2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 27 of 30)

Apr 202013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the instrument panel failed to display any information, the hazard lights continuously illuminated, and the windows failed to respond to the controls. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that there was a severe electrical issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 119,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA

Jun 012012

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle started stalling, first it would stall at low speeds, usually coming to a stop. Now the vehicle is stalling at highway speeds leaving it open for a deadly situation. At highway speeds, the vehicle will lose power, you will not be able to accelerate and the oil light will come on. Have tried putting the vehicle into neutral to resart during coasting but you need to turn the key all they way off and then restart. Will usually restart immediately. Called Chrysler to see if there were any recalls, there are none but they recommend replacing the power control module or electronic control module. If they recommended replacing a part that leads me to believe there is a known problem with those parts. The woman on the phone did not seem concerned my vehicle was stalling out on the highway even after I mentioned I just had a baby. I have had a private mechanic check it out an no codes come up.

- North Wales, PA, USA

May 162013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

As I was driving my Jeep shut off and I was unable to steer and started to slow down in the middle of the freeway going 65 mph. I was unable to get out of the road and on to the shoulder causing several cars to almost hitting me. When the Jeep stopped I put the SUV in park and tried starting all it did was make noise. I then stepped on the brake and put in neutral and tried starting it and it wouldn't start. I waited a few minutes put the Jeep back in park and tried again and it started but I'm scared to drive in now. This happened to me 4 times now but the other times it is when I am either coming off the freeway or on a city street not going that fast and in that much traffic.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jun 162010

Grand Cherokee

The first incident happened when my Jeep Grand Cherokee unknowingly shifted into neutral while driving down my neighborhood road. I was not aware of this until I tried to increase my speed and was not able to. I then had to turn off the car and turn it back on. This has happened three times since 2011.

- Jensen Beach, FL, USA

May 012013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle will not start. (thought it was starter motor like everyone else). After checking on internet and reading same problem that other Jeep owners had.( replacing starter motor did not solve problem). Thought to myself could it possibly be a loose wire. Had someone hold the key in start mode while I pulled on the wire harness going down between engine and battery. Had to jiggle it in different directions an don't U know it started right up. It has happened 3 times since then and this method worked each time. Dealer says he never heard of such problem. Wants to charge 100+ an hour for diagnostics. P.S.- be careful not to get burned or get caught by flywheel belts if U try this method at least I didn't have to pay for tow truck.

- Oakdale, NY, USA

Apr 022013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The drivers window regulator is not working. Second problem is when I start my Jeep up and put it drive it sometimes makes a clunk noise, like it' going in hard and all the boxes light up around the P.N.R.D. and it has no power. I have to turn it off and restart it and it clears it up.

- Dodgeville, WI, USA

Sep 172007

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I have had this vehicle to the multiple dealerships since I owned it. There is a two second delay when you push down on the accelerator. Dealerships can't find anything wrong. I replaced the catalytic converters, 4WD module. Every light comes on, check engine, check gas cap etc. It now gets horrible gas mileage and the transmission stopped working. This has been a lemon since day one and Jeep refuses to correct the situation. It is at the dealership now.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Mar 112013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

First my rear window light would come on during cold weather and would stay on this happened at 35,000 miles. Then my directional stopped working had fixed it had something to do with inside the steering column. This happened at 82,000 miles. Then a few weeks later drove myself to the drs when I came out my Jeep wouldn't start. All the interior lights, radio, directional, windows worked but when I turn it on I hear a click then nothing else. Car wont turn over at all. I waited about an hour of trying before it decided to work and turn over. I then proceeded to drive 5 min stopped at a gas station for gas, when I shut it off and tried turning back on same thing happened. I waited about 45 min before it would start back up. Then no problems for 5 days. Now again its doing the same thing except I left it over night and it still wont start. I called Chrysler after looking online and seeing a lot of people with complaints that were the same as mine except these people spent thousands trying to fix and replace everything yet still no luck they continue having this problem. So this is a very well known problem with Jeep and even after bringing to Jeep dealer and having a diagnostics done with no problems showing up. They don't know what's wrong suggested replacing wires, starter, something in the steering column, and some module. I don't want to dump tons of money in it like everyone else just to have the same problem. Chrysler apologized and said there is no recall for my vehicle. I stated it is a known problem and there should be. She then went on to say I should have it towed back to Jeep for another diagnostic. It works when it wants to work and has left me and my 4 yr old stranded. It seems like anytime there's a problem with my Jeep and everyone else's its always during cold winter months. Frustrated and stranded.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Mar 052008

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the electronic control module (ECM) was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 3,000 and the current mileage was 55,800.

- Newark , DE, USA

Jun 012011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased the vehicle at the end of May 2012 engine light was on and had a due bill for work to be done, stalling was 1 of the issues. Got it back with no check engine light on, but still stalled whenever hot or cold driving or in park. Has been in and out of the shop for almost a year and it still stalls, Jeep tech's cant figure it out. Dies sometimes 3-4 times a day and once in awhile not at all, but on average 3-5 times a week, never throws a code or check engine light just dies like if I turn the key off. I have to stop or pull over put it in park turn the key all the way off and then restart, runs fine till the next stall which might be in a few minutes, hours or the next day!! very frustrated and don't feel safe at all!!about 3000 dollars of work has been done and still stalls. Next thing to do Jeep tech says replace wiring harness 2000 dollars..haven't done that yet hopefully something else can be done!!! PCM and plugs have been replace by Jeep tech's among other things tried and it still stalls!

