2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 142012

Grand Cherokee

While traveling at highway speeds (55mph), engaged cruise control and the vehicle accelerated up to 85 mph. Had to hit brake to disengage cruise control. Tried to use it again and the vehicle again went to 85. After 4 or 5 attempts, the cruise control stopped working completely and still does not work to date.

- Grayson, KY, USA

Oct 032012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving my vehicle suddenly shifted gears and coasted as if it were in neutral while rpms shot up to 3,000. It then suddenly lunged forward and picked up speed. The check engine light came on. After a day or so, the light would go off. Within the time frame of approx 3 weeks, this had occurred at least 3 times. It was very scary to have it change gears and not be able to maintain speed and suddenly speed up again while traveling with vehicles in front of me and behind me. You essentially have no control of the vehicle in that moment, nor do you have any warning that it is about to happen. Drivers around you also have no warning that your car will suddenly slow down or lunge forward. Took it to the dealership to be looked at. Was told that it was my electronic shifter module and had it replaced. Although I have a power train warranty, it was not covered and had to pay over $900. Did research online and came across numerous others with the same issue. I feel that if this critical part fails on so many vehicles it should be made a recall. When this part fails, it has the potential to cause many accidents.

- Cliffside Park, NJ, USA

Dec 022011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My vehicle started originally slowing down like it slipped out of gear. I was told I needed a new transmission but when I replaced it I still had the same exact problem with the vehicle staying in limp mode and check engine light on, RPM running high and not going into overdrive. The transmission is not shifting correctly after spending over $1500 on it. From my research I have arrived at the esm to be causing the problem with the vehicle not indicating what gear for the transmission to shift into. I have called the Jeep corporate office and even though they know that the transmission needed a repair when I first bought it with 17,000 miles on it they still did not feel they were responsible for my transmission problems. To me that are just avoiding the fact that this is a manufacture issue with either poor design, construction or quality of parts. I had a 1994 amigo that I put 280,000 miles on and I never once had any type of transmission issue. This is a 2006 vehicle this is the poorest experience I have ever had with a vehicle.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Jan 172012

Grand Cherokee

On multiple occasions, the instrument panel has stopped working completely. The lighting in both in the interior of the vehicle as well as the exterior flashes and sometimes goes out completely. Multiple dealers have not been able to find a problem. It has caused near crashes before with the distraction of driving at night. The cruise control also accelerates without any warning while this occurs and the cruise must be reset by turning the car off and back on. This too has caused some near crashes as the car accelerates due to the faulty cruise control.

- Jackson, TN, USA

May 022011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle would stall sporadically and without warning. The dealer diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced and they also updated the software, but the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

May 182011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the contact shifted into reverse, the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated without warning. The brake was applied with force and the vehicle came to a stop. The failure recurred four times. In addition, the instrument panel failed to illuminate sporadically. The malfunction recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to duplicate the failures. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 12/12/11 updated 01/03/12

- Carneys Point, NJ, USA

Oct 132011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Was going down interstate 40 coming from little rock ark. Jeep started to slow down pressed on gas would not speed up. There are so many eighteen wheelers on that interstate. I managed to pull over. Started to shifted from park to drive and drive kicked in. I had two children in the Jeep with me.I can not even think about what might have happen if one of those trucks had hit me in the rear. This is a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I have looked on line for recall there was a recall on the 2008 models. The transmission control module. I have been told that is the problem with my Jeep.when I made in home this happened again coming down my street in halls tn. Got to my drive stop pulling. Put in park back to drive made in driveway. I have seen on line this is a problem with lots of Jeep not only mine. Please fix this problem before someone get hurt or dies. What does it take!!!!!!! help!

- Halls , TN, USA

Jun 012011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure would only occur when the vehicle was at standstill. The throttle and engine control module was repaired two months prior to the most recent failure. The contact had not taken the vehicle to the dealer for further inspection or repairs. The failure mileage was 54,099 and the current mileage was 55,000.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Jul 012010

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 65 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed to the floorboard abnormally. The vehicle was pulled over momentarily before the accelerator pedal began functioning as normal. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on numerous occasions where the vehicle was repaired yet the failure continued to recur intermittently. The contact also stated that the failure only recurred during warm weather. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 83,000.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 152009

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 60 mph with the cruise control set the vehicle accelerated from 60 to 80 mph. He stated that the rmps increased from 2,000 to 4,000. He engaged the brakes and the cruise control disconnected. The failure occurred twice. The contact stated that he took the vehicle to the dealer for the first failure and they replaced the computer modular twice. He stated that the computer modular was changed twice two years ago and the failure happened again on February 13, 2011. The vehicle had not been taken to the dealer for the last failure. The contact stated that the failure could be duplicated when the cruise control was set and it caused the failure to occur. The failure mileage was 62,000 and the current mileage was 102,858. Updated 03/24/11 updated 1/4/11

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Jul 102010

Grand Cherokee

I was driving my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and set cruise control. As soon as I did the accelerator hit the floor and I couldn't get it to stop unless I hit the cancel button. Now the cruise control doesn't work. Its shorting out all my other controllers and killing my battery.

