2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 272012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Interior dashboard lights have been flashing off and on at least since 10/2012. On a daily basis the dashboard lights have continued to flash on and off again constantly. As of yesterday (10/28/2014) both the exterior headlamps and dashboard lights flashed off and on again in the late evening leaving the entire vehicle completely dark as I attempted to drive.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Jan 222014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

While driving car with lights on the lights flicker and then go out. I turn them off and then back on again. It's very dangerous driving at night when the lights go out. This seems to be a problem on a large number of Jeep's. I feel Jeep needs to determine what the cause and solution is for this dangerous condition.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Sep 242009

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

When driving there are multiple times the internal and external lights will flash or go off entirely for time. Sometimes turning off and on will correct the issue however they will continue to flash. When they go entirely off this could post a safety hazard as there are no external lights on the vehicle. No one has been able to determine the exact cause of the issue.

- Oconto Falls, WI, USA

May 072014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving at 70 mph at night, the headlamps and interior light began flashing. Then completely shut off. This happened 4 times in less than 25 mile. I had been driving for 3 hours that night. The next day it happened again as soon as I turned lights on at dusk. In less than 24 hours the lights flashed/turned off 7 times.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Feb 022014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving on California state route 20 eastbound in the curves past the omega rest stop, at 6:00 am, when all of the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The instrument lights went out, and several seconds later illuminated again, they when out again and illuminated a third time, at which point the headlights on the car shut off. It was a very frightening event. I was able to flick the steering wheel headlight control and the lights came back on. I immediately took my foot off of the gas when the headlights went out, because I was in a curve section of a mountain highway. Luckily, a pull out was a quarter mile ahead and I was able to get off the road. I called aaa roadside assistance and they dispatched a tow truck to tow the car back to grass valley/Nevada city. Two warning lights remained on the dash until the lights were turned off and the car towed. A light on the upper right with a car and a swag and a light in middle. ABS ? at the local repair shop, they found no codes to indicate any type of failure. The car has been taken since to magnussen's Jeep dealer in auburn, California and they have been unable to detect any problem. A similar event happened to my husband in 2008 approximately and the repair facility was unable to determine a problem. I have worked in truckee, ca and have commuted to work since 2001 on this road in several vehicles( (including two other Jeep). I have never had a similar incident and I believe it is a serious safety issue. When the repair facility was unable to detect a problem, my husband and I began looking into the problem on this website and others and believe that our incident is not unique and reflects a substantial defect with this vehicle. Additionally, our compound low gear has not worked since the last recall was performed at the Jeep dealer in roseville,

- Nevada City, CA, USA

Jul 122013

Grand Cherokee

Was driving at 65mph and all of the sudden the dash lights up like a christmas tree. The fan for the A/C turned off. This kept happening for 10 miles and the traction control light stayed on after this happened. I had a friend scan the computer without turning the vehicle off. Found code B2100. This code is for the ignition switch malfunctioning. I did an internet check and a lot of people are having this same problem. Some changed the ignition switch and problem solved and others have not changed it. This sure sounds like a safety issue to me. I have read where the engine even shuts off.

- Childs, PA, USA

Mar 082013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

For the last 3 months, both the interior and exterior lights will flicker and then go off. There is no warning before it happens. Many times you can turn the light switch off and then on again and everything will be fine. But lately, this does not solve the problem. I have taken it to a Jeep dealer to fix but since they can not duplicate the problem, they don't know what to fix. This is a huge safety issue as it has happened at night on a road with no street lights. It also makes the car unable to be seen by others..... an accident waiting to happen.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Jun 172013

Grand Cherokee

My 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee has now started sporadic headlight service. For the last few years I have noticed the dashboard lights dimming for no apparent reason but now the headlights are also cutting in and out. It seems there is no real solution from what I have been reading online and Chrysler needs to address this since it is very unnerving to not have headlights while driving at night.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 112013

Grand Cherokee

The headlights and dashlights started to flicker, I would turn off the lights and the back on but the problem would soon reoccur. I took it to my mechanic who couldn't duplicate the problem. He looked up the problem in a website to diagnosis the problem. He found that 60% of the time it was the headlight switch which was the problem. We replaced the headlight switch and arm assembly to this day some 5 months later the problem has been resolved.this problem seems to get worse over time without the repair.

- Red Rock, AZ, USA

May 012012

Grand Cherokee

I do not remember exactly when the problem started, but while driving at night, my lights started flickering and then went out all together. I thought it happened when I turned my signal lights on, but I am not sure if this is the cause. I took it to the Jeep dealer and they could not find anything. Every now and then, I have the same issue, but nothing can be found. This is very dangerous for me and it terrifies me that someone will think I am flashing them and become angry. There is obviously something wrong if there are so many with this type of problem, but nothing is being done about it. I purchased as a one person lease vehicle from a dealership and within a year had to have my transmission replaced. I could not enter transmission in the parts section.

- Lemon Grove, CA, USA

Apr 262013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving in normal dry conditions this past evening unexpectedly all my interior gauges and dash electronics started flickering on and off to include the radio, hazard lights and everything inside. At the same time I realized I was also loosing my exterior headlights and also brake control because my car was essentially running but with no electronics. It started making a weird grinding pulsating noise that would accompany the flickering lights. This forced me to exit the road at a gas station. It then stopped and I began driving again only to have it resume shortly. Thankfully I was close to my destination and was able to shut the vehicle off for the night. This has happened occasionally in the past couple months during the day but this is my first night experience. I thought it was just a glitch but it is definitely getting worse and has become regular. The next morning I was able start and drive my vehicle to work and it repeated this behavior a couple more times. At days end I went to leave and now my Jeep won't start and hasn't for two days. All the electronics come on but when I turn the key it just clicks. I also had this problem in the past but when my mechanic looked at it he was unable to duplicate the problem.

