2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Jan 312014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

As I was driving the truck jerked real hard which almost knocked the wind out of me and I lost control of steering, speed, I was unable to start the truck. I had to make my way to the shoulder in morning traffic on the highway to put the car in park and turn the ignition off and start it over again I had to do this 2 times before it started. Proceeded to get back into traffic and it jerked again this time it stopped running and started clicking all by itself until I stopped the truck and turned it off and started it again. This is not the first time this has happened and it very dangerous and from the looks of things this is a ongoing problem with this model & year Jeep.

Jan 222014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Car stalled while traveling on highway at 65mph with light throttle. Electrical systems stayed on, engine cut out with no warning. When the engine stopped a single alert chime sounded. The car was maneuvered to the shoulder. Placed the vehicle in park and restarted by turning off, then on. Started on first attempt. This is the first stall I have encountered after purchasing the Jeep 1 month ago. The engine has stuttered a couple of times at highway speeds with the alert chime sounding once each time, but the engine restarted within a second and continued going.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jan 022014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate and went into limp mode. The vehicle was not diagnosed but the contact personally replaced the electronic shift module. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Lereoy, IL, USA

Sep 062007

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the engine warning lamp was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times but the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a second opinion, who determined that the vehicle had developed a crack at the exhaust crossover on the junction of the two pipes. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 135,000. Updated 02/19/14 updated 02/19/2014

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Jan 062014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 75 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact did not take the vehicle to the dealer or mechanic for a diagnostic test. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Dec 292013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Same description as many other consumers. Slow, rough acceleration at all times. Very difficult to accelerate especially when entering freeway. Need to pull over on ramp and turn off vehicle in hopes that restart will help. Vehicle will stall while driving on freeway. Just completely shuts down. Very dangerous for driver and those around driver. Have to attempt to get to side of road and turn off vehicle and hope that upon restart vehicle will improve. Too many complaints over the years have gone unheeded and an immediate recall needs to be done before serious injuries or deaths occur.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 192013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I had been driving for maybe 8 minutes at 55 mph when suddenly the vehicle jumped, stalled and lost power. After gliding to the side of the road, I made 3 attempts to restart in park. It would not restart. After waiting several minutes the car did restart. All of this while people are passing at 60 mph on a two lane road!! the vehicle is not registering any codes!!

- Hebron, IN, USA

Dec 132013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Had the transmission warranty recall update done, now I am getting a "service 4WD" light. In doing research this is very common on Jeep's who had the recent warranty update. Jeep needs to correct this problem. In some cases dealers are replacing actuators under warranty and in some not. My dealer, ed tomko Jeep in avon lake, Ohio, would like to charge me to take a look at it. Chrysler/Jeep needs to pay to correct this problem.

- Bay Village, OH, USA

Dec 102013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The truck is a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Once again as I was driving my vehicle shut down (jerked real hard) and I lost all driving capability etc power steering, speed control..... I was driving on the freeway when my Jeep shut down it was during morning rush hour traffic. It was hard for me to glide over to the shoulder when everyone around you is going 60 mph and you have no power steering. When I was able to get to the shoulder I placed the Jeep in park and turned the vehicle off and removed the key and put the key back in and it started right up. This has been happening everyday now and why searching the internet I've ran across on here and elsewhere that I am not the only one having problems like this with my year and make. It is really dangerous and im surprised there hasn't been a recall yet or a terrible possible fatal accident due to the vehicle being non responsive in fast heavy traffic. This engine shut off without warning. I've noticed this happens when it is real cold outside.

- Springq, TX, USA

Jul 172013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The engine stalls like someone turns the key off, no codes, dealer replaced coils, psm, spark plugs, crank sensor and solenoids, still stalls and is very scary in traffic. Dealer said that he gives up and cant figure it out and to trade it in.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Oct 282013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Cruising along at 60mph suddenly had reduced power, vehicle would not go more the 40mph, this has happend twice since. Pulled to the side of the road, turned off vehicle, restarted, and was back to normal.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

May 142013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The engine stalled while merging from one highway to another. All power assist systems (brakes, steering) failed; restart from neutral was unsuccessful and required full power-off in park. Upon restart, the mil was clear.

Oct 042013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

While coming to a stop at a light, the engine stalled. The mil illuminated, but cleared upon the next power-on cycle, so no codes could captured; subsequent reads revealed no stored codes. Restart required the vehicle to be in park; attempts while in neutral resulted in the engine turning over, but immediately dying.

Nov 012013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

While at a stop light, the engine stalled and produced a mil reading. Codes P0129, P0688, P0884 were stored, but cleared upon the next cycling of the ignition. The vehicle would not restart until a full power-off cycle (in park). Attempts to restart while in neutral resulted in the engine turning over and immediately killing.

