2.4

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 152016

Grand Cherokee

Cause of failure: Interior door handle has stress cracked and is broken. There are no signs of abuse, impact damage or after market modifications. **note that the interior door handle is serviceable only as an interior door panel assembly**correction: Installed replacement interior door handle assembly to correct concern. This problem started with the driver's side interior door handle. The plastic cup behind the door handle cracked and eventually shattered leaving shards behind that cut my hand when I opened the door. The remaining three door handles have all done the same thing. This is a safety issue. Exiting the Jeep Grand Cherokee in an emergency situation with the door handles not working properly would be delayed, or in the case of a child, impossible.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 162016

Grand Cherokee

After havin my ignition lock cyclinder replaced today. Telling me this would fix the issue of my loss of power and lights etc. It has not I alkost ran off the road because I lost all control of power and lights. No poerr steering etc need to fix this issue soon because I am looking in to getting a lawyer I am sick of this

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 082016

Grand Cherokee

My Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2006 has all interior doors' handles braking to the point there are 2 doors already that we can not get out of the car without anyone opening it from the outside. This is a major problem for people with kids and for everyone. It is a safety issue. We are almost getting to the point of not being able to open the door from the inside. The interior door handles are made of some type of plastic that are braking by themselves. We need help immediately.

- Miami Springs, FL, USA

Nov 152014

Grand Cherokee

I was notified Nov 2014 that my ignition switch was defective. I received 3 subsequent notices but could not get the dealership to respond to my requests for service. Finally in Feb 2016 the dealership advised that they had the parts and would do the work. Originally we had 3 working ignition keys. After the recall work was complete we only had 1 usable key. When we went back to the dealership with the other 2 keys they charged $109.95 to program a "manual key". I was stuck with the bill and a second electronic key that still doesn't work. They said I would have to buy another electronic key (one with panic button, door open/ lock and trunk lock). This replacement would run between $200 - $400.

- Bend, OR, USA

May 142016

Grand Cherokee

All 4 of my door handle panels are cracked and broken. The back doors R so bad you can't open them to get out. It's gradually happened overtime. We have only had our Jeep for 1 year and 5 months. It gets worse every time we use it obviously and it's our family vehicle. Hope you can help. This shouldn't happen with a Jeep vehicle. Very disappointed. Hope something can be fixed. Thanks.

- Marion, OH, USA

Jun 072016

Grand Cherokee

I've read sever complaints and noticed that my Jeep is doing the same thing. However, mine has 195000 miles a lot of the others I've read about complain about the exact same issue, I took my Jeep to national Jeep Chrysler and Dodge lot they checked it over and said they don't think it's the tranny it clunks when slowing down to 15 mph and 5 mph they also changing the tranny didn't help it. I just purchased this Jeep last week.

- Tarawa Terrace, NC, USA

Apr 162016

Grand Cherokee

My husband went to exit the vehicl and the passenger door handle broke. We are now not able to open the door from the inside or the outside because of this. Very cheaply made and falling apart prior to completely breaking off. Door is now unusable until I pay a few hundred dollars to have repaired!! this could be extremely dangerous in the event of an accident!! it is only a matter of time before the drivers side does the same as the interior plastics of the actual handle are already completely broken out. The pieces literally crack and fall out! the only fix at the dealer is to replace the entire door panel and a few hundred dollars each. My car is no longer under warranty so now this is an out of pocket expense since Chrysler decided to use cheap and unreliable parts. The door handle piece is replaceable from an auto parts store. They are $140 each plus labor for someone to do the work. This needs to be a recall!! in doing research there are hundreds of people this is happening to!!!

- Jacksonville, FM, USA

Mar 182016

Grand Cherokee

Interior door opening handles breaking/failing: 1 rear door totally inoperable. ***this is a dangerous safety issue if handles break or are inoperable in certain emergency situations, passengers may not be able to exit the vehicle, causing serious injury or death!*** manufacturer charge to replace/repair handles is prohibitively expensive: In my case, the cost of eight (8) monthly car payments! manufacturer safety recall warranted!

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 172016

Grand Cherokee

This is regarding the P-41 recall notice for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I took the vehicle in Feb. 2016 to the dealer to have the recall fixed and I find that the recall work has not been shown as complete on the safecar.gov website once I entered the VIN number after being told the work was completed by the dealer. It states on the savecar.gov website that parts to fix the P-41 recall are not available and seems to have not been available for quite some time. I am wondering how do I know that the dealer really dealt with the problem? they did something because my ignition is not working the same as it was prior to my taking it into the dealer. It is a hard turn of the key, to turn on and off the engine. It is very annoying and I often wonder if I will have trouble getting the key out of the ignition once the vehicle is off because the key acts as if stuck. The dealer tells me this will operate smoother in time. Despite this, I still wonder if the recall was actually fixed according to manufacturer specifications, especially since the work has not been shown as complete on the website and the part has not been available. I especially feel taken advantage of because this was my husband's vehicle and he died in June 2015. The dealer has always maintain this vehicle and there was an extended warranty, but it is no longer active because of the mileage. In addition to regular driving, I use the vehicle to tow a boat. I am concerned about the safety of the recall not only for myself but others drivers on the road.

