2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 28 of 30)

Nov 262012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

This is a continuing issue. The speed will suddenly decrease to 30 miles per hour without any action on drivers part. This is dangerous, especially on busy roads. We were told it was the front control module but after reading reviews it doesn't solve the problem. Chrysler should be held responsible to identify the problem, then issue a recall. They are not interested in doing anything. We bailed them out?

- Littleton, CO, USA

Sep 292008

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

09/29/2008 Jeep taken to garage for head light failure nothing found. 03/09/2012 to 11/07/2012 all indicator light flash exterior lights flash. Been to the dealership three times for numerous days at a time they can not find anything wrong still having this problem. Really not good when it is dark out and you don't have headlights. At 15,000 and 35,000 I had to have the shift modular replaced because all the car would basically go in to neutral when being driven. I would have to pull over and turn the car off and restart it. The first time it was at the dealership for three days they could not find a problem and sent it home only to have to return 2 days later with the same problem. As I have found many people on line with these same issues makes you wonder first why these issues can't seem to be fixed, second why there has not been a recall. It is truly a miracle that no one I have heard of has been injured or killed because of these defects. When the Jeep is working I love it. If I had a hope and a pray of getting a new vehicle I would trade in my paid off Jeep in a heart beat so that I wouldn't have to constantly worry that it stop running or that I will be driving blind in the dark. Sadly I didn't even touch on the other electrical issues I.e. window that had to be fixed remote keyless issues it is sad that the company doesn't do anything about these things this will be my last Jeep. I feel that these problems are dangerous for me, my family and anyone that is on the road with me and other Jeep owner with the same issues.

- Royersford, PA, USA

Jun 132012

Grand Cherokee

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - randomly the vehicle will not start, when turning the key to in the ignition you can hear the relay clicking, engine does not crank or start. When the key is returned to the off position the data display below the tachometer momentarily states that the transmission is overheated. The battery is fully charged and everything else, lights, horn, etc still work. There are no error codes dumped. The first attempt to fix this by the dealership was to replace the starter, now 4 months later the vehicle is doing the same exact thing. This has become a reliability issue in that there is no telling when this will occur, each time family members have been stranded with this vehicle, Jeep dealership seems to be "stumped". I have read of many Jeep vehicles that demonstrate this very same problem, without resolution. This can be an intermittent issue, usually have to wait until it becomes a "hard" fail before the dealership will look at it. This is extremely frustrating owning this vehicle not knowing when it will or will not start and whether the dealership can or cannot fix it!

- Essex, VT, USA

Oct 222010

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

After being parked the Jeep would not start, code displayed in the dash stated transmission over temp, after sitting for about 30 more minutes the Jeep started - drove home and it would not start again - took it to a garage and they could not get the problem to replicate after having it for a week. July 5, 2011 - Jeep would not start again, transmission over temp code, still intermittent, after 2 weeks the garage replaced the transmission control module, August 6, 2012 - transmission over temp error code, this time it will not start after any pause in driving, had it towed to the dealer and they are saying its the starter (Jeep now has about 65,000 miles on it) - also had to replace the right front speed sensor (it is bad and causing the traction control system not to function properly).[additional notes: Had to replace the esm at 28596 miles, Jeep loss of engine power and all lights lit up on gear shifter, at 27170 miles had to replace both front window regulators].

