2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 202016

Grand Cherokee

Takata inflator. I purchased my Jeep and after a few months I notice it kept getting stuck in 3rd. Wouldn't come out. Then the message "transmission over temp" would pop up. It would randomly just loose all power and cut off as I would be driving. I had it looked at. Checked the codes bc check engine light would pop up also. Multiple codes were in the history pertaining to the issue. I was going to get everything fixed until I was told to contact Jeep first bc there might be some recalls that others were experiencing my same problem. I would of paid for it regardless to fix the problems. It had numerous recalls. Made an appointment to mckinney Dodge in easley, SC. After fixing the recalls I have paperwork for a few months later was doing it again. I work in a service dept. So I asked one my techs if it was same problem as the recalls and did I need to call dealership back. They said yes. Called mckinney and they refused to set me an appointment and said the problems had nothing to do with the recalls they fixed. After having several tows and stranded and almost wrecking with my children in the car going down the highway and just dies, I'm beyond frustrated and no one can seem tell me how to fix. After reading several reviews and recall information, my issues are everything with my recalls. My airbag light go on and off also. They never touched that and it's also a recal. I need to know what I need to do bc I'm not waiting for an accident or death bc this vehicle. It's my only car and I've tried to pay myself and had recalls fixed and problem is still there. I've contacted a lawer. I want it fixed or I want another vehicle.

- Easley, SC, USA

Sep 172016

Grand Cherokee

Takata recall. My car was in a wreck this pass September 17 and the air bags got deployed.my mother in law was injured in her head and it look like the bags through some sort of metal with white powder.I have no clue if this was normal.but my car smelled like burned..I has gone to geep in 2015 to get engine tune up.and I asked about takata recall and they told me they were working on it.and the would call me back.well they never did. Now that my car suffered this horrible accident I want to know why they never did what they were supposed to do. The accident happen at an intersection my car was turning on a green light and another vehicle runed over a red light and hit us. My air bags diploid and that's wen I saw this weird smell and still feel like I have something in eyes. I want to know what I have to after this and what steps to take.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Jan 012012

Grand Cherokee

Takata recall: I was in an accident with my 2006 Grand Cherokee. The accident was due to the ignition switch and the vehicle powering down while in drive, or in use. Injuries were suffered due to the airbag's none deployment. After taking the vehicle to the dealer and attempting to have two recalls replaced, I was told there presently was no available fix, or replacement for recall P41. The vehicle was serviced in 2015 at fitzpatrick's Chrysler Jeep (430 E main street, ansonia, ct 06401 (203) 734-3318) for recalls P41(ignition switch) & N23(powertrain transfer case electrical system). In January of 2012 with 37K on the vehicle there was the first of two accidents that relate to recall P41. This accident was due to unresponsive braking and steering, which was caused by the ignition switch moving from the on position to the off position while the vehicle was in drive, or in use. This accident happened when attempting to stop the vehicle (rte. 80 East haven, ct) I noticed the vehicle was unresponsive. I used both feet and hands to apply the breaks, while simultaneously wrapping both hands around the lower half of the steering wheel and pulling upward with my biceps to apply additional downward momentum to the break pedal, but still I could not stop the vehicle. Injuries were sustained and out pocket costs for this accident total over $7000 dollars. The second accident happened in 2016. Not realizing the vehicle was off while attempting to bring the vehicle to a full stop on the highway (rte.15 no haven, ct.), I had a collision. The force of the impact slammed my face into the steering wheel. I was dazed and confused, wondering, why hadn't the airbags deployed. This is the second incident I've had with this vehicle that was directly related to the ignition switch. And, in both accidents airbags were never deployed. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

- Seymour, CT, USA

Nov 062014

Grand Cherokee

"takata recall" I was involved in a side impact auto accident, air bags never inflated and I was injured. I was driving as a motorist went thru a stop sign and push the Jeep into the other lane of traffic, I was going straight on a residential street.

- Westbury, NY, USA

Dec 222015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 45 mph, the ABS and passenger side air bag light illuminated. The brake pedal became difficult to depress and required excessive force. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a previous recall on NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,645.

- Laurel, MS, USA

Nov 202015

Grand Cherokee

Takata recall - airbags did not deploy when the Jeep had a head to tail collision.