- Mason, OH, USA

Mar 182013

Grand Cherokee

While driving under completely normal conditions, several severe problems occurred simultaneously; interior dash lights started flashing on and off, vehicle started sputtering and became unresponsive when trying to accelerate, grinding sound from left front wheel accompanied the other problems further adding to the vehicle suddenly slowing down while in motion. All warning lights were lit up when flashing stopped, but then a couple of minutes later while I was trying to limp into a parking lot to get the car off the road the dash lights started wildly flashing on and off again and the car continued to be virtually unresponsive when stepping on the gas. After shutting the car off and restarting it, the esp/bas lights remained on for a couple of days, but eventually went out, but the check engine light remained on. The problem happened again on 3/29/2013 while I was driving under normal conditions. It was sudden, unexpected and scary. With the right set of circumstances, it could be devastating and extremely dangerous. Once I started doing a bit of online research, I found many Jeep forums packed full of owners with the identical model and year of my Grand Cherokee that are having the same grave issues. It is clearly very widespread for this particular vehicle, and then I found the arfc page and I was astounded at the numbers of owners of my year and model who have also had hair raising incidents who have described the exact set of problems that I have had. Chrysler cannot ignore the massive numbers of people who are reporting the same defect issues. It is well beyond the realms of coincidence, and it is too dangerous to ignore. There needs to be a national factory recall asap before somebody gets killed.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 232013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving 55mph suddenly every dashboard warnings light, ignition, radio, headlights, etc. Turns on and off. Engine stalls for a couple of seconds each time this occurs. The same thing happened on a number of occasions. Dealer says they never heard of this problem and could not duplicate this problem when the car was in the shop. The car was at the dealer's shop on two occasions. The first time they said they couldn't find the problem and the second time they did something to the computer. The car is doing the same thing and is going back to the dealer on 2/18/13.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Nov 232012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I purchased vehicle 2 weeks ago, November 115, 2012. Over a period of several days, all lights on. Instrument cluster light-up, gauges go crazy, loose power and ability to operate vehicle. Very dangerous situation since I was on highway at highway speeds. Also, headlights begin to flicker off-on at a high rate causing a dangerous situation. I have researched online and found numerous similar complaints for Jeep. I went to my local Jeep dealer help. Called Jeep hotline, 800-992-1997, no help, claim they havent had a problem. This is a safety issue and Jeep should stand behind their product.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Jun 082012

Grand Cherokee

Since the day I purchased my certified used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the interior instrument panel and dash lights have malfunctioned. The brightness flickers from low to very high, which is very distracting at night, some of the panel controls have since completely stopped working, and several times, all of the warning lights on the dash (seatbelt, airbag, check engine, etc) flash on and off while driving. This has happened at numerous speeds and times of the day. I video taped several incidents on my cell phone to prove it. Took it to the dealer and they said they can't duplicate the problem and the video means nothing. It happens more often, or is more noticeable, at night. They checked it in the daytime. Made no offer of any solution.

- Tamaqua, PA, USA

Jan 172012

Grand Cherokee

On multiple occasions, the instrument panel has stopped working completely. The lighting in both in the interior of the vehicle as well as the exterior flashes and sometimes goes out completely. Multiple dealers have not been able to find a problem. It has caused near crashes before with the distraction of driving at night. The cruise control also accelerates without any warning while this occurs and the cruise must be reset by turning the car off and back on. This too has caused some near crashes as the car accelerates due to the faulty cruise control.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Oct 012010

Grand Cherokee

Headlights and dash lights flicker when on. They will usually remain on for approximately 5 minutes before they start to flicker. At that point the headlights and dashlights will flash off and on rapidly causing oncoming traffic and the traffic in front of my vehicle to panic. The flicker occurs even when the vehicle is turned off an the light control switch is left in the on position. I have not noticed the flicker occurring while the vehicle is turned off and the light control switch is in the off position. This condition could potentially be very dangerous depending upon the timing of the occurrence. I have conducted internet research on this topic and found that many 2005-2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee owners have had this very same problem. Even more 2005 - 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee owners have had electronic problems in general. My particular headlight problem has been attributed to an electronical control module which would cost close to $1,000 to repair or replace. I believe this to be faulty workmanship or the use of a faulty product by Jeep. The failure of an electronic control model is not the result of wear and tear. Therefore, I believe this should either be admitted and replaced by Jeep or made a safety recall. I appreciate your time and consideration.

- Savannah, GA, USA

May 182011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the contact shifted into reverse, the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated without warning. The brake was applied with force and the vehicle came to a stop. The failure recurred four times. In addition, the instrument panel failed to illuminate sporadically. The malfunction recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to duplicate the failures. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 12/12/11 updated 01/03/12

- Carneys Point, NJ, USA

Sep 162011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the interior and exterior lighting illuminated on and off intermittently before shutting off completely. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the dealer stated that the spark plugs needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 81,000 and the current mileage was 81,075.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Aug 082011

Grand Cherokee

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee headlight will flicker on and off. This also includes the dash lights. I have researched this problem online, and have found that many others have had the same problem with this year and model. Many of these people have contacted Jeep, which basically ignored their complaints. Something should be done about this as it is a safety issue, and the dealerships and company are refusing to deal with it correctly.

- Metropolis, IL, USA