2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Jun 092014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph in a parking lot, the vehicle became very difficult to steer without warning and the vehicle stalled. The contact restarted the vehicle and it resumed normal function. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The contact was made aware of recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical). However, the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

May 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and was able to restart. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Mcallen , TX, USA

Jul 122014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle began to shake and swerve from side to side uncontrollably. The contact crashed the vehicle into the left expressway wall. The vehicle spun around and crashed into the right side of the expressway wall. The air bags deployed. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The failure was due to the engine cylinders misfiring. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 012012

Grand Cherokee

For a couple years my Jeep Grand Cherokee has experienced several episodes of ignition shut off. I spoke with my local dealer and they said it was not an issue with Jeep, only some Dodge models. I paid to have a 2nd computerized key made at the dealership, as Dodge was saying their issue was related to the driver having other keys on ignition key ring. This way I had a single ignition key. Still experienced the issue. Last time I was making a left hand turn from a subdivision on to a busy 2 lane hwy with a posted speed of 50 miles per hr. Ignition shut off as I started to cross the right hand lane. Fortunately I had enough forward momentum to clear traffic and came to rest on the left hand shoulder by a farmers field. I finally received in the mail the official Chrysler recall notice for my Jeep due to ignition shut off. Called my local dealer this morning to set up an appointment, although the recall said they would contact me. With several incidents, I felt time was critical. My dealer advised me they had not received the official recall notification from Chrysler and therefore could not schedule the repair free of charge. If however I wanted to pay for the repair they could schedule. I advised them that was not acceptable. Emailed Chrysler customer relations and here also, my dissatisfaction and what appears to be a wonton disregard for human safety by a manufacture and their representative.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Aug 042014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked, the engine was suddenly engulfed in flames. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was driven approximately five minutes prior to the failure. The fire department extinguished the fire. No injuries were reported. The manufacturer was notified and stated that they would send an investigator to inspect the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 012012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the vehicle would stall and the check engine indicator would illuminate. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 012009

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 154,000.

- St Lewis , MO, USA

Jul 112012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle and failed to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred on numerous occasions and only during hot weather. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who replaced all eight control modules but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was not available.

- Louisa, KY, USA

Jul 152014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I was driving on route 50 going 65mph. This vehicle is a quad 4X4 automatic / stick shift manual, which was in my favor. When I realized the vehicle was shutting down I had to think quickly what my next steps would be. I started to get over to the right side of the road and brake, because the vehicle was shutting down the power brakes where going out and I could not brake completely. The vehicle was still moving and I was about 200 yards away from my exit and the side of the road was winding around toward the off ramp and getting smaller for me to drive on. I realized that I was not able stop the vehicle by using the floor brake then the fear factor set in. In my mind the only thing I can do is pull the stick shift handbrake and quickly put the vehicle in park then I was able to get control and safely stop the vehicle. This ordeal happened at 4:20pm yesterday and by the time we towed the vehicle back to the dealership and tried to explain to the general sales manager, si faige, on site at darcars in new carrollton, md what all transpired on the road in the unsafe vehicle that they sold us, he didn't want to hear any of it.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Apr 112014

Grand Cherokee

Every time it rains the Jeep wont start been to the garage twice they all think its the starter but then you let it sit once its all dry it fires right up so no one is sure why and what's happening but happens every rain storm.

- Oxford, ME, USA

Nov 292013

Grand Cherokee

I purchased my Jeep a little over a year ago used. I have had numerous problems since I have purchased it. First it was thought to be an electrical problem since the car would randomly shutter, would not want to start or just turned off. Battery was replaced multiple times, since it would leave stranded at any given time. The engine light comes on, but there has not been a solution to what it can be. I feel very unsafe in my car, and I am not sure what to do at this point. When I turn the car on, there is a loud hum or propelling sound coming out of the engine. When I come to a stop you can feel the car shake when the noise happens.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 012010

Grand Cherokee

When turning left or right at slow speed the engine RPM drop from about 600 RPM to 300 or 400 RPM and then stalls. This happened 11 time in 2010 and then final disappeared. It now happen in 4 times since 24 March 2014. Twice it happened in northern NJ as I tried to enter the garden state parkway, once in a shiopping mall and two weeks ago as I was turn off the main road into my street. Recently I have written the dealer where I purchased the vehicle explaining the problem but I have never received even an acknowledgement. I was told by Chrysler customer service that I would have to have an expensive analysis done. When this was done in 2010 they could not find anything. I was told they had to see it happen. I had it happen 1000 ft from their facility, but they refused see the vehicle unless it was towed. I feel that this is a very dangerous situation especially when it occurs turning on to a high speed highway.

