherokee

I am now going on my 3rd incident with this problem! I lose all lights and gauges on my dashboard. Heat turns off and most importantly, my ignition turned off on me and made a grinding sound and I had to pull over. Each time I had cars behind me and thankfully neither I nor the car behind me were injured. All the lights flicker and gauges go all the way down to where I can not tell how fast I am going. My most recent incident was on February 28th, 2015, I was at a stop sign and when it was my turn to go my lights flickered for a second then all gauges went down and the grinding started, it was as if I was trying to drive on neutral, so I then moved to the side because I had a car behind me and the car stopped. I shut it off completely and waited a few minutes before turning it back on. I drive on the expressway 60 miles a day to and from work, I am scared of causing an accident. I took my car previously to auto zone to see why my engine light is on and they checked it and gave me a code of U1411. I looked it up and it has to do with the ignition recall that was sent to me about my car. I have also called a few dealers to see if the part is in and was told no. I have a 5 year old daughter and I'm scared to have her in the car with me because of this! I need for something to be done asap!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 132009

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I have had issues with my vehicle shutting off since 2010. I googled issue and it seemed others had same issue and offered other suggestions other than ignition. I received a recall notice stating that ignition switch was defective and recalled back in latter part of 2014. I contacted mckinney Texas dealership who said they did not have replacement part and was not aware of when they would receive them. I emailed Chrysler in November with issue, I received an email stating they would put me on a list to be contacted when part is available.I emailed them again in February with the reply from them of a simple we do not have an estimated time of arrival on parts. I did express that my vehicle does have the issue and I am concerned. I do not want to be involved in an accident due to a faulty part and personally feel that if you are really concerned about my safety either fix my vehicle or give me a vehicle that is safe. This is why I am contacting you now because I sincerely believe something needs to be done. Thank you for your time.

- Plano, TX, USA

Feb 222015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

This complaint is part of an ongoing recall (P41). We have not had an incident with the vehicle. However, I received a recall notice in August about the ignition issue. It is now 6 months later and Chrysler still has no information about when the dealerships will have the part available to correct the problem. This is unacceptable. Its my opinion that the recall notice was sent to satisfy lawyers in case someone is killed while driving this vehicle, as in, "we sent a recall notice to make you aware of the problem". how long does Chrysler have to address this issue before the government gets involved?

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Sep 052014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to shift gears and the engine rpms increased. The vehicle was restarted, but the failure persisted. The contact stated that there was a manufacturer's recall related to the failure but the part was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The recall number was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- South Dennis, MA, USA

Oct 172012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving on a highway, I noticed my car slowed down and even after applying the gas pedal, it didn't help. After pressing the brakes and pushing the gas pedal again, then it started accelerating. The engine light would blink and lately it stays on. The check engine light stays on and off but once I noticed that when I started the car again, the check engine light was off but I lost one front headlight. I was told by the dealership that I needed to replace a spark plug which cost me almost $300. Now the check engine light is on again and I suspect as other owners have shared it in the forum that it's the ignition switch that's faulty. I just wish NHTSA would do something about this asap. The letter came the mail stating there is a recall on my car but nothing is being done to correct the problem. Are you waiting for severe accidents to happen before you really force Jeep to correct this issue"?? do people have to lose their lives before you act on this problem"

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

Feb 062015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving on the highway when my car engine suddenly stopped and all the sensor lights came on the dash board I attempted to move to the side of the highway the steering wheel would not move - suddenly the engine started again.

- Brentwood , MO, USA

Jan 162015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 47 mph, the engine stalled and contact crashed into a ditch in order to avoid hitting someone. In addition, the traction control, the ABS and the air bag warning lights illuminated. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) and believed the failure was related to the recall. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 77,973.

- Mount Vernon, NY, USA

Sep 152006

Grand Cherokee

The first incident happened just weeks after I purchased my Grand Cherokee. I was on a two lane highway going 75 mph in the left lane.the highway did not have a shoulder to pull over on. There was a tractor trailer in front of me, behind me and to my right. My car suddenly started decreasing in speed rapidly, my steering wheel locked up and it was as if my car had been turned off. I had no where to go as it was sandwiched in between semis all going at a high rate of speed. I turned on my hazards until I was completely stopped in the middle of the highway. I put my car in park, put the key into the off position and restarted it.I drove straight to the tulsa, ok Jeep dealership. To say I was shaken up is an understatement. They ran tests on it. Came back to me and told me the car checked out perfectly fine and either my knee hit the ignition or my keys were too heavy. My keys only had my car key, house key and my key fob on it and I knew my knee had not hit the ignition. I was scared to drive my car from then on. The incidents continued to happen over and core again.sometimes at a high rate of speed, but also lots of times at a slow rate of speed under 25mph or while going from a stop to start (like at a stop light or while trying to turn). I continued to take my car in to the Jeep dealership the entire time it was under warranty. I received the exact same answer every single time. They treated me like I was making the incidents up. The incidents started happening more frequently and after my second child was born we were finally in a position to purchase another vehicle. My Jeep has been sitting in my driveway for over a year. We are unable to sell it for anything close to what kbb says its worth. And we also feel like we can't sell it consciously knowing it could kill someone.these cars are a death trap and because of financial situations families are forced to keep.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Nov 052014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. On a different occasion, the vehicle jerked violently after accelerating. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic where it was diagnosed that the camshaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Ganseboort, NY, USA

May 072014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted and was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). However, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- High Point, NC, USA

Nov 152014

Grand Cherokee

All warning lights came on and gauges shut down while driving on the highway. After getting off the highway, and it did it again then my vehicle completely shut down. I then restarted my car and the check engine light stayed on. I have filed a complaint in 2013 with your department and with Chrysler. I again talked to Chrysler today and they are telling me there's noting they can do to fix it at this time, because they don't have the parts available. I'm afraid that this can lead to a bigger problem if it shuts down while on the highway. What can I do to get this resolved?

- Biddeford, ME, USA

Dec 012013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Started December 2013. When cold outside, Jeep won't downshift. Going about 40mph & Jeep stays at 3,000rpm's (or higher). When at stop sign/red light & I try to go it revs to 3000rpm's but only goes about 10mph. When it does finally reach 30mph-40mph it won't down shift. I have almost been rear ended several times. Taken to independent mechanic last year & put $700 into it. Was fine all spring & summer but yesterday was the first day the temps dropped into the 30's & it has started all over again. I cannot afford to go through this all winter again & cannot afford to keep dumping money into this Jeep.

- Catlettsburg, KY, USA

Sep 132014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the engine stalled. The problem recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician was unable to diagnose a failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 156,000.

- Vallejo, CA, USA