- York Springs, PA, USA

Dec 082009

Grand Cherokee

I write this only because I just experience my fourth mechanical breakdown in three years. In December 2009, I experienced the first breakdown in what has become a string of malfunctions. The transmission on my 2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo gave out at about 40,000 miles. When trying to start the vehicle, I got a 'transmission overheat' message on the dash display along with the engine malfunction indicator. I took it to the dealership where I purchased it and it took nearly a month for the repair shop to locate, receive and install the necessary parts. Apparently supply and demand had something to do with it, indicating to me that this was an issue nationwide. A month later, another malfunction, this time, the electronic shift module (esm) had died. Just over a year later, the same component (esm) died again (of course just out of warranty), this time while I was driving along rt. 50 outside of DC. Now, less than six months later, with less than 40,000 on the already replaced transmission, my transmission has blown again - same 'transmission overheat' message, same engine malfunction light, same undrivability. Clearly from seeing the comments on this forum as well as other reputable sites such as edmunds and consumer reports, the 2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo has a long, long history of mechanical and electronic problems. I have a phone call scheduled with a case worker scheduled for tomorrow, 7/13/2012. They'll either make it right or I'll be taking my story to small claims court. I encourage everyone who's had issues with this model to do the same.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jun 162012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The dashboard lights came on all at once. Than was fine continued driving and check engine light came on and tried to make it home. However never made it P, R, N, D all lit up and started loosing power. Was able to make it to side of road. Check engine light code was U0404 and now the gear shift control module needs to be replaced. However after looking over other complaints from Jeep owners I see this has been a problem on these vehicles. I think its time for a recall especially that it happens every 30,000 -40,000 miles. Unreal at the cost of repair. Nothing like a scam. Will never own a Jeep again..

- Spotswood, NJ, USA

Apr 052012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4.. my driver side window panel for the passenger window goes down but not up and stops mid way and goes back down. I just had my starter replace due to corrosion of the connectors, and dealer would not replace connectors, just brushed off and stated I need new starter....

- Newark, DE, USA

Apr 102012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Jeep does not start. Message saying transmission temp over.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 162012

Grand Cherokee

Was pulling from a stop sign when the vehicle suddenly shifted to fourth gear without touching shift left lever causing the vehicle to accelerate very slow and was almost hit by cross traffic because I could not get out of the way, luckily they swerved around me. I have read multiple complaints of same problem with shifting out of control. It must be a manufacturer defect. If it had not been for an alert driver the situation might have turned out differently for my family and I. Jeep needs to remedy this problem before somebody is killed.

- North East, PA, USA

Jan 112012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle on December 14, 2011. About three weeks later in a parking lot, we noticed the vehicle would not accelerate even though the accelerator pedal was pushed virtually all the way down. A few days later the engine warning light came on. Then the lack of acceleration happened on the interstate. My mechanic cleared the engine warning light but it came back on a few days later. I did a lot of research and it appears this is a common problem on Jeep vehicles. The problem is a failure of the electronic shift module. It if very expensive to have replaced. My local dealership charged me $924 plus tax. As many comments as I have seen on this and the fact that lack of acceleration is a safety issue, Jeep should not hesitate in issuing a recall.

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

Jan 212011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Upon acceleration from stop vehicle will hesitate and lose power. This constitutes a hazard to vehicle and any approaching vehicles during a turn. Inspection indicates that transmission electronic control module is at fault along with a possible transmission sensor failure. The check engine light will come on. Both of these conditions ( power and check engine ) are intermittent, indicating that the module is faulty. There have been many complaints about the transmission ECM on these vehicles. The other complaints have varying symptoms but all go back to the transmission ECM. These unit should be recalled and repaired or replaced at manufacturers cost. This problem exists in many different models and years of vehicles, but always go back to this ECM unit. After investigating this problem I don't feel that the consumer is at fault or causing this to occur. Chrysler modules are and have been faulty in the past. Anecdotal evidence says that other modules in Chrysler vehicles have had problems too. Please investigate the Chrysler transmission ECM's and have them recalled.

- Rochester Hill, MI, USA

Jan 012008

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the interior and exterior lights would illuminate intermittently and the vehicle would stall sporadically without warning. The dealer made numerous attempts to repair the failures but to no avail. The manufacturer stated that they would call the contact back when they received a resolution for the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000 and the current mileage was 90,000. Updated 02/15/12 updated 02/27/12

- Killington, VT, USA

Sep 012010

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would violently jerk and stall. A malfunction indicator light would illuminate during the failure. After the failure occurred, the light remained illuminated for several days. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic, who advised the contact to replace the electronic shift module because it failed. The dealer had not been notified. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance. No repairs were peformed. The failure mileage was 17,000 and the current mileage was 26,660. The VIN was unavailable.

- White Oak, PA, USA

Aug 242011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle loses power no matter how much gas you give it. The engine light comes on and off every few days. All the gear indicator lights are highlighted.

