2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 222016

Grand Cherokee

I am writing in regards to a possible new recall on the 2007 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. The vehicle has been accelerating several times now when you take your foot off the gas. On 9/22/16 the vehicle was accelerating rapidly for 15 seconds even when I had my foot on the brake paddle trying to stop the vehicle. I have some recordings and next time this happens again I will be recording more footage to show that there is a problem with the acceleration on the 2007 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. I would like to point out that after the recall of P41/NHTSA 14V-438 was complete and the ignition switch was replaced I have started to have problems. First the new part that was replaced caused the short in the vehicle which caused the vehicle not to start. This was fixed on my cost and now the vehicle accelerates by itself and it is very dangerous.

- Park Ridge, IL, USA

Aug 032016

Grand Cherokee

My daughter was driving her 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee when it suddenly accelerated and then slammed on the brakes twice. The rpms were 6000 or 7000.

- Davisburg, MI, USA

Jun 182016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle has had the ignition recall done. In the hot weather, you can't run the air conditioning as the car will indiscriminately stall when you come to either a stop light or a yield. Car has to be put in park and restarted. Last week, when merging onto a highway, rpms went all the way down. Had to floor the car to get going and it knocked very hard. Had Jeep dealer look at this several times and they keep saying there's nothing wrong with the car. There is a problem here that Jeep is not addressing. They don't want to give a fair buy back price on the car, knowing we have a 19 year old driving the vehicle. Our local mechanic has said this is a very unsafe car and he wouldn't put his family in it. Jeep dealers don't want to face the problem or address it. This has been an issue for over a year, but becomes more apparent in summer months of hot weather.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 012008

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle speed decreased without warning. The contact continued to depress the accelerator pedal and the vehicles speed eventually increased. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system), however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000. Updated 1/19/16

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 042015

Grand Cherokee

The dashboard went blank, no speed information, etc, all the warning lights lite up as if the vehicle was being started. Steering became hard, was a very scary moment!

- Columbia, NJ, USA

May 132015

Grand Cherokee

Driving on the highway when the car suddenly accelerated nearly rear ending the car in front of me. The RPM's went up. Even when the car is in park the RPM's fluxuate go up and down.

- Hingham , MA, USA

Mar 122014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and decelerated independently. Also, the dashboard switches failed to operate and all of the warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). However, the parts needed were unavailable to perform the repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- St Louis , MO, USA

Jan 152015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Hi, I have been having a lot of problems with my truck. I have contacted the Chrysler recall center concerning the ignition switch and the safety of my vehicle. I have expressed over and over again that I do not feel safe in the vehicle. My truck will without warning begin to want to stop as if I am gliding then accelerates randomly. The 800 # sent me to a service center that updated system computer upgrades but it obviously has not helped the situation. I am a single more of 5 that has not option but to drive this vehicle for work and to take my children places. They only answer is that I have to wait until the part is available. This is not acceptable. Sometime all of my shift lights will go on at one time and my malfunction light now stays on. I pay almost $500 a month in car payments for a vehicle that is despite what Chrysler's 800 # states is okay to drive. I need help.

- Palmetto , GA, USA

Dec 082014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle suddenly decreased in speed without warning. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Mar 122014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact states that while driving approximately 70 mph, all lights on the control panel illuminated and the vehicle decelerated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Eudora, KS, USA

May 012012

Grand Cherokee

For a couple years my Jeep Grand Cherokee has experienced several episodes of ignition shut off. I spoke with my local dealer and they said it was not an issue with Jeep, only some Dodge models. I paid to have a 2nd computerized key made at the dealership, as Dodge was saying their issue was related to the driver having other keys on ignition key ring. This way I had a single ignition key. Still experienced the issue. Last time I was making a left hand turn from a subdivision on to a busy 2 lane hwy with a posted speed of 50 miles per hr. Ignition shut off as I started to cross the right hand lane. Fortunately I had enough forward momentum to clear traffic and came to rest on the left hand shoulder by a farmers field. I finally received in the mail the official Chrysler recall notice for my Jeep due to ignition shut off. Called my local dealer this morning to set up an appointment, although the recall said they would contact me. With several incidents, I felt time was critical. My dealer advised me they had not received the official recall notification from Chrysler and therefore could not schedule the repair free of charge. If however I wanted to pay for the repair they could schedule. I advised them that was not acceptable. Emailed Chrysler customer relations and here also, my dissatisfaction and what appears to be a wonton disregard for human safety by a manufacture and their representative.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Mar 192014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving up a hill at 20 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate accompanied by an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the vehicle would fail to accelerate over 20 mph on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,000, and the current mileage was 84,400.

