9.2

2. ignition module & key fobs replaced (2 reports)
  3. replace harness (2 reports)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Apr 062015

Grand Cherokee

My ignition system failed and my Jeep wouldn't start, I had it towed to the dealer. They said they would have it fixed in 7-10 days, that was a lie. I had a rental for 10 days, its cost me $472 out of pocket. Its been there now for 39 days, it falls under a recall and NO ONE will do anything about it. I have a case number with Chrysler and nothing is still getting done,they will not comp me a rental, all I can do is wait. Every time I call I get a run around from these people at Chrysler Customer Service, this is unreal customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Boynton Beach, USA

Oct 202014

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi

Since late October, early November I haven't been able to start my 2008 Jeep Cherokee Limited on a constant regular basis. Now currently can't get it to start at all. Sometimes it starts but most the time not at all after numerous times of trying. I have not been able to drive my Jeep that I pay $634 a month between insurance and loan payment,  because I never know if it does start will it start after I shut it off or will I be stranded. If it even starts at all to begin with!! This has been going on for MONTHS. I literally can't drive it at all. I did get a recall for the ignition switch, which has not been fixed because EVERY dealership I have called says they don't have the parts and there is nothing they can do for me. Not even give me a loaner vehicle to drive while my Jeep sits in THEIR lot waiting to be fixed. But I don't believe it's just the igniting switch I believe the problem starts with the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module)

- , Muscatine, IA, USA

Jan 152015

Grand Cherokee Limited 3.0L Diesel

TELL THE WORLD ABOUT IT. IF ENOUGH PEOPLE COMPLAIN MAY BE JEEP WILL HAVE A RECALL ON THE ECM MODULE AND WIRING HARNESS.

- , Elkader, IA, USA

Jan 152015

Grand Cherokee Limited 3.0L Diesel

Tell the world about it. After 35 days dealer just got ECM, still no wiring harness. Dealer trying to locate used harness. New wiring harness $925 + ECM $600 + labor

- , Elkader, IA, USA

Aug 182014

Grand Cherokee LX 3.7L V6

We would go somewhere and the car wouldn't start, couldn't shift gears, no radio, nothing. Then wait and would eventually start. We had this problem for the past year, thought it was the remote/key, then the battery, finally a friend said check the starter. Followed the wires and the one was corroded and partially unplugged. Finally got it cleaned and plugged in, the clip retainer was gone. This last 2 weeks it started again. Got stuck at a parking lot in pouring rain and lightning. I had a long screw driver to reach up into it, tapped back together, started right up. Took it to repairman he replaced the harness because of the second plug for the starter was arcing and melting also. So far works fine.

- , Romulus, MI, USA

Aug 002013

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8

Thank God we had the extended warranty. Our deductible was $100 each occurrence. Each key and the ignition module went out at different times. Still the warranty cost $1600 for 3 years.

- , Tinton Falls, NJ, USA

Sep 262013

Grand Cherokee LX 3,2

My Jeep just wouldn't start and I finally got it going enought to get it to my mechanic. After a day or two of diagnosing the problem and talking with Chrysler, they figured out that it was the Ignition Module. My mechanic tried to get the part from the internet, other dealers, other suppliers and from Jeep itself. Nobody had one and they are back ordered for 6 weeks! Can you go six weeks without a vehicle? You will see hundreds of people complaining online about the lack of parts from Chrysler these days - very scary.

This will be last Chrysler product I ever own. R.I.P.

- , Syracuse, NY, USA

Oct 012013

Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7L V6

So Jeep tells me it is a computer module that has gone bad and oh BTW the part is on National Back Order.

Won't have the module until November sometime.....

Understanding that these things happen all I was looking for was a loaner vehicle - Because its a month so far dealership and corporate have done nothing to help.

Either they are switching to a new supplier or this problem is worse than they are saying it is.

I was lucky it happened in my driveway but this could have happened anywhere as there was no warning. They said it isn't a safety issue - I don't know their definition but if this happened on a highway where the car just dies - def a safety issue in my book....

Sad to say I purchased 6 chrysler vehicles over the last 10 years- I won't be purchasing any more....

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 082013

Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7L V6

Same problem as reported on this site - all of a sudden - nothing - car would not start.

towed to dealer and so far they said I need new keys- but not sure that would fix the problem...

Will report back soon

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 272012

Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.4L

No warning for this problem car was running great. Tried to start and got nothing but error message on dash says damaged key. had to have it towed to dealer. Tow truck driver tells me it's a common problem he has towed many jeeps with same problem. dealer tells me that it's not common but seams real familiar with the problem.

- , Middle Island, NY, USA