- Saxonburg, PA, USA

Dec 092011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was driving approximately 40 mph in the fast lane of a main two-lane residential roadway when the vehicle suddenly jerked violently forward throwing me into the steering wheel and then all acceleration and speed stopped. The steering wheel became abnormally stiff and difficult to turn however I was able to guide the completely stalled and decelerating vehicle to the slow lane and pull-off on the side of the road (with no side lane) with hazards flashing and traffic passing. This was an inherently dangerous condition as the flow of traffic was going approximately 35 - 40 in the fast lane at which time I completely lost power and had limited steering (more like coasting) ability. I was able to turn the engine completely off and restart, however the next day under similar conditions of normal driving conditions the vehicle jerked and stalled again, and restarted after a complete shutdown. This vehicle on the third day post the first incident failed to restart after driving to a local shopping destination and turning the car off to park. I left the vehicle at the location for approximately 4 to 5 hours and retrieved the vehicle upon which it started with a documented call into road side assistance program from Jeep. The next day (Monday) I drove to an authorized dealer upon which they stated the failure was the electronic shift module (esm) [(not to be confused with the electronic stability control (ESC)] which controls the electronic signals from the computer to the transmission at a personal cost of $820. I believe this represents a known defect as currently 55 out of the 133 complaints listed here are describing a similar series of events and root cause, and would be willing to be involved in a class action law suit against Jeep as life, limb and property are at stake.

- Columbus , OH, USA

Nov 162011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When you shift from park the prdnl will have a box around each of the letters. When backing up it slams into reverse and then slams into drive and the vehicle will only go 20 mph no matter how much you step on the gas. This has now happened 5 times and the only way it goes back to normal is to shut off the vehicle and start it back up. I have now seen numerous blogs where this happens at highway speeds, in the middle of intersections and is so dangerous to drive cause you never know when it is going to happen. From what I have read it looks like you have to replace the electronic control module at a cost of almost $800 to just have it go out again later and have the same problem again. This is very dangerous and scary!

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Nov 192011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle, had a sudden lose of ability to accelerate, no throttle response, no rpms on the tach, and every gear indicator was illuminated as if in all gears at the same time (park, reverse, neutral, drive). Dealership says its part # 52124137ac that needs to be replaced, and is not covered under any power train warranty, at a cost of $817. This problem happened 4 times before I was able to get it in to the local dealership, never on the highway, if it had happened on the highway, im sure I would have been taking a chance with my life.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Sep 152010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My Jeep has experienced three electrical failures which have occurred approximately 6 months apart. For some unknown reason the battery died overnight each time. The second time it happened I purchase a new battery but six months later it drained too. I was able to successfully jump-start the vehicle after each incident. Transmission----I haven't been able to down-shift from drive to a lower gear. This problem began at about 46000 miles. I took it to a repair shop where they diagnosed the problem as defective shifter control. Before I had it repaired (est. $1000) it began functioning normally, that is, until today. I left a parking lot and merged into traffic. Fortunately traffic was light because I couldn't get the Jeep to go any faster than 28 mph. It seemed like the transmission was stuck in first. Also the engine light came on. This is a very serious situation that should not be ignored by the Chrysler Corp. Or the national highway traffic safety adm..

- Amherst, NH, USA

Jun 112011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Stalling issues with 5.7 hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee overland. Vehicle stalls at random but at low speeds and coming to a stop. Happens approximately 3 to 4 times per month (about once a week). Vehicle loses complete power, brakes, steering, etc. Huge safety issue. Only way to restart is to put in neutral or park. No check engine light but stores P0884 code. Dealer can not replicate problem but notices code. Dealer does not have a fix or does not know how to fix. Vehicle has stalled on railroad tracks, 5pm traffic, and worse possible times and could cause serious injury.

- Richland, MI, USA

Aug 222011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I purchased my pre-owned 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 less than a month ago. I have had 4 instances of it not cranking. I took it back to the dealership where they replaced two sensors and reprogrammed the computer. I got my car back on Friday. Today is Monday and it isn't cranking again. All electrical accessories work fine but the car will not crank. The battery, alternator, and starter tested fine. The suspension makes a god- awful squawking sound every time I drive anywhere.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA