2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 282014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I filed a complaint back in January 2014 regarding this issue. It went no where with NHTSA. Chrysler/Fiat sent out recall N23...their fix for vehicles that might roll when remote start was used.this recall reprogramming caused Jeep to loose 4X4, 4X4low etc. Some get stuck in 4low, some in 2high. After almost $700 and months of aggravation, paying to replace my actuator (which was fine!), I still have the problem with no 4X4, 4X4 low or ability to shift transfer case into neutral. I had to have the dealer clear the error codes again! I am realtor in upstate NY and use my 4X4 regularly!! I don't want to get up on some mountain dirt road and find out I don't have my stability control, 4X4low or other! this is a grave safety issue for those that use 4X4 low especially. During this past winter I didn't even have regular 4X4 and my Jeep fishtailed in the snow. Please do something to force Chrysler to fix this safety problem. Thank you.

- Hancock, NY, USA

Jan 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to final drive controller module recall. Consumer states recall repair damaged vehicle. The consumer stated the recall was performed in October 2013. However, he did not know at the time, it damaged the vehicle. It wasn't until January 2014, that the vehicle would not go into towable mode. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. An inspection revealed the vehicle needed a new transfer case motor, and Chrysler would pay for the repairs, but the part would not be available for six months. The consumer filed a claim with Chrysler, and five weeks later the part arrived, and was eventually installed. Late April 2014, the vehicle would not shift into towable mode. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was fixed again. The dealer guaranteed that it wouldn't happen again. But, it did happen again, and a warning appeared on the dashboard, that read service 4-wheel drive system and the transmission light illuminated. The consumer was informed, there was no permanent fix at the moment.

- Sedona, AZ, USA

Jun 272014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My Jeep stalls every month or every month. I have brought it to the dealership for over a year regarding this issue. Jeep stalls while driving at low and high rate of speeds. This mostly happens to me at high rate of speed. My road is a 50 mph road and I have had to pull off to the side of the road and restart my Jeep. This is very dangerous no matter what road I am on, but I do live on a major road which has lots of traffic. The dealership cannot seem to find what is the cause of this stalling and says no codes show in the computer. I put the latest stalling episode above. Chrysler really needs to step-up and fix this issue. I am not the only one with this problem.

- Garrison, NY, USA

May 012014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl Diesel

I was purchasing a used Jeep Cherokee 4X4, and had completed a full and detailed inspection of the unit on Apr 28th, 2014. I had tested the 4 low and it worked fine. The unit was to go into Chrysler on the Apr 29th for the N23 recall prior to my picking up the unit the following day. The N23 recall was completed and Apr 30th I picked up the Jeep. The next day again tested the 4 low and now the service 4WD light came on. The Jeep had not been used at all since the recall other than a very short drive home.

- Everett, WA, USA

Jan 012014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

No 4X4 low ever since I had the N23 recall work performed to reprogram the final drive controller. Called Chrysler about it and the scheduled an appointment for me at a dealer. Dealer said the transfer case actuator motor is fried and needs to be replaced. They also said that the part is back ordered 6-8 weeks because so many people have had this problem after having the N23 recall work performed. Chrysler says that the issue is not related to the recall work and they will not cover the repair. I did some of my own research and there are 1000's of other people who ar having the same issue. I've given Chrysler many opportunities to address this issue but they refuse to do so.

- Gray, ME, USA

Apr 012013

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle has been in the shop 6 times in 6 years. This latest time Chrysler refused to honor the warranty. The dealer, who is out of business due because of Chrysler shutting them down, was to notify us of an inspection when it came due. All the other dealer I spoke to confirmed this, however we were never notified. The repairs were $1065 and should have been under warranty per the dealer which did the repairs. Chrysler has retroactively charged our warranty as well from lifetime to 3 years, even thought warranty work was done in the same year. We have a book that says lifetime and should be covered after inspection. The dealer which did the repairs had no issues with the vehicle of approving the inspection, Chrysler refuse to discuss with the dealer or discuss any further. You have a service light for all services on the vehicle so you don't forget, but you have a 30 day inspection window without any warning or notification.

- Westminster, MD, USA

Mar 272014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I took my vehicle in for the N23 safety recall and my 4 wheel drive system no longer works. The work Jeep did to fix the recall has removed critical functionality of the vehicle.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Jun 032013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated while traveling various speeds there was a hesitation intermittently when engaging the accelerator pedal. The vehicle stalled without warning on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure on three occasions. The contact had to shift into neutral gear, wait a few minutes and attempt to restart the vehicle numerous times. There were times when the vehicle failed to restart. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,300.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 142014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift into neutral. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the actuator mode switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 86,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 06/17/14

- Livingston, TX, USA

Sep 182013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4. The contact stated that he received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) in September 2013. The contact stated that once he had the vehicle repaired, he was unable to use the 4-wheel drive function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on multiple occasions but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Feb 022014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl Diesel

Lost 4X4 drive low range. Problem is directly related to the "safety recall N23 / NHTSA 13V-175 reprogram final drive controller module" that a Jeep service center had preformed. I am from North Canada where we have snow from early November to may end it's not safe to travel without functional 4 wheel we have to wait till someone freezes to death or dies from dehyadration in desert until Chrysler do something.

