2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Nov 152015

Grand Cherokee

Sept 26, 2015 driving down the highway at about 65 mph in cruise control, my Jeep just died. Would not start or turn over the engine light oil light and ect light came on. Turns out the timing chain broke damaged intake valve on #2 cylinder and exhaust valve on #8 cylinder. Had the heads inspected valves and timing chain replaced. And new spark plugs, it had 100565 miles on it. Picked it up from the shop on Nov 13, 2015 ran perfectly no vibrations spark knock smooth.. not even 200 miles on it and the same thing driving about 65 mph in eco mode and it just died. The engine light traction control light and ect light and oil light came on. Pulled over on the should it would not start. Had it towed back to the shop.. the same thing timing chain broke and two cylinders have no compression. The shop called the manufacturer of the timing chain and they are puzzled as well about the timing chain breaking so soon after being repaired. Something in the engine is causing extreme harmonics and/or vibration inside the engine and causing excessive force on the timing chain tensioner and guide. However, new parts simply don't break like this if everything is copacetic under the hood.

- Pooler, GA, USA

Sep 262015

Grand Cherokee

I was driving along on the highway about 65 mph and all of a sudden the engine light oil light and the 23. Electronic throttle control (etc) warning light all came on in that order and the engine just died.. no safe place to park and no power steering but was able to get it in a driveway off the road.. it would crank but not turn over.. had to have it towed home.. called Chrysler to see if it had any recalls and they said there were none..then had it scanned read P0340 camshaft sensor had that replaced still did not work.. the mechanic called two days later and said that it was the tipm module and had it towed over to the dealership.. he said he had to dig to find the recall and that my Jeep was manufactured in feburary 2010 and it falls into the recall.. this is not the first time I have had electrical issues such as the radio shutting down and restarting for no reason the remote having new batteries and not unlocking the vehicle..

- Pooler, GA, USA

Nov 262014

Grand Cherokee

During a snow storm on 11/26/2014 while 5 mo. Pregnant my car went off the highway into the middle median during the evening commute because the 4WD did not work.I changed from right lane to left lane at a speed of 30-35mph to allow space for oncoming merging traffic.when changing lanes I kept going left and could not stay on the traveled portion.I had to drive in reverse to get out over the plow bank and into the travel way.once home I could not make it up my 450ft long driveway and the rear end kept sliding out- the 4WD did not work. 5mo pregnant I could not shovel myself out and had to wait until thanksgiving morning for assistance, as a result the plow truck could not clean the driveway.went to the svc dept of my dealership.they informed me there was as software update correcting an issue with the N23 recall.I was about the 6-7 car with a similar issue. At first there was no software update, but it appears a software update was initiated in the fall of 2014 but no communication was made to those who had the N23 recall.I just received a recall notice for a "consumer safety notification" Chrysler published on May 2015.I was informed by Chrysler this evening it is not a "recall" because it is not a safety issue. I filed a complaint. When asked how the complaint process works he said it will be reviewed internally.I asked if someone would call me back or if it is just put in a record somewhere. I was informed it is maintained internally, no one would be calling me back, but it would be reviewed.this is most definitely a safety issue. I could have been hurt, I could have hurt someone, or worse case someone could have died.the car did not perform as expected in challenging conditions. It appears the issue was known about and hence a software update. It is disappointing the public was not notified until May 2015, and that it is not classified as as safety concern.

- Barrington, NH, USA

Jan 092014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

After recall N23 was applied message service 4 wheel drive system comes on and vehicle will not shift into 4 wheel drive low range. Jeep dealers do not have a fix.

- Pottstown, PA, USA

Feb 112014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I had the N23 recall addressed in late 2013 on my 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.7L in order to eliminate the chance for it to shift into neutral randomly. Since this recall was performed, I no longer have the ability to activate my 4WD-low option and instead am greeted with "service 4WD" message. At first I thought it was just a glitch but after it kept occurring, I finally took it to be looked at in February 2014. I was told that I need a transfer case actuator and that they were on back order. For the next 3 months, I checked in with the dealer every other week only to be told that there was still no update on the part and they were still on back order. Not once was I ever told that this issue is likely related to the N23 recall. During the last call, I was told that Chrysler had rolled out a new software fix and that I need to bring in my Jeep (I was also told that the actuator order had been cancelled per Chrysler direction). I've been following a thread on a Jeep user forum that has clearly laid out this issue and the fact that there is sill no known fix, only an apparent cover up by Chrysler and all parties involved. In the last 3 months since I first formally went in to have this looked at, no one has called me or made an effort to resolve it. This is unacceptable. I have paid a lot of money and put in a lot of time with this vehicle only to have key features not work. This in itself is a safety hazard. If I were to get stuck and need 4W-low and wasn't aware that it wasn't available, we would have bigger problems. I'm currently scheduled to take it in again on 5/31/14 to have the "new fix" applied and I have low expectations. Chrysler needs to address this issue and start rolling out new parts that aren't flashed with the N23 and then develop a new N23 that doesn't affect the 4W-low setting.

- Arlington, VA, USA

May 152014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

While backing up very slowly out of the garage, the transmission jumped from reverse into forward. The gas pedal floored itself and the car accelerated at full speed into the wall of my garage, climbed over the cement foundation, and then the car slammed into the side of my house. My foot was off of the pedals as I was thrown around the inside of the car. The airbags did not go off even though the windshield was shattered. The only reason the car finally stopped was because it had been severely damaged as it drove itself over the cement foundation of the garage. The car was declared totaled by my insurance company.

- Weston, MA, USA

Jan 012014

Asdf

- City, GA, USA

Nov 042013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the key suddenly slipped out of the ignition switch however, the engine did not power off. The contact took the vehicle to the local dealer and was informed that the win module was defective. No repairs were performed on the vehicle. The contact called the manufacturer and was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Oct 062013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Unintentional shifting of the transfer case into the neutral position. The vehicle rolled back. This occurred in a parking lot and at a home driveway.

- Shenorock, NY, USA

Oct 132013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

On three separate occasions, vehicle check engine light went on/off within a matter of seconds. The first time was approximately one week prior to the most current two occurrences which happened about 30mins-1 hour apart. Vehicle was taken to the dealership and they advised that the system had recorded no error codes and were unable to determine what if anything caused the check engine light to illuminate.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 282013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the front wheels seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician performed the repairs under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) however, the failure continued. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Berlin, NJ, USA

Aug 092013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4. The contact stated received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) and stated that the remedy part remained unavailable beyond a reasonable time frame. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

May 222013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Vehicle shifted from neutral and accelerated striking the side of the garage. Parking brakes would not engage, causing significant damage to the vehicle and garage. Air bags did not deploy. I believe this accident was caused by a pending Jeep recall. NHTSA's # 13V175000.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Jul 292012

Grand Cherokee

We purchased the vehicle on a Saturday evening and were sitting in a burger king drive through the next morning and the vehicle gave an alarm that said transmission over temp and the vehicle cut off. It was not in park, it was in drive with my foot on the brake. I had to restart the Jeep and it was immediately sent back to the dealer. They did numerous tests for a week and did not find any problem.

- South Hill, VA, USA

Sep 182010

Grand Cherokee

See attached letter dated 25 March 2010 ( should read 25 March 2011) briefly summarized: The vehicle engine will speed up to between 4000 and 5000 RPM's for no reason and the only way to get this to stop is to pull over to the side of the road and shut the engine off and restart it. This has happened numerous times and it is only a matter of time before someone is killed.

- Rochester, NY, USA