- White Sulphur Springs, NY, USA

Oct 012015

Grand Cherokee

I waited a long time to receive the recall notice from Jeep and received it late in 2015. I called my local dealership, world Jeep Chrysler Dodge Ram in shrewsbury NJ in October and then again November 11, 2016. Both times I was told my name would go on a list and I would be called to have the new ignition installed on my vehicle asap. It is not February 11, 2016 and my Jeep has not been repaired and the dealership has not called me. I fear for the safety of myself and my 2 children every time I drive my car.

- Middletown, NJ, USA

Dec 032015

Grand Cherokee

Sun roof started leaking water from rain on driver and down door frame and thru interior doam light. Caused very dangerous driving condition with the water pouring in on driver head and upper body. Everytime it rains water leaks very badly and floods driver floor board and effects electricial system. Jeep says not under warranty so wont fix. Researched this issue on the internet and 1000's of people are having same problem with Jeep that have sun roofs. Very dangerous while driving and it must be a defective problem since so many Jeep owners are having this problem. Please help Jeep should be responsible for fixing this critical issue.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 042016

Grand Cherokee

2006 Jeep has 2 current recalls. I have called 3 different dealerships in my area and so far none is willing to repair the recalls with in a 2 week period. One dealership has failed to return my phone call twice the other two put repairs out for three weeks. I have notified the manufacture with the same complaint.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 152015

Grand Cherokee

All four interior door handles are breaking. The rear passenger handle has completely crumbled and will not open the door causing concern about a quick exit during an emergency.

- Norwood, GA, USA

Oct 212015

Grand Cherokee

The local dealer says Chrysler corporation has not made the replacement part available for the ignition switch. I have received two safety recall notices in the past year and Chrysler is apparently still not supplying dealers with the required parts.

- Battle Ground, WA, USA

Sep 012014

Grand Cherokee

Notified in September 2014 of faulty ignition switch problem; to this date October 2015; still no fix or parts availabe for potential safety hazard.

- New Windosr, MD, USA

Aug 032015

Grand Cherokee

I have been receiving recall notices from Chrysler since September 2014. I did everything the recall notice prompted me to do until the parts came in. I called the dealership 3 times over the last year to see if the parts came in. I really did not have any issues until August 3,2015. I was driving down the street and my car just turned off. I had no power steering but I was able to pull over with no problem and there was no traffic around me. I new it was the ignition switch issue so I called the dealer and they told me the parts for that recall are not available so there is nothing that can be done. This is my only form of transportation and I am a nursing student and can not afford to buy a new car. I have continued to drive it and on 3 separate occasions it has turned off while I was driving. Luckily I have either been in slower traffic or sitting at a stop light. This week on 3 occasions I went to start my car and it would not start. I called aaa but by the time they arrived it started again. The Jeep dealership told me I should not drive the car, I asked them if they could get a car for me to drive until the parts come in since this is a safety issue due to their recall and they said they could not do that. This is the only transportation I have. I go to school full time, am doing my clinicals and perceptorship at the hospital and work part time to pay my rent. I do not know what I am supposed to do if they do not have the parts to repair my car and this could be a life threatening problem. Yesterday (9/23/2015) I stopped by baxter Jeep in omaha, ne to see if they could get me in to check my car because it didn't start the first time I tried to start it that morning. They told me they couldn't get it in until October 7. I went to another auto repair servicer and they confirmed it was the ignition switch pertaining to the recall.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 032015

Grand Cherokee

Chrysler has issued and official recall #P41, in June 2014. Till now, 15 month latter, the corrective parts (ignition switch) to substitute the defective one were not developed. What is Chrysler waiting, someone to die " what the vehicle owners should do, just keep on driving the risky vheicles untill get seriously injured or even dead " no one is checking what Chrysler is doing (or not doing !!!) " no one makes them solve the problem " regards david coelho

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 022013

Grand Cherokee

Was notified of a safety recall involving a faulty ignition. When I called the dealer was told the part was not yet available. Two years later the part is still not available. I have contacted several local dealers and they say they can't help me. Please help!

- Thermopolis, WY, USA

Aug 082013

Grand Cherokee

I was reversing and came to a complete stop to shift into drive, when I shifted into drive and let my foot off the brake, it killed the engine and completely shut it off. All electronics remained on. I then reapplied my foot on the brake and shifted into park and started the engine up again, shifted into drive and was able to drive. This continues to happen from time to time and not every time and no one can figure out the issue.

- Indianola, IA, USA

Jul 282015

Grand Cherokee

While pulling out of my driveway all my dash lights came on then everything went black. My speedometer and tachometer both dropped to 0 and my gas gauge dropped to empty. The vehicle continued to run and I did not lose any power but the all the dash lights continue to go off and on and the gauges will drop to 0 or empty while the car is in motion.

- Kutztown, PA, USA