- Edmonton, AL, USA

Dec 272013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl Diesel

Jeep has a known problem with the transfer case actuator motor. Last fall, 9-19-13 I brought it in for a recall, number N23. Prior to the recall I had no problems with my Jeep and I had towed it up to Alaska and back, over 7,000 mi. This winter we decided to spend it in Arizona. About 2 months into it is when we get a service message to have our 4WD system looked at and that it wouldn't shift into neutral for towing purposes. So I get on the internet forums and find out that there are thousands of other Jeep owners experiencing the same thing and not shifting into 4 low also. They too had not had any troubles until they had taken their vehicles in for the recall fix which, was a reflash of the transmission software. The transfer case actuator are on backorder from Jeep at one per dealer every 14 days. And I get to shell out $500 for a problem that didn't exist until the recall. Oh, I had towed the Jeep several times since the Alaska trip in 2011. The bigger problem here is that there are a lot of Jeep owners who don't ever take their Jeep's off road or tow it behind something so they don't get the trouble message until they do and they need it. That means there are millions of Jeep owners that don't know they have a problem.

- Layton, UT, USA

Feb 162013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I am not able to shift the transfer case into 4 wheel drive low range or neutral after the safety recall reprogrammed the computer.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 152014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

While off road very far into the desert of Arizona I was traveling with my permanently disabled wife. We were on desert trails and the trail lead into a soft silt type dry wash. When I tried to put this Jeep into 4X4 low range a message popped up in the interment cluster that said "service 4 wheel drive". the Jeep would not shift to 4X4 low range and lock the differential and drive through the dry wash to safety. This problem is directly related to the "safety recall N23 / NHTSA 13V-175 reprogram final drive controller module" that a Jeep service center had performed. The final drive controller module (fdcm) (N23 / NHTSA 13V-175) re-programming that I had performed at a Jeep service center caused this potentially fatal problem that could have left my wife dead. If we hadn't had water to drink or if it would have started to rain we(she) could have drowned in the wash while being trapped in the Jeep, because I could not place the Jeep in 4X4 low range and lock the differential to drive the Jeep out of a potentially fatal situation.

- Franklin, PA, USA

Feb 082014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl Diesel

Went into dealership service center to have "N23" safety recall performed. Before N23 software update there was no problem using the 4WD-low function, afterwards the 4WD-low shift function comes up with "service 4WD" code and will not shift into 4WD-low. I discovered this while stuck in a snow drift this weekend. After researching the issue I discovered that many Jeep owners that went in for the N23 recall are having the same issue.

- Reno, NV, USA

Jan 242014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I believe this issue/complaint is a result of safety recall N23/NHTSA 13V-175. Ten days ago we were preparing to hook up my Jeep for towing behind our rv. When I attempted to put the transfer case into neutral it would not move and I would get a 'service 4W system' error message. We took the Jeep to the dealer and was advised the transfer case module was bad. The worst news was there were none to be found within hundreds of miles and I had no powertrain warranty. Ten days later and I am still waiting for a replacement part. This is the part that was 'reprogrammed' as part of the safety recall N23/NHTSA 13V-175. Ever since this reprogramming was performed I have no 4X4, no 4low or neutral. This is expensive to repair and we were forced to cancel our trip. Now, as a realtor in upstate NY I am not able to do my job as I cannot take buyers to properties on snow covered roads. My Jeep worked perfectly fine until this module was reprogrammed. Additionally, now I hear a thumping noise from the rear (it sounds like the rear, ) when I first start out every morning. I see other Jeep owners are experiencing the same problem, and feel confident that this part is being replaced all over the us as a result of faulty reprogramming...and that is why they cannot get a new one. I do not want to wait till this problem causes other electrical issues, which it very well could. I believe Chrysler is ultimately responsible for this repair as my transfer case worked fine till they reprogrammed it.

- Hancock, NY, USA

Oct 012013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl Diesel

We are full time rvers and have towed our Jeep about 40,000 miles without any issues, until the recent recall. NHTSA #13V75000, Chrysler N23. The very innocuous recall notice spoke of the dot requiring the recall based on a number of cases where the transfer case shifted into neutral on it's own and the vehicle rolled away, causing damage. The recall went on to say that the fix was to take it to the dealer for a software reprogramming to take care of the issue. The recall notice was very carefully and cleverly written to leave one with the impression that a software issue was the cause of the problem, and Jeep was going to fix it with the reflash of the transmission computer. This is not true. The issue is caused by the failure of hardware in the transfer case, and the "fix" offered by Jeep is nothing more than a band aid to meet the strict letter of the demand by the NHTSA. As thousands of Jeep owners are now learning, after the recall they find themselves in a situation where the transfer case will no longer shift into neutral, or 4WD low, at all. I have personal knowledge of dozens of Jeep owners with these issues who never had a problem before the recall. This problem creates a great uncertainty among owners. We don't know if the 4WD system will work when needed, or end up stuck in neutral or 4WD low, making the vehicle unusable. While not being able to tow may not be a safety issue, I think that disabling a 4WD system that many people rely on in bad terrain or weather would be. I don't think that NHTSA has monitored this situation properly and has allowed Chrysler to commit what amounts to a fraud upon their customers. I think NHTSA needs to take another look at this issue.

- Pahrump, NV, USA

Dec 212013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Jeep stalled in traffic. Had to quickly shift to neutral and attempt to restart. Has been in the shop probably 7 times for this issue and still hasn't been fixed.

- Worthington, OH, USA

Aug 302013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I started to get service 4 wd system light this started after I had taken vehicle in for recall about transfer case neutral problem. I had never had a problem before this had it looked at by certified mechanic. He checked all systems and they checked out ok he cleared error code. A day or so later it returned. He said I should return to dealer. They said it was a bad transfer case range sensor. A deeper look and I found that many people have had this same trouble after having flash update for recall. This part has a large back order ( I was told by dealer part over 500 piece ) and they could only order one every 14 days.

- West Deptford, NJ, USA

Oct 142013

Grand Cherokee

After having my vehicle serviced for the N23 recall, the service 4wheel drive indicator has been coming on and I no longer have 4 low. It is at the service center again for the third time. I am concerned that the recall is either not performed properly or isn't an adequate fix to the transmission issues and is creating I unintended problems.

- La Center, WA, USA