- Pikeville, NC, USA

Dec 032010

Grand Cherokee

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I was stopped at a stop light, with my foot firmly on the brake. I am sure of this detail because if the brake is not firmly pressed, my car shakes as though it will turn off. So as I am sitting at the light, my car accelerated and moved about 6 inches. Luckily I was not too close to the car in front of me, but any closer and I would have rear ended the car. I called my local Jeep/Dodge dealer to ask of there were any recalls or any thing I should know regarding my vehicle and this situation. The employee, completely rude, asked me if I was talking to someone in my car and moved my foot of the pedal. He basically told me I was distracted, and since it was" 3 P.M. on a Friday afternoon", I should wait and see if it happens again, then I could bring it in if I wanted to. I have 4 small children and there are millions of innocent children on the road everyday. You would think that this would be a more serious warning...especially given the situation with Toyota.

- Santee, CA, USA

Jul 272010

Grand Cherokee

My daughter was home this weekend and said her cruise control was messed up. We took a ride and when she 'set' the cruise the accelerator went to the floor and stayed there till we increased speed by at least 15 mph. I thought maybe she was doing something wrong in setting the system. Not the case. The cruise is no longer usable and down right dangerous. It sounds like the making of another Toyota acceleration problem. I would hope that enough people bring the problem to the forefront so something gets done to repair this problem.

- High Point, NC, USA

Jul 022010

Grand Cherokee

While cruising down the highway with cruise control on, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. Had to hit the brake to disengage. Numerous times since then, when cruise is switched to "on", acceleration happens and I need to hit the brake.

- Lowden, IA, USA

Jun 062010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When cruise control is set, the truck begins to accelerate rapidly, hitting over 4,000 RPM's. decelerate and cancel does not work, I have to use the brake pedal to disengage the cruise control. When this happened once in the past, I thought it was something I did or a fluke. Then it happened a second time and beginning 6/6/10, I discovered it now does it every time and I am no longer using the cruise control.

- Middletown, NY, USA

May 052010

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While attempting to shift into drive gear, the vehicle suddenly accelerated, causing the contact to crash into a tree. The contact injured his back and a police report was filed. The vehicle had not been inspected or diagnosed at the time of the complaint. The current and failure mileages were approximately 20,000.

- Holidaysburg, PA, USA

Jul 192009

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact was driving approximately 50 mph. The vehicle accelerated without warning. The brake pedal was engaged; the vehicle proceeded to a complete stop. The vehicle was able to continue functioning normally. The failure mileage was 50,000. The current mileage was 59,000.

- Chulavista, CA, USA

Apr 152008

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Stopped for gas. Started engine and there was great and unexpected acceleration. Had to maneuver to reach the exit area---kept my foot on the brake and went forward with the engine straining, put it in reverse, same thing. Couldn't 'de-accelerate'. moved forward a bit and shut the engine off. If I was not quickly in control of that vehicle there would have been fatalities wrote Chrysler and received a response that there were no recalls on this model. Took it to the local dealer service department. He put it 'on the computer' and by the end of the day found the problem. He discovered a service bulletin dated May 13, 2006 which applied to Grand Cherokee equipped with the 5.7L engine. It described the problem and the solution. This warranted a recall. Why couldn't the owners (lessees in this case) be notified to bring their vehicle in to correct a defective part of the vehicle computer (P2112). What a simple solution for a dangerous defect!

- Ewing, NJ, USA

Apr 042008

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While decelerating to 30 mph in the rain, the contact approached a stop and the vehicle suddenly surged forward full throttle. He depressed the brake pedal with maximum pressure, but the vehicle would not stop. The contact merged into an intersection, barely missed another vehicle, and swerved into a driveway. He placed the vehicle into neutral and successfully applied the brakes. The dealer stated that they had never heard of this failure, but currently are keeping the vehicle for a diagnosis. After online research, the contact discovered numerous consumer complaints on unintended acceleration of his model vehicle. The current mileage was 20,325 and failure mileage was 19,382. Updated 5/30/08 updated 05/30/08

- Concord, MA, USA

Jun 082007

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I was exiting a freeway off ramp and had my foot lightly on the accelerator to keep the momentum up the inclined off ramp when I took my foot off the accelerator and steppe D on the brakes to begin slowing down the car kept accelerating at the same rate of speed, about 30 mph. I was pushing down on the brakes as hard as I could, and I could feel the antilock brakes pumping, and the car was only slowing slightly. I then had to veer over from the right lane to the left lane and then run the car into the curb in order to slow it down and avoid other cars parked at the top of the off ramp. After running the vehicle into the curb the car stopped accelerating and came to a stop several feet later. As a result of the incident, I was left staring over the side of a roughly 100 foot tall off ramp only a few feet from the edge. The rim of the wheel was gouged by the concrete curb, and the side wall of the tire had a deep scuff on it. I took it to an authorized dealer, where they checked the car, which was still on its original warranty. They found no problems with the car, and said that because they could not duplicate the problem they w fix it. They did mention that one of the mechanics had the same problem with his wife's car, the same model as mine, and her car was totaled. In summary, I they manufacturer did nothing to remedy this serious safety issue, and I really have no other recourse but to hope that this serious issue happens again, so that they can possibly replicate it and fix it!

- Simi Valley, CA, USA