- Mountain Brook, AL, USA

Jun 262015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle independently shifted into the neutral position. In addition, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transfer case was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train); however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was approximately 123,000.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Nov 202015

Grand Cherokee

Car accident occurred and 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee airbags did not deploy. Car was in motion on a city highway in a 40 mph zone. Collision occurred at 30 miles per hour. Jeep rear-ended a stopped vehicle and no airbags deployed. Driver of Jeep suffered head contusion and multiple broken bones in hand.

- Mountain Brook, AL, USA

Dec 012015

Grand Cherokee

Recall P41- having symptoms as described in recall, loss of power steering, braking and engine power on 3 occasions, while traveling a slow speed approx 20mph and turning on city street.. local dealership has a waiting list of 4 months to fix problem

- Redding, CA, USA

May 222015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owned a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the contact crashed into a pole and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained shoulder and back injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a residence. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Grants Pass, OR, USA

Oct 012015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated and the engine stalled intermittently. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred numerous times. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000. Updated 1/20/16

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Oct 212015

Grand Cherokee

Received the recall notice and contacted porterville Chrysler. Despite the recall notice about increased risk of occupant injury as well as the potential to cause a collision without warning, they said they had no parts to replace the ones causing the issue, and they had no idea when they would. They claim to have had parts on order for over a year but none have been received and that they could not help me out by complying with the recall notice.

- Porterville, CA, USA

Jan 132015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owned a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while accelerating from a stop at 10 mph, another vehicle failed to yield and crashed into the front driver side of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained head and collar bone bruises that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed from the crash scene and was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 151,151.

- Manistee, MI, USA

Sep 082015

Grand Cherokee

After picking up my vehicle from my local Jeep dealer on the afternoon of Thursday Aug 27th, where it had been for a week for service repairs, one of which was the removal of the console to repair the emergency brake, I noticed that the light on the dashboard showing air bag deactivated was illuminated. I was out of town on vacation until this last Friday Sept. 4th, and I took it back to the dealer this morning, and they did find a wire that was disconnected, but there was a sensor that had failed. They refuse to own up to the fact that they did something during the emergency break repair period that deactivated the air bags and told me the $480 repair to replace the seat sensor is my responsibility. Until this problem is repaired, I cannot safely Transport a passenger in that front seat, so I have at this time no choice but to have this dealer make that repair.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jun 172015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that after the vehicle was started, the air bag warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 193,201.

- Macon, GA, USA

Jan 282015

Grand Cherokee

I have a recall that says that the ignition switch can change position while I am driving causing the car to cut off while driving. This can cause a loss in engine power, powere steering, braking assistance and possible failure of air bags causing an accident. The incident that I describe above occurred on interstate 85. I beleive that was what happened as I was able to coast off the raod to an exit. Sat for a while trying to fiqure out what was wrong finally after a while the car started back up and I got to my destination. After reading the article and looking up my VIN number which shows this recall I beleive that is what happended. This recall has been pending for more than a year and Chrysler still says they don't hav the parts to fix it.the Chrysler recall # is 14V-438.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Jun 022015

Grand Cherokee

The air bag warning light came on and wouldn't go off....now it goes off for a long period (50-100 miles) and then comes back on.....and off again....and on again. There is a recall #F39, campaign id 06V295000 but I have no way of knowing if this recall was addressed on this vehicle. There is also a recall P41 for ignition switch but I have checked twice and the dealer said they did not have the parts to fix it"??? I called Chrysler and they said the parts are now available"

- Durant, OK, USA

Jul 142014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at a low speed, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The contact stated that all the warning lights on the instrument cluster illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. In addition, while making a left turn at a low speed, the vehicle stalled. As a result, the contact crashed into a concrete barrier and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was not filed. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Findlay, OH, USA

May 282015

Grand Cherokee

The air bag indicator light in my car stays on and I was told my air bag bar in my steering wheel is broken. I was also told by a mechanic that if the air bag light is on then the air bags won't deploy in an accident. He also indicated that I may have a broken air bag bar in my steering wheel. This is of great concern as if I do get an accident and my airbags don't work then there may be injuries and possible fatalities.

- West Simsbury, CT, USA

Mar 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 50 mph, the vehicle lost power and jerked. In addition, all the lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. MA 10/19/15 the consumer stated the airbag light illuminated for weeks at a time then went off. The cruise control would not engage. Updated 3/21/2016

- Benton, AR, USA