2.4

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 152010

Grand Cherokee

Interior door handles sheared off. Completely cracked off and disintegrated like there was never a door handle installed. It first started with the right rear passenger door handle and progressively continued with the left interior door handle, then the front passenger interior door handle. The only interior door handle that is still intact is the front driver's side. I believe this is a major safety concern in the sense that in the event of a crash or evacuation the passengers have no way to evacuate the vehicle unless opened from the outside. This safety hazard has yet to be recognized by Jeep as other owners have complained as well. There are several blogs posted online and it is very expensive to replace. I am driving an unsafe vehicle at this point and wish Jeep would action this safety-related concern as soon as possible.

- Henderson , NV, USA

Sep 252012

Grand Cherokee

When driving my transmission would be stuck in a gear sometimes and other times it would shift to neutral while on city roads and highways. This would happen mostly when accelerating when the automatic transmission had to shift to the next gear. It wouldn't or would go to neutral so I had to shift the transmission back and forth from neutral to drive to catch a gear. I read about a recall back in 2013 but Chrysler said it did not apply to my vehicle so I paid to get the problem fixed. Since Chrysler is currently having recall problems I'm curious to find out if this was something that wasn't reported.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Feb 012015

Grand Cherokee

All four of the interior door handle plastic parts (I believe they are called cups) have broken. This has caused the handles themselves to become loose and unstable. The handle on one of the doors (right rear door) has also now broken, causing that door to be unusable from the inside, which has created a safety issue in case of an emergency or accident. Upon investigating this issue via internet search, I have come to understand that this is an ongoing issue with many Jeep manufactured between 2005-2010. The safety issues are urgent and need to be addressed by Jeep immediately.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jan 012007

Grand Cherokee

I bought a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2009. Shortly after I purchased the vehicle, I experienced engine power loss & power steering loss. I took my Jeep into the dealership to have it looked at, but they could not find a problem at the time. This happened to me multiple times, yet the dealership never found the problem. In 2014, I received a recall notice from Chrysler (recall P41) stating the some Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles may experience this issue. They advised it was a safety issue. Per recall P41, "this increases the risk of a crash and disabling one or more of the vehicle's safety features including the frontal airbags." I was pregnant at the time so I called Chrysler's group recall assistance center at 1-800-853-1403, and was advised they do not have the parts available to fix the problem. I told them I was concerned for my safety and the safety of my unborn child, especially since this issue has happened multiple times to my vehicle already. I called Chrysler back recently and told them it happened again to me, while I had my husband and newborn in the car. I was driving on the parkway & my engine just shut off! I was scared to death! I asked Chrysler for a rental vehicle to use until the parts are available. They said they do not offer that. So I am supposed to keep driving this "death trap?" I do not feel safe driving this Jeep, but don't have the money to buy another car now. Plus, I have a newborn baby to think about. I feel they should offer rental vehicles to people who are experiencing this issue. I told them if this happens to me & I get in an accident, I will be suing them since they knew about this and was unwilling to help me.

- New Cumberland, WV, USA

Feb 072015

Grand Cherokee

Year: 2006 make: Jeep model: Grand Cherokee 4X4 number of open recalls: 1 recall date: September 3, 2014 manufacturer recall number: P41 summary: Some Jeep commander and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles may experience an unintended change in ignition switch position while driving. Safety risk: This may result in loss of engine power, power steering, and braking assist increasing the risk of a crash and disabling one or more of the vehicles safety features including the frontal airbags. Remedy: Chrysler intends to repair vehicles free of charge (parts and labor). However, the part required to provide a permanent remedy for this condition is currently not available. Chrysler is making every effort to provide the part as quickly as possible. As you can see from the recall above, this is serious and puts the driver, who happens to be our daughter, at high risk of a crash. My husband and our daughter took this Jeep too a local dealership today to have them address the recall and repair it, only to be told that Chrysler has not provided the parts yet. This recall was put in place 9 months ago, Chrysler either needs to provide a permanent remedy right now or buy all of the affected vehicles back from the owners at blue book price/value.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Jan 062014

Grand Cherokee

When driving all the dashboard warning light come on (flicker) and interior dome lights go dark. The heater dies and the gauges do not work (shows 0 RPM and gas tank as empty). I am unable to even read my speed at what I am driving. It happens numerous times there is no certain times when it happens, I can be at a complete stop, in park, or driving at any rate of speed. The warning light flash anywhere for 1 to 30 times. I can still drive but have no power for anywhere from a sec to 5 seconds. This has been going on for over a year. I went at the longest of 3 months with out it occurring. Now in the past month it is doing it every time I start the car and continues until I reach my destination. I have taken it to shop to be diagnosed and they say it is due to the ignition switch recall. Then they proceed to tell that the parts with Chrysler are not available and they are unable to fix this problem. I am very upset, I am very scared to drive my vehicle. I feel this is a safety issue and should be fixed asap. I hope this does not cause an accident when I or anyone else could possibly be harmed.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

May 152015

Grand Cherokee

All the lights in the interior speedometer panel, all warning lights ect... flash and the air conditioning goes off.

