2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jan 032011

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Jeep Grand Cherokee randomly lost engine power, essentially shutting the car down. This happened at least ten times over the span of a few years. Each visit the dealer to get service was worthless as they could not find anything wrong or a fix.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 052014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I was driving home from work at night and my vehicle died on the railroad tracks crossing just at that moment there was a train approaching and I freaked out but was able to get the vehicle restarted. There continued to be issues with the vehicle shutting down but as I need to go to work I have no choice but to keep driving it.

- Newton, KS, USA

Aug 082012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at an unknown speed, the check engine indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The dealer was unable to locate the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Deigo , CA, USA

Jul 212014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). However, the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 11/06/14 the consumer stated all the indicator lights went off while driving and continued to go and off. The vehicle would not accelerate but, after a few minutes the vehicle would jump into gear. It was determined that the prndl bez was faulty and needed to be replaced. The failure recurred. Updated 7/27/2015 the consumer stated a year later, she experienced the same issue as before. The dealer replaced the same part. The consumer continued to experience problems after the ignition was replaced. Power steering fluid was leaking. The dealer replaced a connector. Updated 12/30/15

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Sep 132011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I initially purchased this Jeep at 45,000 miles. It now has 98,000 miles. This issue has now happened at least 5 times in this time span. The first few times I thought it may be just a coincidence but now it is starting to scare me that there could be an issue. Because it can not be replicated at the mechanic, S no one can pinpoint what the problem could be. The Jeep will just die spontaneously. There is no warning that it is coming. Luckily I have always been going slow through a parking lot with no other cars in my way. I am able to control the car to a stop and then restart it. This past week I became more nervous however as it happened while I was making a left turn from a major street on to a residential street. I was able to control the car to the side of the residential road while turning however, if there had been cars on the street I was making the left too or I had not given more time for the cars coming at me during the turn this could have equaled a major accident. I am seeing through my research that I am not the only one experiencing this.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Apr 182012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

A year and a half ago I was on my way back home from a half an hour drive from town when I decided to stop at my parents house to get a drink. I wasn't inside for less then ten minutes, when I went to leave my Jeep would not start at all. After a half hour later looking everything over I did notice the fuel pump fuse was melted and blown. I was asked bye american Chevrolet dealership if I had something plugged into my cigarette lighter that could of blown it. I've been a mechanic for 11 years now and I've never known to see the fuel pump fuse ran to other components meaning interior outlets. Now a half year later I have been having problems starting my Jeep at times and having no power to the motor at all. I want to get rid of this Jeep. Now I had a recall on the neutral safety switch and just today I get another recall for the ignition switch. I keep having axel popping sounds out of the front passenger side and I'm fed up with this Jeep.

- Tilton, IL, USA

Jan 142014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving dashboard lights will all come on similar to what happens when you start the car. Other electronic components (radio, odometer) stop but engine continues to run. Can steer and brake but difficult. No error messages received. This has continued to happen with no warning over the past 9 months. Multiple mechanics have looked at the car but cannot identify a problem. It seems that many people have complained about similar problems.

- Auburn, GA, USA

Mar 012013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I lose all lights, instruments, gauges on the dashboard. Car still runs but I have no odometer, lights, air conditioning. I usually pull off the road and turn off the engine. Once I restart it, it usually doesn't happen for awhile. The check engine light would come on for a day or two and then clear out. I've had it checked before and the codes come up as "communication error" but no one has been able to identify the exact error. Has occurred intermittently since 2011 but has now reached the stage where the car won't start.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 312014

Grand Cherokee

While in a line of cars approaching a stop sign I reached my turn at the sign. When I stopped the engine just died and all electrical components worked. After shifting into park and turning the key the engine started again. As with others I do not have anything attached to my key and also my knees are not able to hit the key. The road leading to the stop sign is somewhat rough and it is possible I hit the key with my hand.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Sep 122013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled and the esp, ABS, check engine, and traction control indicators illuminated on the instrument panel intermittently. The failure occurred on three different occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- North Wells, PA, USA

Jul 242014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximate 78 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact also stated that while attempting to coast over to the emergency lane, the brakes hesitated when depressed. The vehicle was shifted into park and vehicle was restarted. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 77,448.

