2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Jul 222013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was pulling abnormally. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was restarted but the failure recurred while the contact was sitting at a traffic stop. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Oct 242013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Once again as I was driving my vehicle shut down (jerked real hard) and I lost all driving capability etc power steering, speed control..... I was driving on the freeway when my Jeep shut down it was during morning rush hour traffic. It was hard for me to glide over to the shoulder when everyone around you is going 60 mph and you have no power steering. When I was able to get to the shoulder I placed the Jeep in park and turned the vehicle off and removed the key and put the key back in and it started right up. This has been happening everyday now and why searching the internet I've ran across on here and elsewhere that I am not the only one having problems like this with my year and make. It is really dangerous and im surprised there hasn't been a recall yet or a terrible possible fatal accident due to the vehicle being non responsive in fast heavy traffic.

Sep 132013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Summary: The vehicle experienced significantly reduced power while driving in freeway traffic. It was necessary to move to the far right lane and exit the traffic flow. This has happened on several occasions. It is unsafe when the condition occurs in heavy traffic.

- Co Spring , CO, USA

Sep 122012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that they could not diagnose the cause of failure. The vehicle was no repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- North Kingstown, RI, USA

Aug 202013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact mentioned that after the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train), the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 12,821. Updated 10/17/13 the consumer stated the vehicle would not start and all lost all power. The vehicle was jump started. The consumer believed the vehicle failure, was due to the recall that was performed on the vehicle.

- Riverdale, MD, USA

May 222013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl Diesel

While driving on rt 66 w in pw county va during rush hour traveling at 70+ mph the dash lights flashed, the red light indicating electronic throttle control illuminated and the car suddenly dropped speed to 20 mph and would not respond the accelerator peddle being pushed to floor. Cars behind me drove off in the median trying to avoid me nearly causing a major chain reaction. So far I have spent $4000+ in repairs and cause cannot be found. There are 100's of complaints on this issue in the various internet blogs. It appears that the mercedesbenz and Chrysler 300 crd having this same engine has been recalled due to same symptoms. This vehicle needs to be recalled before someone is killed, if that has not happened already and the accident was not properly investigated.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Jun 122013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Vehicle has intermittent stalling issue. Has happened four times in the 1500 miles I have owned the vehicle. 3 occasions have been at idle and once on the highway at 65 mph. No codes are logged, no check engine or malfunction lights come on. It always restarts immediately after shut down.

- Spencer, WV, USA

Dec 282012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving the transmission will slip into neutral and revs high, all gears high-light on the dash board, and this happens at multiple speeds many different times" there have been several times this has almost caused my husband and I to have an accident. I was told by the dealership that a recall has been issued and to wait until notified??" this is not something to take lightly and having almost been in accident(s) I feel this needs immediate attention.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Mar 092013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that smoke emitted from under the hood while driving. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to be inspected. The failure was located at the radiator fan. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 72,000.

- Orem, UT, USA

Mar 262013

Grand Cherokee

As I was driving on the interstate my Jeep (2007 overland 5.7L hemi) shut off at the speed of 65mph with no power steering it was hard for me to try to get over as my Jeep was going slower and slower other cars are approaching and honking and scaring me. I thought I was going to be hit. I was able to pull the Jeep off tot he side to put the car in park and try to start it again. It took a few times and it started but acted sluggish all the way home and believe me I stayed on the shoulder side and went real slow. They should recall this because this isn't the first time this has happened to me or other Jeep owners from what I have read. ## VIN failed ##

Mar 112013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

First my rear window light would come on during cold weather and would stay on this happened at 35,000 miles. Then my directional stopped working had fixed it had something to do with inside the steering column. This happened at 82,000 miles. Then a few weeks later drove myself to the drs when I came out my Jeep wouldn't start. All the interior lights, radio, directional, windows worked but when I turn it on I hear a click then nothing else. Car wont turn over at all. I waited about an hour of trying before it decided to work and turn over. I then proceeded to drive 5 min stopped at a gas station for gas, when I shut it off and tried turning back on same thing happened. I waited about 45 min before it would start back up. Then no problems for 5 days. Now again its doing the same thing except I left it over night and it still wont start. I called Chrysler after looking online and seeing a lot of people with complaints that were the same as mine except these people spent thousands trying to fix and replace everything yet still no luck they continue having this problem. So this is a very well known problem with Jeep and even after bringing to Jeep dealer and having a diagnostics done with no problems showing up. They don't know what's wrong suggested replacing wires, starter, something in the steering column, and some module. I don't want to dump tons of money in it like everyone else just to have the same problem. Chrysler apologized and said there is no recall for my vehicle. I stated it is a known problem and there should be. She then went on to say I should have it towed back to Jeep for another diagnostic. It works when it wants to work and has left me and my 4 yr old stranded. It seems like anytime there's a problem with my Jeep and everyone else's its always during cold winter months. Frustrated and stranded.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Mar 052008

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the electronic control module (ECM) was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 3,000 and the current mileage was 55,800.

- Newark , DE, USA

Feb 272013

Grand Cherokee

While driving the vehicle the engine will randomly shut off (stall), this occurs at any speed and any driving condition, occasionally it will be very difficult to restart, taking multiple tries. This is extremely dangerous especially when turning corners or coming off the freeway and merging into traffic. Was almost rear ended when truck stalled and would not start I even put in neutral with no help and it just kept jumping.