- Coraopolis, PA, USA

Jan 082014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I took ownership of the vehicle in December 2013. While driving, the vehicle engine has suddenly shut down on three separate occasions. The first time was in January 2014 in heavy highway traffic near Colorado springs at about 50mph. I was able to move to the shoulder and turned the key off then restarted the engine. There seemed to be no adverse effects thereafter so I thought it was a random event. Then one week later driving on a lightly trafficked highway in wy at about 60mph, with the cruise control engaged, the engine again suddenly shut down and again I was able to steer to the shoulder and switched the ignition off and then restart it. When I returned home I had my local mechanic check the vehicle over and had him check the computer for faults. After the checkup I thought the issue was settled. Then in March driving down a winding mountain road near boise id the engine again suddenly shut down and I steered to the road side where I switched the ignition off and then restarted it. There after I read about this issue concerning some Jeep models. I put my VIN number in the Jeep website and it said there were no recalls for it. I will take it to the dealer in hopes there is a resolution for this seemingly chronic serious problem.

- Boise, ID, USA

Dec 122013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The vehicle would just suddenly shutdown, I bought the vehicle used just a few days before the incident but driving to different state. Since then, it has stalled several times and I have taken it to the dealer and since there is no engine check light, dealer says they cannot find the problem. It would stall at any speed, temperature or any condition. I am afraid that it may stall at the wrong place at the wrong time. Although it would start right away but sometimes it take 3-4 times to turn over. I hope Chrysler would find a fix for this.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Mar 252014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the electric turbo warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the intake manifold swirl valves and motor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 83,000.

- Bozeman, MT, USA

Mar 172014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

As I was driving the truck jerked real hard which almost knocked the wind out of me and I lost control of steering, speed, I was unable to start the truck. I had to make my way to the shoulder in morning traffic on the highway to put the car in park and turn the ignition off and start it over again I had to do this 2 times before it started. Proceeded to get back into traffic and it jerked again this time it stopped running and started clicking all by itself until I stopped the truck and turned it off and started it again. This is not the first time this has happened and it very dangerous and from the looks of things this is a ongoing problem with this model & year Jeep.

- Spring, TX, USA

Nov 182013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While vehicle is in motion a front dashboard lights would flash for a while and suddenly goes dark including head lights and brake lights. This is not in any correlation with weather, temperature or road conditions. This has been happening randomly and due to safety concern we no longer use the vehicle for a family trip and we do not use the vehicle at night since all electrical components goes off while it is in motion. Per online search it appears there are numerous Jeep owners experiencing the similar malfunction. This is a very serious safety issue, so why the manufacturer has not issued a recall to have this repaired?

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Sep 242013

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle shut off while driving without any driver action. Weather clear. Pavement dry. Don't know temp. Never reported as I thought it was a one-off incident - until hearing of the current recall for this issue on other Jeep vehicles in this time period.

- New Paltz, NY, USA

Oct 152008

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4. The contact stated that the vehicle would sporadically stall with the illumination of all of the instrument panel warning lights. The contact took the vehicle to be diagnosed however, the dealer was unable to reproduce the failure. The manufacture was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 2000.

- Canton, MI, USA

Dec 152012

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The engine shuts off for no apparent reason. It can happen at any time whether at a stop, or at any speed. I never know when it will shut off. When the engine shuts off, I shift to neutral, turn the ignition off and then back on and start the engine. It will not restart unless the ignition is turned off. The engine runs fine after that normally. Happens every 50-100 miles and tends to occur more often in warmer weather. There is no specific action that has occurred prior to the occurrences such as filling the tank. Dealers have not been able to pinpoint the problem and no obd codes are disclosed. I estimate it has happened 200 times.

- Fenton, MI, USA