- Chicago Ridge, IL, USA

Feb 212013

Grand Cherokee

I bought the Jeep in Feb. 2013 and shortly thereafter, while driving on the interstate, the car just shut itself off and everything went dead. This has happened about 2 dozen times since, sometimes going fast and sometimes going slow or pulling into an intersection. There doesn't seem to be a factor that causes it to happen and the mechanic cannot find anything wrong but it is very dangerous.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jun 172009

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

On at least 5 separate occasions since about 2009, my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee has suddenly and lost power and cut off while driving at approximately 20-40 miles per hour. There is no reason that I can confirm causes this and I'm not able to duplicate the defect. I've reported it to pearson (dealer) and they indicated they can't help with an issue that can't be demonstrated or duplicated. This is extremely dangerous to lose all power, even at lower speeds. This issue should be thoroughly investigated to find the root cause. I can confirm that it definitely occurs. In addition, it's reported that starting a Jeep Grand Cherokee may result in sudden, uncontrolled acceleration or movement forward, even when in park. Car pool auto wash pushes every Jeep product out of the wash tunnel by hand to avoid starting the vehicle for this reason they explained. While sudden acceleration has never occurred to me, there appears to be enough evidence this may warrant further investigation.

- Henrico, VA, USA

May 132014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While turning right into a parking lot at low speed, my knee brushed the key chain/key and ignition turned off while still in drive. Has happened once more in the last month in a similar circumstance, both luckily at low speed in empty parking lots. Had to shift to park and restart engine to regain power/control.

- Bend, OR, USA

Dec 102013

Grand Cherokee

I have seen several reports of this so figured I would send a copy of this to you as well engine developed a strong miss and lack of power due to running on 7 cylinders. Dealer determined that there were burnt valves plus significant sludging of the oil passages. Dealer also suspected a crack in the head or block, allowing contamination of oil and coolant. Considering the vehicle has run fine and been maintained properly over the last 14 months there is a chance the cracking may have been a defect that took until now to cause enough damage to become a problem.

- Mattituck, NY, USA

Mar 222013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls when driving at slow speeds engine shuts off completely, dealerships have mo fix for this issue.

- Kearny, NJ, USA

Nov 202013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Car has on 2 separate occasions jumped from drive into neutral. Contacted Chrysler as they have a recall on Jeep Grand Cherokee for this issue. However, they say that this vehicle wasn't included in recall as it was not manufactured at the same plant where the other vehicles were that mandated the recall.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 152013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

My pregnant wife has had this issue before with the car and we took it to the dealership without anyone being able to fix it. While driving between 15-60 mph the car completely shuts down. No power steering, brakes, or electrical. You have to throw it in neutral and start it back up. This has to be an electrical issue as other quirky things have been happening as well such as the headlights will flicker on and off and the volume and stations selectors on the steerwheel often do not work properly. This is an issue that Jeep needs to identify and fix. Very scary to be going 50-60 mph and lose control of your car going down the highway. Over the past two days this has happened three times. I have done research online as well and there are plenty of other Jeep owners that have this same issue. Jeep needs to have a recall for this issue. I am shocked that this has not happened yet.

- Rocky Point, NC, USA

Oct 122013

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle stalls when coming to a stop occasionally. It is an automatic. Put in park starts right up. 4.7 engine.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Apr 172012

Grand Cherokee

My 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee lardeo has all the same issues as listed by every other Jeep owner. The engine randomly shuts off while driving down the road, the dash board and headlights flicker on and off constantly. Sometimes we start sometimes we dont. When pulling out into traffic, maybe it will go, maybe it wont. I have lost my brakes on several occasions as well. Now the Jeep sits in my driveway as it wont start at all, and of coarse nobody can tell me what is wrong with it as usual ! nothing like paying for a dead horse ! I have contacted the Chrysler corporation only to be told these are not "safety" issues. Good lord what does it take to get a decent vehicle that is safe and reliable ? I guess that would be not buying anything Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep in the future is the route I will take ! I only hope when one of these ticking bombs fail, my family and friends arent on the road that day !

- Athens , PA, USA