Jun 012011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased the vehicle at the end of May 2012 engine light was on and had a due bill for work to be done, stalling was 1 of the issues. Got it back with no check engine light on, but still stalled whenever hot or cold driving or in park. Has been in and out of the shop for almost a year and it still stalls, Jeep tech's cant figure it out. Dies sometimes 3-4 times a day and once in awhile not at all, but on average 3-5 times a week, never throws a code or check engine light just dies like if I turn the key off. I have to stop or pull over put it in park turn the key all the way off and then restart, runs fine till the next stall which might be in a few minutes, hours or the next day!! very frustrated and don't feel safe at all!!about 3000 dollars of work has been done and still stalls. Next thing to do Jeep tech says replace wiring harness 2000 dollars..haven't done that yet hopefully something else can be done!!! PCM and plugs have been replace by Jeep tech's among other things tried and it still stalls!

- Erlanger, KY, USA

Feb 282012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls when idling at red lights and occasionally shuts down suddenly at highway speeds. Apparently this is a common problem with this vehicle with the hemi V8 engine and it is a serious and potentially dangerous matter. There is an entire thread about this at www.jeepforum.com/forum/F67/2007-Jeep-grand-Cherokee-overland-stalling-problem-1147825/.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Apr 112012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle just randomly stalls, shuts off as if the key was turned off and on quickly. Sometimes this happens when driving at highway speeds or when going slow around a turn or making any turns, this is very dangerous because of the loss of power steering and its very difficult to steer when it stalls. This will also happen when idling in park or when sitting at stoplights.

- Uniontown, PA, USA

Feb 052013

Grand Cherokee

Driving down the road the car will not go over 45 mph. The only way to quick fix the problem is to turn the car off then back on then it will run normal. Also the car has stalled out when I was turning down the road and would not go until I put the car in park then put it back in drive.

- Great Falls, MT, USA

Dec 052012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

On 12/5/2012 my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited with only 33,466 miles stalled on the highway at about 60mph. I almost got into an accident because of the loss of power steering and brakes. I thought this was an isolated incident however since then the stalling problem has been increasingly getting worse to the point where I recently had to take my Jeep to the dealership for repair. The dealership was courteous, but unfortunately told me that the hemi engines have this known problem for stalling and they had to change out $1500 worth of parts to hopefully fix the problem. Sadly my extended coverage did not cover the cost due to the lack of Chrysler/Jeep not being able to give them an actual broken part number. It seems Chrysler/Jeep is just playing guessing games to fix the problem! while researching the web I came across a web site called "www.jeepforum.com" and found out that there are hundreds if not thousands of people who are suffering this same problem and it is very clear to me that this problem should be recalled by Chrysler/Jeep. Sadly I know this will fall on deaf ears at the NHTSA as others have also stated on the Jeep forum web site, but I'm hoping by taking the time to write this post that it will inform anybody who is considering to buy a Jeep vehicle to think twice as Chrysler/Jeep are producing pure junk vehicles that you could end up compromising your life and others around you! remember hundreds if not thousands of people can't be wrong!!

- South Ozone Park, NY, USA

Mar 182012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle stall out at various speeds, or when idling stationary. Comes on without warning. Seems these stalling problems are common with 5.7 hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee, even according to the dealer. This is a serious safety hazard as power steering and brakes are lost during a stall. An inoperative vehicle in a traffic lane could suffer a rear-end collision from this condition. Please help by ordering a recall from Chrysler company to remedy the problem. Nothing seems to remedy the situation and it keeps occurring.

- Havre De Grace, MD, USA

Dec 222012

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Purchased 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland 5.7 hemi July 31, 2007. December 1, 2010 my wife was traveling on an interstate at 65 mph when the engine suddenly shut down. She managed to pull the car off the road, started the engine and drove home without any more issues. Dealership technician discovered P0884 code from the PCM. He could not find any problems. Car continued to stall numerous times at high speed and sometimes while stopped at a stop sign or red light. This problem started shortly after the engine spark plugs were changed. After numerous parts were changed at the dealership, with no results, the technician contacted an engineer from the Chrysler company. During an on site visit the engineer suspected there was an issue with the upper engine harness receiving an electrical induction from the engine coils causing the PCM to shut the engine down. The technician installed foil around the harness and wire tied the harness up off the cradles they lay in. Engine performed normal with no shut downs for several months. Decision was made to change the upper engine harness. Since the harness was changed my Jeep has stalled out four more times. The most recent stall occurred the last week of December 2012. This is an extremely dangerous situation to be traveling at interstate speed limits and your car stalls. Chrysler places drivers in a situation with a vehicle that is uncontrollable while traveling on an interstate with cars behind you. I started an on line thread in Jeep forum.com concerning this issue. www.jeepforum.com/forum/F67/2007-Jeep-grand-Cherokee-overland-stalling-problem-1147825/. there are numerous other folks having this problem in the usa, Canada, and Hawaii. I think that an investigation should be performed to discover what is causing this issue and come up with a positive repair for customers that are having this problem.

- O'fallon, IL, USA