Sep 022013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that after shifting into drive, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test, which determined that the electronic control module was defective. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Fishersville , VA, USA

Nov 112013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The engine stalled while at cruise speed (not accelerating) and with no warning. There was 1/2 tank of gas; the mil did not illuminate. Upon loss of engine power, all power assist systems (e.g.: brakes, steering) ceased to operate. I successfully restarted the vehicle by shifting into neutral and turning the key as far toward "off" as is possible when the vehicle is not in park. On the second attempt, the vehicle restarted with no mil illumination.

Nov 112013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

While I am driving my Jeep will buck and shut down. I then had to make my way over to the side of the road on the highway while cars are going 65mph or greater and my speed is slowing down. When I was able to pull over and stop. I had to remove the key and place the car in park before it would start. The first few times I tried while in neutral and moving to the side of the highway it would just continue to click and keep clicking. This has been happening several times a day now and my route to work is 95% highway. It is scary that someone might hit me and cause a terrible accident. I noticed this has happened to several Jeep around the world with the same issue. I noticed a recall for the Jeep going into neutral but nothing about this major issue about the car bucking and stalling while driving. I noticed my Jeep had its ignition switch changed out some time ago also. I wonder if he had problems before he traded. I have no other car to drive or I would and I have spent over $500 trying to find out what the issue is. Please start investigating before someone gets hurt.

Sep 242011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I bought this Jeep on 9/20/2013. The truck is equipped with the 5.7 L hemi engine. Over the first 50 days and 1,157 miles of ownership I have encountered 18 episodes of the vehicle stalling, with 14 of those stalls occurring on major highways in traffic. The stalls occur with no warning. The vehicle immediately decelerates to a stop and I am left with no power, no steering and no brakes. One dealership blamed it on a bad battery. The dealership which sold me the Jeep diagnosed the problem as a M.a.P. sensor, which they replaced. That did not correct the problem as the stalling problem continues to occur. The most recent was on 11/9/2013 while driving in the center lane of the pa turnpike at 65 mph. The Jeep stalled and came to a stop, with a semi tractor-trailer behind me. I have no idea how that truck driver was able to swerve in time to miss me. Mechanics and on-line forums identify possible causes for the stalling as 1. a defective (ECM) electronic control modules; 2. shorts in the wiring harness; 3. sparks plugs; 4. egr valve; 5. ignition coil; 6. PCV valve; 7. transmission solenoid pack. There are no diagnostic codes stored in the obd-II system. One school of thought is that 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee and commanders equipped with the 5.7 L hemi engine are extremely sensitive to radio frequency interference from the waste spark on the coil. As other complaints have noted, this is an obvious and persistent problem with Jeep equipped with the hemi engine, and Chrysler has turned a deaf ear to the complaints. Perhaps they are waiting for the fatalities to occur. Why NHTSA hasn't done more to order a recall is beyond my comprehension. The problem has been reported on for years with no action taken by Chrysler. This Jeep is, for lack of a better word, a deathtrap. At best it cannot be trusted, it is unsafe and unreliable. At worst it is an accident waiting to happen!

- Hatfield, PA, USA

Nov 072013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The car was a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Once again as I was driving my vehicle shut down (jerked real hard) and I lost all driving capability etc power steering, speed control..... I was driving on the freeway when my Jeep shut down it was during morning rush hour traffic. It was hard for me to glide over to the shoulder when everyone around you is going 60 mph and you have no power steering. When I was able to get to the shoulder I placed the Jeep in park and turned the vehicle off and removed the key and put the key back in and it started right up. This has been happening everyday now and why searching the internet I've ran across on here and elsewhere that I am not the only one having problems like this with my year and make. It is really dangerous and im surprised there hasn't been a recall yet or a terrible possible fatal accident due to the vehicle being non responsive in fast heavy traffic. This engine shut off without warning. I'm getting tired of going to different shops and no one knows what is wrong. Apparently Jeep has made a bad truck since this is a wide spread problem around the world for this year and model.

Nov 012013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

As I was driving my car jerked real hard and all my dash lights came on and my ability to drive my car was useless. My Jeep slowed down on the freeway during morning rush hour traffic almost causing several accidents. As I was trying to restart my Jeep it just keep making a clicking noise and wouldn't stop. I had to pull the key from the ignition and reinsert the key and try to start the Jeep. After 3 tries it started and I went to drive off and as I was accelerating my Jeep did it again finally it stayed on and I was able to drive to a safe location. My Jeep sounded real strange not like normal. This is the 7 th or 8th time this has happened since I had my Jeep not even a year to date.