- Bluffdale, UT, USA

Oct 012013

Grand Cherokee

Car will pop out of gear and into neutral while driving at speeds under 60mph. Car has been owned by me since it had 9000 miles and has been serviced regularly and is a low mileage car. Desintegrating door panels, issues with transmission that could cause loss of control in traffic, what next. Chrysler maintains that there are no recalls for these known safety hazards. Crazy. Updated 2/25/2015

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Mar 282014

Grand Cherokee

On February 19, 2014 I took my Jeep in to have the N23 recall (reprogram final drive control module) and at this time I had 108,960 miles on my Jeep. I reviewed the Jeep forums that I belong to and found that many are having problems with 4lo with it no longer working after the N23 recall. I then checked my Jeep 4lo after reading this and my 4lo is also no longer working after having the recall performed (109,000 miles). I called the dealership who said that I would have to pay to have a diagnostic done with no guarantee that it is related to the N23 recall.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Dec 112013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

There has been no accident. I want to report the failure of a dealer ship to respond to my request to honor a safety recall, I have contacted them several times, the last time 12-10-2013, and have been told they will contact me. I have heard nothing.

- Bolivar, MO, USA

Mar 132011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Broken interior door handles- they are chipping off around the handle causing the handles to fall inside the door and are unable to open the doors. On the drivers door, the plastic supporting the interior door handle has broken leaving the handle unmounted. It is not covered under warranty and they are approximately $400 to $500 a panel and every one of the handles in my vehicle are like this. This is an obvious safety hazard. I contacted Jeep at 1-800-521-9922 and filed a case and they have declined to help me in any way stating it is wear and tear. I have owned may vehicles and never have I ever had a problem with any other of the handles on my vehicles. I have a 1988 Ford truck that the door handles work fine and are not broken. This is an obvious defect on these vehicles and a recall should be done...especially since it is not just one door handle it is all of them. Thanks for your help.

- Youngstown , FL, USA

Dec 222011

Grand Cherokee

Interior door handle drivers side door does not open door. The dealer tells me the whole door panel has to be replaced. Cost is $700 just for the panel. This is a problem that seems to happen to a lot of Jeep owners.

- Gladwin, MI, USA

Apr 012011

Grand Cherokee

Three of the four (the 4th is shattered) door handles in my Jeep are cracked, ready to break anytime. The passenger side one is completely cracked and broken hanging on by a thread. I'm afraid soon I'm going to have to roll down the window just to get out of the Jeep. This is a safety hazard, I can only hope I'm not involved in an accident and that I won't be able to open the door due to this malfunction. I have noticed during my searches that there are hundreds of complaints with this issue, how can it be that there is no recall yet? please hear this outcry, I cannot afford to pay $500-$700 per door to get it fixed. I feel cheated by Jeep/Chrysler they must be held liable for this issue, we the customers have paid a lot of money for our vehicle. Please help!

- Harlingen, TX, USA

Jun 132010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4 bad door handles. Interior doors the plastic frame around the handles is broken on all 4 doors, door handles become flimsy with no support causing a severe safety issue when trying to open a door. In an accident, fire, anytime the door needs opened, there is a possibility for failure when the handle breaks. It had already failed to open once. I am afraid to have my grandchildren ride in my car because if they needed to get out in a hurry, they could be stuck or worst killed. Dealer says no recall and $800 a panel to replace. Ridiculous. There are complaints and blogs all over the net for the same thing. When is someone going to make.

- Ormond Beach , FL, USA

Feb 022009

Grand Cherokee

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited has a paint problem. Consumer states that the dealership misrepresented and unreported information about the problem of etching and peeling paint and repainting of the vehicle. The consumer also discovered extensive rust under the front seats and on the hinges, he believed there was possible moisture problem.

- Torrington, CT, USA