- Erlanger, KY, USA

Apr 112012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle just randomly stalls, shuts off as if the key was turned off and on quickly. Sometimes this happens when driving at highway speeds or when going slow around a turn or making any turns, this is very dangerous because of the loss of power steering and its very difficult to steer when it stalls. This will also happen when idling in park or when sitting at stoplights.

- Uniontown, PA, USA

Jan 222013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

My Jeep Grand Cherokee will stall due to a poorly shielded wiring harness. I'm sure you've seen this complaint before and I'm including a link for you to read through to see how many other hemi owners are having this issue. The temporary fix is to put tin foil around our harnesses"??"

- Glen Rock, NJ, USA

Oct 312012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased 07 Jeep 10/20/2012 shortly after it stalled in car wash about a week later it stalled again. The problem soon began to stall on interstate and recovers at higher speeds. As time passes the problem is happening at least 8 times a week mostly while idling or coasting.

- Sparta , WI, USA

Jan 142013

Grand Cherokee

Driving down road and engine stalled. Loss of power steering and power brakes. Put car in park and the car still moved wouldn't restart had to switch ignition off and take key out of ignition before engine would start. Stalls at random without any engine malfunction lamps. Hazard to be driving on road. Problem still unknown and vehicle is out of extended warranty.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jan 042013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Driving down road and engine stalled. Loss of power steering and power brakes. Caused car behind me to slam on brakes to avoid getting hit. Put in neutral and tried to start. Had to switch ignition off before engine would start. Stalls at random without any engine malfunction lamps. Hazard to be driving on road. Problem still unknown and vehicle is out of extended warranty by five thousand miles.

- Gaston, SC, USA

Dec 042012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Purchased 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland 5.7 on 11/30/2012. On 12/04/2012 I experienced stalling while decelerating to stop for a stop light, then the vehicle stalled showing code P0884. The vehicle started right back up when I turned the key with no signs of hesitation. Ever since that day, my vehicle stalls on average about 8-10 times per week depending on how often I use the vehicle. It stalls mainly during idle or coming to a stop and the most frightening stall I have experienced was when I was traveling at 60mph on a major highway and the vehicle completely stalled, and instantly restarted itself. Both times I experienced stalling at high speed was when I was doing about 60mph and both times the vehicle restarted itself on its own. But every time the vehicle stalls, I loose all power including power steering which worries me very much. Apparently I am not the only 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland with the 5.7 motor owner experiencing this problem. I am one of the hundreds on owners involved in a group discussion on where we discuss this problem and steps that Jeep, private mechanics, and/or owners themselves have taken to correct this stalling problem. This problem has been going on for years and no one seems to have a solution. Loss of power at 60mph is a very big issue and I worry that someone can be very hurt or killed by loss of power steering during stalling. I hope this issue raises concerns for my vehicle and I would be more than willing to allow someone from the NHTSA come and test drive my vehicle to experience what I and hundreds, possibly thousands of others are experiencing. Thank you very much and if you should have any questions in regards to this problem, please do not hesitate to contact me any time.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 282012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

There are no brake or tail lights or brake lights when it is dark, everything works in the day light, very dangerous to drive without any lights in rear of car.

- Deland , FL, USA

Nov 262012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

This is a continuing issue. The speed will suddenly decrease to 30 miles per hour without any action on drivers part. This is dangerous, especially on busy roads. We were told it was the front control module but after reading reviews it doesn't solve the problem. Chrysler should be held responsible to identify the problem, then issue a recall. They are not interested in doing anything. We bailed them out?

- Littleton, CO, USA

Sep 292008

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

09/29/2008 Jeep taken to garage for head light failure nothing found. 03/09/2012 to 11/07/2012 all indicator light flash exterior lights flash. Been to the dealership three times for numerous days at a time they can not find anything wrong still having this problem. Really not good when it is dark out and you don't have headlights. At 15,000 and 35,000 I had to have the shift modular replaced because all the car would basically go in to neutral when being driven. I would have to pull over and turn the car off and restart it. The first time it was at the dealership for three days they could not find a problem and sent it home only to have to return 2 days later with the same problem. As I have found many people on line with these same issues makes you wonder first why these issues can't seem to be fixed, second why there has not been a recall. It is truly a miracle that no one I have heard of has been injured or killed because of these defects. When the Jeep is working I love it. If I had a hope and a pray of getting a new vehicle I would trade in my paid off Jeep in a heart beat so that I wouldn't have to constantly worry that it stop running or that I will be driving blind in the dark. Sadly I didn't even touch on the other electrical issues I.e. window that had to be fixed remote keyless issues it is sad that the company doesn't do anything about these things this will be my last Jeep. I feel that these problems are dangerous for me, my family and anyone that is on the road with me and other Jeep owner with the same issues.

- Royersford, PA, USA

Jun 132012

Grand Cherokee

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - randomly the vehicle will not start, when turning the key to in the ignition you can hear the relay clicking, engine does not crank or start. When the key is returned to the off position the data display below the tachometer momentarily states that the transmission is overheated. The battery is fully charged and everything else, lights, horn, etc still work. There are no error codes dumped. The first attempt to fix this by the dealership was to replace the starter, now 4 months later the vehicle is doing the same exact thing. This has become a reliability issue in that there is no telling when this will occur, each time family members have been stranded with this vehicle, Jeep dealership seems to be "stumped". I have read of many Jeep vehicles that demonstrate this very same problem, without resolution. This can be an intermittent issue, usually have to wait until it becomes a "hard" fail before the dealership will look at it. This is extremely frustrating owning this vehicle not knowing when it will or will not start and whether the dealership can or cannot fix it!

- Essex, VT, USA