- Snow Hill, NC, USA

Feb 072008

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I had made a left turn, begin to accelerate, and all of a sudden, car begun to shut down, car slowed down, until it came to a stop. Took car to dealer, problem was not fixed, continued to have same problem over next several years. I was unaware, and never received a notice of recall for transmission problem. I turned the power off, wait about 1 minute, started vehicle and it ran fine. During the ride, electrical panel began to flash, everything was turning on and off. Gas gauge, and every other gauge on the panel went up and down. Every light on the panel flashed on and off. This has happen many times over the years as well. I recently took vehicle to dealership in November 2013, who told me they could not fine anything wrong with my car. Just in the last few weeks I have had this electrical problem, March 2014. What is wrong with my car, how can I get is fixed" what do I do if I have a recalled vehicle"

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 172014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

As I was driving the truck jerked real hard which almost knocked the wind out of me and I lost control of steering, speed, I was unable to start the truck. I had to make my way to the shoulder in morning traffic on the highway to put the car in park and turn the ignition off and start it over again I had to do this 2 times before it started. Proceeded to get back into traffic and it jerked again this time it stopped running and started clicking all by itself until I stopped the truck and turned it off and started it again. This is not the first time this has happened and it very dangerous and from the looks of things this is a ongoing problem with this model & year Jeep.

Sep 012009

Grand Cherokee

I cannot remember the exact dates 1- vehicle would not start intermittently - throttle control modular replaced 2- vehicle would not start starter replaced 3- all dash warning lights keep going on and off vehicle lost power - engine light stayed on wiring and wiring harness replaced. 4- all warning lights kept going on and off lost power - engine light finally stayed on dealer just reset the computer. 5-all warning light went on lost power again then ABS esp traction control lights on - broken wire fixed in the wiring that was replaced. 6-all warning lights just went on again vehicle has 58K miles lost power now ABS esp and traction control lights are on.

- Wethersfield, CT, USA

Dec 292013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Same description as many other consumers. Slow, rough acceleration at all times. Very difficult to accelerate especially when entering freeway. Need to pull over on ramp and turn off vehicle in hopes that restart will help. Vehicle will stall while driving on freeway. Just completely shuts down. Very dangerous for driver and those around driver. Have to attempt to get to side of road and turn off vehicle and hope that upon restart vehicle will improve. Too many complaints over the years have gone unheeded and an immediate recall needs to be done before serious injuries or deaths occur.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 112013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

While I am driving my Jeep will buck and shut down. I then had to make my way over to the side of the road on the highway while cars are going 65mph or greater and my speed is slowing down. When I was able to pull over and stop. I had to remove the key and place the car in park before it would start. The first few times I tried while in neutral and moving to the side of the highway it would just continue to click and keep clicking. This has been happening several times a day now and my route to work is 95% highway. It is scary that someone might hit me and cause a terrible accident. I noticed this has happened to several Jeep around the world with the same issue. I noticed a recall for the Jeep going into neutral but nothing about this major issue about the car bucking and stalling while driving. I noticed my Jeep had its ignition switch changed out some time ago also. I wonder if he had problems before he traded. I have no other car to drive or I would and I have spent over $500 trying to find out what the issue is. Please start investigating before someone gets hurt.

Nov 072013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The car was a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Once again as I was driving my vehicle shut down (jerked real hard) and I lost all driving capability etc power steering, speed control..... I was driving on the freeway when my Jeep shut down it was during morning rush hour traffic. It was hard for me to glide over to the shoulder when everyone around you is going 60 mph and you have no power steering. When I was able to get to the shoulder I placed the Jeep in park and turned the vehicle off and removed the key and put the key back in and it started right up. This has been happening everyday now and why searching the internet I've ran across on here and elsewhere that I am not the only one having problems like this with my year and make. It is really dangerous and im surprised there hasn't been a recall yet or a terrible possible fatal accident due to the vehicle being non responsive in fast heavy traffic. This engine shut off without warning. I'm getting tired of going to different shops and no one knows what is wrong. Apparently Jeep has made a bad truck since this is a wide spread problem around the world for this year and model.

Nov 012013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

As I was driving my car jerked real hard and all my dash lights came on and my ability to drive my car was useless. My Jeep slowed down on the freeway during morning rush hour traffic almost causing several accidents. As I was trying to restart my Jeep it just keep making a clicking noise and wouldn't stop. I had to pull the key from the ignition and reinsert the key and try to start the Jeep. After 3 tries it started and I went to drive off and as I was accelerating my Jeep did it again finally it stayed on and I was able to drive to a safe location. My Jeep sounded real strange not like normal. This is the 7 th or 8th time this has happened since I had my Jeep not even a year to date.

Oct 242013