2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

Jan 042013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Driving down road and engine stalled. Loss of power steering and power brakes. Caused car behind me to slam on brakes to avoid getting hit. Put in neutral and tried to start. Had to switch ignition off before engine would start. Stalls at random without any engine malfunction lamps. Hazard to be driving on road. Problem still unknown and vehicle is out of extended warranty by five thousand miles.

- Gaston, SC, USA

Jun 222012

Grand Cherokee

While driving on the interstate at 65 mph, the vehicle's engine stalled. I had to put the vehicle in neutral, turn the ignition off an back on to restart it. This first happened just after the 30 day warranty was over, as I bought the vehicle used in may of 2012. Since that time, the vehicle has stalled at highway speeds or when slowing down for a stop on dozens if not hundreds of occasions. The spark plugs, egr valve, ignition coil, PCV valve and map sensor have been changed to no effect. There are no meaningful diagnostic codes stored in the obd-II system. I feel this condition is very dangerous, as I never know when the vehicle will stall, causing a loss of power steering and brakes, and the ability to accelerate out of harm's way. It is my understanding that many of these same vehicles with the same engine are having similar issues. I can no longer let my wife or teenage son drive the vehicle because of this condition.

- Churchville, MD, USA

Dec 282012

Grand Cherokee

While driving the vehicle the engine will randomly shut off (stall), this occurs at any speed and any driving condition, occasionally it will be very difficult to restart, taking multiple tries. This is extremely dangerous especially when turning across the opposing lane. The stalling happens frequently at times, as much as 3 to 4 times a day.

- Havertown, PA, USA

Dec 042012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Purchased 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland 5.7 on 11/30/2012. On 12/04/2012 I experienced stalling while decelerating to stop for a stop light, then the vehicle stalled showing code P0884. The vehicle started right back up when I turned the key with no signs of hesitation. Ever since that day, my vehicle stalls on average about 8-10 times per week depending on how often I use the vehicle. It stalls mainly during idle or coming to a stop and the most frightening stall I have experienced was when I was traveling at 60mph on a major highway and the vehicle completely stalled, and instantly restarted itself. Both times I experienced stalling at high speed was when I was doing about 60mph and both times the vehicle restarted itself on its own. But every time the vehicle stalls, I loose all power including power steering which worries me very much. Apparently I am not the only 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland with the 5.7 motor owner experiencing this problem. I am one of the hundreds on owners involved in a group discussion on where we discuss this problem and steps that Jeep, private mechanics, and/or owners themselves have taken to correct this stalling problem. This problem has been going on for years and no one seems to have a solution. Loss of power at 60mph is a very big issue and I worry that someone can be very hurt or killed by loss of power steering during stalling. I hope this issue raises concerns for my vehicle and I would be more than willing to allow someone from the NHTSA come and test drive my vehicle to experience what I and hundreds, possibly thousands of others are experiencing. Thank you very much and if you should have any questions in regards to this problem, please do not hesitate to contact me any time.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 112010

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl Diesel

3.0 liter crd has had multiple problems from purchase to include air intake, oil systems, and seals. Engine is unreliable and does not seem to last more than 5,000 miles before needing major repairs. Based off of my experiences I believe the engine is faulty and can lead to safety issues while driving. In a 3 year period vehicle has been quoted as needing in excess of $20,000 in engine repairs. Air intake clogs with oil. Oil system leaks from multiple locations to include engine oil cooler, and intake runners. Back engine oil seals leak. Turbo clogs with engine oil. Vehicle has 46,000 miles on it.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Dec 152012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was driving 65 miles per hour on the expressway, when suddenly, my Jeep began to decelerate until it reached about 40 miles per hour, even though I maintained constant pressure on the accelerator pedal. It felt like I had no control over the speed of the vehicle. Traffic was light so I coasted, and pressed the pedal a little harder, until eventually, the SUV lurched and then started to accelerate. About 3 minutes later, the same thing happened again while I was still driving on the expressway. The vehicle decelerate to 35 while it seemed that I could not control the speed, and then accelerated again. After the acceleration dropped and then increased the second time, I was able to maintain 65 miles per hour until I exited the expressway 15 miles later near my home. Driving a vehicle under these conditions is a horrible feeling! I was so afraid that a car or truck moving at the normal speed would crash into me. If the traffic had been heavier, I would have had to pull over to the side of the highway, which would have been even more terrifying, because it was dark outside, and I had no idea what was going on or how long I would be stranded. We just had the SUV's engine tuned one month ago at the dealer's service center, and we also had the oil changed at the same time. There haven't been any episodes like this until now. I'm actually afraid to drive the Jeep again!

- Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 012011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

My vehicle stalls while driving. It happens while at idle at a stop light, and it happens while at speed. It hasn't occurred yet at speeds above 45 mph. Everytime it stalls, I get a oil pressure warning light. I occasionally receive a electronic throttle warning light as well. I also occasionally receive a electronic stability program (esp)/traction control system (tcs) indicator light when my power steering cuts off due to the engine stall. The problem always corrects itself upon shutting the key off, and restarting the vehicle. I have had it to the dealership, and they haven't been able to diagnose nor recreate the problem. Fyi, I recently had my 5 year powertrain inspection done by the Chrysler dealership, and my Jeep passed with no noted issues. I have included a link to a website that shows many other people having similar problems with this vehicle. This vehicle is a safety hazard, and it needs to be recalled. Here's the link to the website:

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 082011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Shortly after changing the spark plugs in my wife's 2007 Grand Cherokee overland the vehicle would stall on deceleration. I thought it might be an isolated incident, but the stalling continued frequently. The engine completely shuts down and the vehicle must be stopped or put in neutral while coasting to be restarted. After conducting some internet research I found this to be a common problem with the 2007 Grand Cherokee with hemi's. I was amazed at the number of occurrences of this happening among this vehicle. There are Jeep forums ( that discuss this issue in depth. The vehicle stalls less frequently than it did when I first changed the spark plugs, but it still happens. The most recent occurrence was on November 1, 2013 when my wife was picking my son up from school. Chrysler corporation fails to take a stance on the problem denying that the problem exist. I have spoke to my local dealer's service department about the problem and they denied any knowledge of it. I would sale the vehicle, but in good conscience I could not do that to another individual. Several dealerships have replaced the upper and lower wiring harnesses on several vehicles and this seems to have resolved the problem. Again to restate the problem it seems to occur after the spark plugs are changed in the vehicles. This would lead one to believe that disturbing the position of the wiring harness effects the vehicle. Chrysler no longer manufacturers that wiring harness, as they are on the third version of it. This in itself would lead you to believe that Chrysler has some knowledge of a problem, but will not issue a recall or take any official position. My main concern is for my wife and children's safety while riding in this vehicle. I ask that you please take an in-depth look into this situation.

- Lillington, NC, USA

Jun 132012

Grand Cherokee

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - randomly the vehicle will not start, when turning the key to in the ignition you can hear the relay clicking, engine does not crank or start. When the key is returned to the off position the data display below the tachometer momentarily states that the transmission is overheated. The battery is fully charged and everything else, lights, horn, etc still work. There are no error codes dumped. The first attempt to fix this by the dealership was to replace the starter, now 4 months later the vehicle is doing the same exact thing. This has become a reliability issue in that there is no telling when this will occur, each time family members have been stranded with this vehicle, Jeep dealership seems to be "stumped". I have read of many Jeep vehicles that demonstrate this very same problem, without resolution. This can be an intermittent issue, usually have to wait until it becomes a "hard" fail before the dealership will look at it. This is extremely frustrating owning this vehicle not knowing when it will or will not start and whether the dealership can or cannot fix it!

- Essex, VT, USA

Oct 232012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph the vehicle suddenly stalled and power steering failed. The consumer then coasted to the side of the road and no warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart after a few moments. The vehicle was later taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted. The failure and current mileage was approximately 41,000. Updated 12/03/12

- North Kingstown, RI, USA

Jul 272012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

While traveling at 75 mph the 5.7 hemi engine shut off as if someone turned off the ignition key. No warning lights or any indication there was a problem. The engine started right back up and we continued on our way at a lower speed of 65 mph. Twenty miles later the same thing happened. This happened a total of four (4) times in a trip of approx. 400 miles. An online search indicates this dangerous problem is occurring in other vehicles. The customer service rep at Chrysler Jeep claims they have no information about this problem! the frightening thing is that there does not appear to be a remedy for this issue. Will not be driving this vehicle until I can get it into a dealer for them to attempt a repair.

- Frankfort, IL, USA

Nov 012011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated while driving the vehicle stalled. The contact restarted the vehicle and the check engine light remained illuminated for a short time. The warning light shut off before the contact took the vehicle to the dealer. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to dealer; however, they were unable to diagnose or duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of failure. The approximate current mileage was 74,000. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Virginia Beach , VA, USA

May 232012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl Diesel

Vehicle suddenly lost power (did not stall) while driving 70 mph on interstate I40 in a construction zone (no access to median because of concrete construction barriers). Engine power did not allow me to drive over 35 mph. Dash board indicator started flashing red (etc indicator: Electronic throttle control). Several tractor trailers had to brake hard to avoid running into the rear of my vehicle. Engine is 3.0L Mercedes diesel. Problem appears to be a failed swirl motor due to excessive oil blow by from a defective intake tube with an orange gasket. This Mercedes diesel engine was used in Jeep gr Cherokee in 2007 & 2008. This particular problem was identified in NHTSA item #1006202 regarding Mercedes vehicles but never to Jeep. This situation of loss of power while highway driving could of been tragic. This Jeep 2007 & 2008 problem is well documented in various Jeep forums on the internet. Why is NHTSA not doing anything about it"?"

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Feb 012012

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I have two problems with the vehicle that make it unsafe to drive. The first is that the engine randomly stalls. Most of the time it stalls when the vehicle is stopped. Sometimes it stalls at very slow speeds. When stopped, sometimes I hear a "thunk" right before it stalls like it was trying to go into gear. It has done this running in park and when the brake is pressed while in drive. It has stalled on me in busy intersections putting me in unsafe situations. Turning the key all the way off and back on will restart it. The second issue is that the transmission randomly gets stuck in 4th gear. It happens most often when a lot of power has been applied from stop. But it also happens randomly. When it occurs, I pull over and stop the engine turning the key all the way off. Usually when I restart it will go back to drive and all the gears in the transmission function normally. The issue is so chronic now with the transmission that it immediately goes into 4th and the vehicle is not drivable. It is at the dealer now. The dealer pulled codes and recommends replacing the transmission solenoid pack. This part is currently on national backorder and there is no eta of when the part will be available to the dealer. Also there is no guarantee that this part will fix the transmission problem. If it doesn't, the vehicle will require a new transmission. They are not even looking at the stalling problem until the transmission problem is resolved. The stalling problem is very serious and I cannot confidently use the vehicle without fearing putting children in an unsafe situation. There should be a safety recall by Chrysler on these vehicles.

- Arlington, VA, USA